Running another application from within Foxpro
Author Message
 Running another application from within Foxpro

I need someone elses brain power!  I am working on an application that
is constructed in FPW 2.5b.  I have a module that needs to shell out
and run Excel(windows) in the Win95 environment.

The code goes out and runs Excel and then immediately returns to foxpro
and executes the next command.  If I run it from the command window
with no instruction pending it runs Excel and waits for me to exit
Excel before it returns to Foxpro, however if it is run
programmatically it doesn't stop.

Any ideas on how to stop the program execution until Excel is exited
and then run the next instruction.  Currently I have a wait command
behind the execution, but that requires the user to hit a key stroke
upon returning to Foxpro.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Brad

Wed, 01 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Running another application from within Foxpro
|I need someone elses brain power!  I am working on an application that
|is constructed in FPW 2.5b.  I have a module that needs to shell out
|and run Excel(windows) in the Win95 environment.
|
|The code goes out and runs Excel and then immediately returns to foxpro
|and executes the next command.  If I run it from the command window
|with no instruction pending it runs Excel and waits for me to exit
|Excel before it returns to Foxpro, however if it is run
|programmatically it doesn't stop.
|
|Any ideas on how to stop the program execution until Excel is exited
|and then run the next instruction.  Currently I have a wait command
|behind the execution, but that requires the user to hit a key stroke
|upon returning to Foxpro.

-Brad
Try looking for the following Knowledge Base article from the Microsoft KB.

How to Pause Program Execution During a RUN Command           [foxpro]
ID: Q110117

You can access the KB on the WWW at http://www.microsoft.com

or on CompuServe (GO MDKB)

--Chris :-{) [MSFT]

Sun, 05 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Running another application from within Foxpro
Chris

Don't try the RUN.  Use DDE functions to accomplish what you want.  You
can talk to excel with all of the commands that are available to the excel
user.

I did this type of approach to produce a mass mailling from a foxpro
database that used word to print all the letters for each person from the
data base.

this way you control the way excel is used.  If my memory serves me right,
the DDE commands in Foxpro can control the way you open excel (ontop in
background).

Ray

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Running another application from within Foxpro
Chris

Don't try the RUN.  Use DDE functions to accomplish what you want.  You
can talk to excel with all of the commands that are available to the excel
user.

I did this type of approach to produce a mass mailling from a foxpro
database that used word to print all the letters for each person from the
data base.

this way you control the way excel is used.  If my memory serves me right,
the DDE commands in Foxpro can control the way you open excel (ontop in
background).

Ray

Mon, 06 Jul 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Calling other Fox Applications within a previouly running Fox APP

2. How to activate another Windows application from within VFP application

3. Executing A Procedure Or Program Within Another FoxPro Application

4. Foxpro W2.6 selecting pages within the application

5. How to execute an external application from within FoxPro

6. Running Foxpro from within Web Browser control

7. FoxPro Run command From within Metaframe

8. Running FoxPro 2.5 Applications under Visual FoxPro

9. Run .exe from within Foxpro app

10. Starting an application via the command line vs Run|Application

11. RUN/! command error in applications run on Windows95

12. Error running custom Foxpro application