Beginning user of VFP - Backward DATA compatibility with FP 2.5
Author Message
 Beginning user of VFP - Backward DATA compatibility with FP 2.5

A couple of questions:

1. If you include an existing FP database ("table in VFP") into a VFP
database, it prompts you that it will change something in the
structure of the file for which you will have to use COPY TO to return
to using FP 2.5. Does anybody know what the actual change is?

2. Because I was cautious to put my existing table into a VFP
database, I created a form by manually placing a table into the Data
Environment and from there placed fields onto my form. No problem so
far, but when I RUN the form, I get a blank screen, no controls at
all. What am I doing stupidly and wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mon, 02 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Beginning user of VFP - Backward DATA compatibility with FP 2.5

Quote:

> A couple of questions:

> 1. If you include an existing FP database ("table in VFP") into a VFP
> database, it prompts you that it will change something in the
> structure of the file for which you will have to use COPY TO to return
> to using FP 2.5. Does anybody know what the actual change is?

Since VFP introduced the DBC (database container), it had to change
the header layout of tables (database in FP2.x) in order to support
the DBC functions such as NULL support, validation, persistent
relationships, etc.  So if you want to use your old tables, you can,
they are now called "free tables", but if you want to bring them
into a DBC, VFP needs to upgrade their headers which will make them
unusable by FP2.x.  And, like the book says, to revert to FP2.x
format, you need to COPY them to a new table with the 2.x format
option.

-- Tim

Mon, 09 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. _CUROBJ and Backward compatibility

2. Commands like "@ SAY" and backward compatibility

3. Compatibility between FPW 2.5 and VFP 6.0

4. Correct use of Data Environment for ex FPD 2.5 User

5. Indexing with FP 2.0 from FP 2.5

6. DBF Compatibility (Foxpro 2.0 To Foxpro 2.5)

7. FPW 2.5/2.6 Compatibility Problems

8. Foxpro 2.5 / Visual Foxpro compatibility

9. FP Dos 2.5 to VFP 3.0 How!!!!!

10. Backward Conversion of Reports VFP -> FPW

11. newbie question, FP 2.5 D

12. newbie question, FP 2.5 DOS