ActiveDocument - what is it?
Author Message
 ActiveDocument - what is it?

Starting from VFP6 Micrsoft has introduced a feature called the
ActiveDocument.
According to the help the purpose of it was to allow an application to run
in the Internet Explorer.
Why would one want to run an application in a web browser?
What are the scenarios?

I know some banks offer services called internet banking, ie they use thin
client hosted by a web browser.
Will the ActiveDocment based project work in a similar fashion?

How the ActiveDocument is to interact with the server's data?

If there is internet resourses available online to read on more on the
issue, I'd appreciate anyone for the information.

Thanks

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:25:55 GMT
 ActiveDocument - what is it?
Hello, ILiya!
You wrote  on Fri, 14 Mar 2003 10:25:55 +0300:

 I> I know some banks offer services called internet banking, ie they use
 I> thin client hosted by a web browser.
 I> Will the ActiveDocment based project work in a similar fashion?

 I> How the ActiveDocument is to interact with the server's data?

 I> If there is internet resourses available online to read on more on the
 I> issue, I'd appreciate anyone for the information.

 I> Thanks

I have never worked with AD's but just wanted to say that AD's are no longer
supported in VFP8. From the list of removed items (vfp8 help):
<vfp_help>
* Functionality: Hosting for Active Documents, though Visual FoxPro retains
the Active Documents class. Visual FoxPro does not include a Vfp8run.exe
file because the support file is no longer distributed with Visual FoxPro.
</vfp_help>
---
Eric den Doop

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:32:53 GMT
 ActiveDocument - what is it?
Why do they cut down features?
Is that how they see the future?

Quote:
> I have never worked with AD's but just wanted to say that AD's are no
longer
> supported in VFP8. From the list of removed items (vfp8 help):
> <vfp_help>
> * Functionality: Hosting for Active Documents, though Visual FoxPro
retains
> the Active Documents class. Visual FoxPro does not include a Vfp8run.exe
> file because the support file is no longer distributed with Visual FoxPro.
> </vfp_help>
> ---
> Eric den Doop
> www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 16:56:52 GMT
 ActiveDocument - what is it?
ActiveDoc never was a really robust feature, and data access was usually
through the deprecated RDS.

It was much touted as a new feature but it was mostly marketing hype. Today,
it is considered a security flaw that web-based apps can download and
execute in a client browser. This feature was the source for the ONE
Microsoft security bulletin about VFP.

Dan

Quote:
> Why do they cut down features?
> Is that how they see the future?

> > I have never worked with AD's but just wanted to say that AD's are no
> longer
> > supported in VFP8. From the list of removed items (vfp8 help):
> > <vfp_help>
> > * Functionality: Hosting for Active Documents, though Visual FoxPro
> retains
> > the Active Documents class. Visual FoxPro does not include a Vfp8run.exe
> > file because the support file is no longer distributed with Visual
FoxPro.
> > </vfp_help>
> > ---
> > Eric den Doop
> > www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:47:09 GMT
 ActiveDocument - what is it?
Hi, ILiya!
You wrote  on Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:56:52 +0300:

 I> Why do they cut down features?
 I> Is that how they see the future?

There is a lot of other more powerfull tools to make web-based VFP
applications, than ActiveDocument... I don't know (maybe someone can correct
me) any good Web-based application, based on AD, but I can see really good
VFPWeb apps based on other techniques :)

WBR, Igor

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 03:41:47 GMT
 ActiveDocument - what is it?

Quote:
> Starting from VFP6 Micrsoft has introduced a feature called the
> ActiveDocument.

AvtiveDocument - what is it? It is best forgotten. A technology idea
Microsoft has abandoned.

-Anders

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:18:11 GMT
 ActiveDocument - what is it?
Heya -
I recently remembered that west web web connect has a util to render an
existing vfp form into dhtml.
you may want to check it out as well at www.west-wind.com

regards [Bill]

Quote:
> Starting from VFP6 Micrsoft has introduced a feature called the
> ActiveDocument.
> According to the help the purpose of it was to allow an application to run
> in the Internet Explorer.
> Why would one want to run an application in a web browser?
> What are the scenarios?

> I know some banks offer services called internet banking, ie they use thin
> client hosted by a web browser.
> Will the ActiveDocment based project work in a similar fashion?

> How the ActiveDocument is to interact with the server's data?

> If there is internet resourses available online to read on more on the
> issue, I'd appreciate anyone for the information.

> Thanks

Sat, 10 Sep 2005 23:16:33 GMT

1. Running a VFP6 ActiveDocument

2. ActiveDocument Samples?

3. Problems with ActiveDocuments

4. Time Conversion to AM PM

5. i am a biginner

6. I am Puzzled ??????

7. FoxProW 2.6 memory bug, or am I stoopid?

8. Where AM I in my FoxPro index?

9. Where AM I in my FoxP

10. Upgrading from dBASE 4 - Am I Doing the *Right* Thing

11. Due to FoxPro 2.6 TollHelp.DLL, I am switch my OS/2

12. Anders, Cindy and Remus I appreciate your help - Where I am at this point