VFP 6.0 Intermittently Hangs When Opening Shared DBF Files
Author Message
 VFP 6.0 Intermittently Hangs When Opening Shared DBF Files

VFP 6.0 will intermittently hang when attempting to open
(USE) a shared DBF file.  After waiting a few minutes, the
file will open and everything seems fine. This also occurs
in VFP 6.0 applications I developed.  The DBF files are
located on an NT server and are accessed by several users
in shared mode.  The problem occurs on different tables at
different times.  All DBF files are always open in shared
mode and some of the files are lookup tables that are
never updated by the users.  The application that uses
these files uses pessimistic table buffering.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cliff Kizuka

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:29:23 GMT
 VFP 6.0 Intermittently Hangs When Opening Shared DBF Files
Cliff,

Do you work with transactions that take longer than 1-2 seconds, ie

Begin TRanscation
user must input things, .... may take long
end transaction

seems to me that other datasessions cannot access the tables involved in a
transaction

------

| VFP 6.0 will intermittently hang when attempting to open
| (USE) a shared DBF file.  After waiting a few minutes, the
| file will open and everything seems fine. This also occurs
| in VFP 6.0 applications I developed.  The DBF files are
| located on an NT server and are accessed by several users
| in shared mode.  The problem occurs on different tables at
| different times.  All DBF files are always open in shared
| mode and some of the files are lookup tables that are
| never updated by the users.  The application that uses
| these files uses pessimistic table buffering.
|
| Does anybody have any suggestions?
|
| Thanks,
| Cliff Kizuka

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:00:33 GMT
 VFP 6.0 Intermittently Hangs When Opening Shared DBF Files
Hello,

Make sure that dbf/fpt files etc are not in the file scan list of a resident
virus scanner

--
Eric den Doop
www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts

Quote:
> VFP 6.0 will intermittently hang when attempting to open
> (USE) a shared DBF file.  After waiting a few minutes, the
> file will open and everything seems fine. This also occurs
> in VFP 6.0 applications I developed.  The DBF files are
> located on an NT server and are accessed by several users
> in shared mode.  The problem occurs on different tables at
> different times.  All DBF files are always open in shared
> mode and some of the files are lookup tables that are
> never updated by the users.  The application that uses
> these files uses pessimistic table buffering.

> Does anybody have any suggestions?

> Thanks,
> Cliff Kizuka

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:00:30 GMT
 VFP 6.0 Intermittently Hangs When Opening Shared DBF Files
The application does include transactions, but does not
wait for user input within the transaction.  Also, some of
the DBF flies that hang the application are lookup tables
that are currently static and are not updated.

Thanks,
Cliff

Quote:

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:20:31 GMT
 VFP 6.0 Intermittently Hangs When Opening Shared DBF Files
I'll give it a try and see if that clears the problem.

Thanks,
Cliff Kizuka

Quote:

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:29:05 GMT

1. Slow opening of shared DBF under W2K as Server

2. Conversion Open Acess 4 files (.DF) into Vfp (.DBF ) tables

3. Opening all File types in VFP 6.0

4. share clipper dbf files

5. Slow opening of shared file in W2K Network

6. sharing files over network in VFoxPro 6.0

7. VFP 6.0 XGenTabs Hangs

8. VFP 6.0 and sharing COM1

9. Foxpro loses open DBF files

10. How to make earlier version Foxpro DBF files in Visual Foxpro 6.0

11. open a dbf with a missing fpt file

12. Error opening old dbf file.