Help me Speed up my Program
Author Message
 Help me Speed up my Program

I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions allows my
customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a relationship
set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third table
is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and Price.

On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I have
it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list box,
the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in the
Child table.

THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a 486-66w/
8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20 seconds
to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on the
list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the form
screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any other
products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by just
using FoxProw?

Help!?!?!?!?

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help me Speed up my Program

Quote:

> I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions allows my
> customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a relationship
> set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third table
> is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and Price.

> On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I have
> it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list box,
> the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in the
> Child table.

> THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a 486-66w/
> 8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20 seconds
> to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on the
> list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the form
> screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

> I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
> PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any other
> products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by just
> using FoxProw?

> Help!?!?!?!?

These a lots of things you can do with the config.fpw.
- make sure your temp area is on a hard drive
- sort area, etc on hard drive
- memlimit should read something like 40,4096,2048

Appending a record locks the entire data base, this can cause a lot of
wait time.  You might think about recycling deleted records.  In fact,
we make sure that everynight, at least 100 deleted records exist in all
our data bases so that we do record locks instead of append blanks.
This takes some time to set up but is well worthy of your time.
--
Paul Schram, Business Technology Consultant
The Metropolitan Toronto Housing Company Limited

"Your circumstances do not make you, they reveal you."

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help me Speed up my Program

It sounds as if much of your problem has to do with the field-list box.
 It's probably loading into an array.  Consider using a browse
technique, against the actual table, rather than an array.  Several
good books (including a few by George Goley) will have detailed advice
on how to set this up -- look in the indexes under 'List' or 'Browse'
and associated subtitles.

VinM

*-----------------------------

Quote:

>I have developed an application in FPW2.6a.  One of the functions
allows my
>customer to create quotes.  I have three tables opened with a
relationship
>set between two of them, we'll call them Parent and Child.  The third
table
>is the Inventory table with three fields: Part_id, Description, and
Price.

>On a form screen, I have the part_id field appearing in a list box.  I
have
>it setup so that if they double click on a part_id number in the list
box,
>the Part ID, Description, and Price are appended as a new record in
the
>Child table.

>THE PROBLEM:  I loaded the Inventory with 10,000 records.  On a
486-66w/
>8MB, it took approximately 2 minutes to load the form screen and 20
seconds
>to move between part_id  numbers(by just typing when the focus is on
the
>list box).  On a Pentium-100 w/32MB, it took 30 seconds to load the
form
>screen and 7 seconds to move between part_id numbers.

>I do have the Inventory table indexed on Part_id.  I have heard that
>PHDbase speeds things up.  Will it really do the job?  Is there any
other
>products that do it better?  Is there a way for me to speed it up by
just
>using FoxProw?

>Help!?!?!?!?

Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help me Speed up my Program

Paul, instead of a list box, consider a browse. A browse used with JKEY.FLL
works very nicely and is very fast. JKEY gives you incremental search
ability.
Walt

Mon, 13 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help me Speed up my Program

The List box is recommended only for < 1000 Records
(Might be less, but that number sticks in my head, could
be my Visa bill <g>)

You might want to try a browse window and do an
On Key Label ENTER Keyboard {CTRL-W} on
the way into the browse, this will allow you to close the browse
on an ENTER key press.  If you have to you can Select into
a Cursor to get the order correct.  I have browse screens with
over 10,000 records come up in under a sec.

Lemme know if you need more info...

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Help me Speed up my Program

Why dont you just use Insert Into {table} from memvar?
We have found this to be almost instantaneous... Especially
with Foxpro 2.X...

Did you find where this didnt work good?

> These a lots of things you can do with the config.fpw.
> - make sure your temp area is on a hard drive
> - sort area, etc on hard drive
> - memlimit should read something like 40,4096,2048

> Appending a record locks the entire data base, this can cause a lot of
> wait time.  You might think about recycling deleted records.  In fact,
> we make sure that everynight, at least 100 deleted records exist in all
> our data bases so that we do record locks instead of append blanks.
> This takes some time to set up but is well worthy of your time.
> --
> Paul Schram, Business Technology Consultant
> The Metropolitan Toronto Housing Company Limited

> "Your circumstances do not make you, they reveal you."

Fri, 17 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. ups shipping program

2. Help Speed up my Program!

3. need to speed up program execution

4. Foxpro performance - Speed of access to program cache.

5. Pop Ups with Icons

6. VFP & UPS/FedEx

7. COM for APC UPS

8. Anybody interfacing with UPS shipping software?

9. Printing UPS barcodes/maxicodes/bullet codes

10. UPS Online Tracking - XML

11. lock-ups in W98, on NT4 network?

12. Need help improving lookup speed.