Migrating Foxpro 2.5 from Novell 3.2 to a windows 200 server environment on windows XP
Author Message
 Migrating Foxpro 2.5 from Novell 3.2 to a windows 200 server environment on windows XP

I am working on a major conversion we are trying to move an entire
Foxpro 2.5 b App into a windows 2000 server with win XP as the
frontend. any comments or cautions are welcome.

Laxman

Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:52:26 GMT
 Migrating Foxpro 2.5 from Novell 3.2 to a windows 200 server environment on windows XP
Laxman,
As long as W2K has SP2 applied, I don't think you'll have any problems.
Theoretically a file server is a file server. If this is a FP DOS
application, you may need to tweak so "shortcut" settings to get the mouse
to work, and you should have a MEMLIMIT in the CONFIG.FP file (I've had
problems if the max is over 16MB). If this is FP for Windows, then you'll
definitely need to apply the High Speed CPU patch to the runtime, and the
MEMLIMIT comment also applies here.

Rick

Quote:
> I am working on a major conversion we are trying to move an entire
> Foxpro 2.5 b App into a windows 2000 server with win XP as the
> frontend. any comments or cautions are welcome.

> Laxman

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 03:12:20 GMT
 Migrating Foxpro 2.5 from Novell 3.2 to a windows 200 server environment on windows XP
If it's FP for DOS, you *may* find that it hoovers up 100% CPU time on
your XP machine. There are ways of limiting this which you'll find by
searching the Fox newsgroups.

You may need to add a file handles setting on the XP machines, open up
your %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT and add FILES=220

If it's a multiuser app I would turn off OpportunisticLocking and
CachedOpenLimit on the server.

Make any virus scanners ignore the tables.

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 15:56:28 GMT
 Migrating Foxpro 2.5 from Novell 3.2 to a windows 200 server environment on windows XP

yes. to save time, here are at least 2 options so far:

1. run dosidle.com attached before you start foxpro
2. replace all INKEY() calls with READ.

Quote:

--
may the force, the farce and linux be with you.

  dosidle.com
< 1K Download

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:21:44 GMT

1. Screen Capture problems Running Foxpro 2.5 in a Windows NT 4.0 Environment

2. Running FPW 2.6 under Windows 200

3. FoxPro 2.5 for Windows as a DDE Server

4. 2.6 browse wind diffs from 2.5?

5. Data Corruption in Foxpro 2.5 DOS over Novell 3.11

6. FoxPro 2.5 MSDOS: Printer setups in multi-user environment

7. FoxPro 2.5 for DOS and Novell Client

8. Urgent help: Foxpro 2.5 for DOS, Win95 workstation, TTS on Novell 4.10

9. FoxPro 2.5 DOS and Novell 4.11 memory problems

10. Migrating from Foxpro 2.6a to SQL Server

11. FoxPro 2.5 (DOS/Windows) under Windows NT ?

12. Migrating from Foxpro 2.6a DOS to SQL Server