Table structure for a FIFO-inventory-control system
Author Message
 Table structure for a FIFO-inventory-control system

Hi all,

I have a project to maintain an inventory control using FIFO method. While I
understand how the FIFO (first in-first out) method works manually, I am a
bit confuse to determine the table structure to store the item. Can you
share your thought about this matter?

TIA,
Willianto

Fri, 23 Sep 2005 23:08:13 GMT
 Table structure for a FIFO-inventory-control system
Hi Willianto:

I looked on the Web and on Uinversalthread.com to see if I could find you a
'ready made' table structure.  I did not find one.

In general, you want to use data normalization techniques when developing
any table structure. While I have never developed an inventory application
myself, I think you need to start by having fields for the  date the
product was received, the date the product was sold, the price, the
quantity, as well as the quantity sold.  An important consideration is how
you are going to extract the data.  I assume you will use an SQL-SELECT
statement.  If so, you need to make sure you have index on all the fields
used in your queries.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Hi all,
>I have a project to maintain an inventory control using FIFO method. While
>understand how the FIFO (first in-first out) method works manually, I am a
>bit confuse to determine the table structure to store the item. Can you
>share your thought about this matter?
>TIA,
>Willianto

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 02:34:11 GMT
 Table structure for a FIFO-inventory-control system
You might look over someone elses table structure, if you have access to an
accounting application like Accpac or Great Plains. Generally, there is a
'tier' system in use. As items are recieved, the go into the master
inventory table, and a tier table. Monday you recieve 100 widgets, and your
application creates a record in the tier table , tier 1, with 100 items in
it; as well as incrementing the master table count for widgets. Wednesday
you get 50 more widgets; now you have 150 widgets in the master table and 2
tiers in the tier table with 50 and 100 widgets in it respectively. Make
sure your application expenses the oldest tier when you're issueing
inventory.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a project to maintain an inventory control using FIFO method. While
> understand how the FIFO (first in-first out) method works manually, I am a
> bit confuse to determine the table structure to store the item. Can you
> share your thought about this matter?

> TIA,
> Willianto

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 04:10:52 GMT
 Table structure for a FIFO-inventory-control system
Hi Willianto:

Yes, glen makes some excellent points.  Do you have access to the
PreachTree or SBT accounting packages?  I know people work with and modify
SBT code and tables all the time.

Finally, you might want to look for a college textbook on database design.
You might find an example or an exercise that includes creating an
inventory table structure.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>You might look over someone elses table structure, if you have access to an
>accounting application like Accpac or Great Plains. Generally, there is a
>'tier' system in use. As items are recieved, the go into the master
>inventory table, and a tier table. Monday you recieve 100 widgets, and your
>application creates a record in the tier table , tier 1, with 100 items in
>it; as well as incrementing the master table count for widgets. Wednesday
>you get 50 more widgets; now you have 150 widgets in the master table and 2
>tiers in the tier table with 50 and 100 widgets in it respectively. Make
>sure your application expenses the oldest tier when you're issueing
>inventory.

Quote:
> Hi all,

> I have a project to maintain an inventory control using FIFO method. While
> understand how the FIFO (first in-first out) method works manually, I am a
> bit confuse to determine the table structure to store the item. Can you
> share your thought about this matter?

> TIA,
> Willianto

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:25:20 GMT
 Table structure for a FIFO-inventory-control system
Hi Lee, Hi Glen,

Thanks for all of your reply, and sorry for a late follow up :-)

Unfortunatelly I don't have any access to the accounting packages you've
mentioned. Well, I think I have to figure it out my self. It's OK tough.

Quote:
> Finally, you might want to look for a college textbook on database design.
> You might find an example or an exercise that includes creating an
> inventory table structure.

Yes Lee, I am searching my garage for my old college text books. I graduated
from a CS department, and yes, I had two semester of Database lecturer. I
think I used Relational Database Design from Gio Wiederhold. But, as far as
I can recall, the case given was very simple compares to the one we have in
a real world although --- of course --- the normalization rules et all still
valid.

Thanks for your suggestion anyway. I'll post another question concerning
table structure if I have any problem. And I promise that my next question
will be specific <g>. Thanks!

WBR,
Willianto

Quote:
> Hi Willianto:

> Yes, glen makes some excellent points.  Do you have access to the
> PreachTree or SBT accounting packages?  I know people work with and modify
> SBT code and tables all the time.

> Finally, you might want to look for a college textbook on database design.
> You might find an example or an exercise that includes creating an
> inventory table structure.

> I hope this helps.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

> >You might look over someone elses table structure, if you have access to
an
> >accounting application like Accpac or Great Plains. Generally, there is a
> >'tier' system in use. As items are recieved, the go into the master
> >inventory table, and a tier table. Monday you recieve 100 widgets, and
your
> >application creates a record in the tier table , tier 1, with 100 items
in
> >it; as well as incrementing the master table count for widgets. Wednesday
> >you get 50 more widgets; now you have 150 widgets in the master table and
2
> >tiers in the tier table with 50 and 100 widgets in it respectively. Make
> >sure your application expenses the oldest tier when you're issueing
> >inventory.

> > Hi all,

> > I have a project to maintain an inventory control using FIFO method.
While
> > understand how the FIFO (first in-first out) method works manually, I am
> > bit confuse to determine the table structure to store the item. Can you
> > share your thought about this matter?

> > TIA,
> > Willianto

Thu, 29 Sep 2005 14:54:49 GMT

1. Anyone know of a stockroom inventory system?

2. Inventory System

3. Copying DBC structure & associated table structures

4. INVENTORY CONTROL FREEWARE / SHAREWARE

5. WTB: Inventory Control

6. SBT interface for Inventory Control ?

7. Programmatically ALTERing TABLE structure of SQL table from VFP

8. help!!! file system structure error

9. Controlling Data Structure in SQL

10. FIFO Concept Question

11. Concepts Progblem - FIFO / LIFO / W.A.M / CMV

12. FIFO Concept