Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions
Author Message
 Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions

I have an old FoxPro 2.5 DOS application that the customer is very happy
with.  I I  just make sure all the dates are 4 digit dates, should it still
run on her machine - it's running OK now - at the end of this year?  She's
running in a Windows 95 environment.

I can't run her application successfully on my machine - I get a "too many
files open" error when I try to do many things.  I have a 300Mhz machine
using Windows NT.  Is it the NT or the speed that's causing me problems?
When I had a 250Mhz machine with Windows 95, I could run all my old DOS apps
fine - even dBase IV once I had the temporary file naming fix in place.

Either way, we're soon going to have to replace her system - but since she's
happy with her current system, it looks like an attempt to fix something
that's not broken right now..

TIA

Karen McNitt

Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions
I think you might be having the problem with FP2.x on fast computers.
There's a utility you can search for called SlowStart, I believe.  Repost
here if you have trouble finding it.

If your client is happy with your solution then it should be fine (but keep
in mind I am NOT a lawyer :-).  However, she will still be able to enter two
digit years.  You should probably talk to her about how she wants it to
default if she does so.  I don't *think* that the FP2.x  SET CENTURY has the
ROLLOVER clause, it will be an issue for her.

Good luck.

Nancy Folsom
MS FoxPro MVP

Quote:

>I have an old FoxPro 2.5 DOS application that the customer is very happy
>with.  I I  just make sure all the dates are 4 digit dates, should it still
>run on her machine - it's running OK now - at the end of this year?  She's
>running in a Windows 95 environment.

>I can't run her application successfully on my machine - I get a "too many
>files open" error when I try to do many things.  I have a 300Mhz machine
>using Windows NT.  Is it the NT or the speed that's causing me problems?
>When I had a 250Mhz machine with Windows 95, I could run all my old DOS
apps
>fine - even dBase IV once I had the temporary file naming fix in place.

>Either way, we're soon going to have to replace her system - but since
she's
>happy with her current system, it looks like an attempt to fix something
>that's not broken right now..

>TIA

>Karen McNitt

Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions
Nancy,

I think the problem with 2.x on fast computers only applies to FP/Win. As
Bob Ruple said the problem with NT is probably a file handles issue.

You're right that there's no SET CENTURY ROLLOVER in 2.x. This means that
all two digit years will be interpreted as 19xx. There's a utility called
Y2KFox that adds rollover capabilities to 2.x. More info is available at
http://www.netlib.com/y2kfox.htm

Even with 4 digit date entry an application can still have Y2K problems. You
need to make sure that no code in the application ever uses 2 digits for the
year. Also, the LUPDATE() function is not Y2K compatible.

--
Josh Weiss
Tremont Technologies, Inc.

Quote:

>I think you might be having the problem with FP2.x on fast computers.
>There's a utility you can search for called SlowStart, I believe.  Repost
>here if you have trouble finding it.

>If your client is happy with your solution then it should be fine (but keep
>in mind I am NOT a lawyer :-).  However, she will still be able to enter
two
>digit years.  You should probably talk to her about how she wants it to
>default if she does so.  I don't *think* that the FP2.x  SET CENTURY has
the
>ROLLOVER clause, it will be an issue for her.

>Good luck.

>--
>--
>Nancy Folsom
>MS FoxPro MVP

>>I have an old FoxPro 2.5 DOS application that the customer is very happy
>>with.  I I  just make sure all the dates are 4 digit dates, should it
still
>>run on her machine - it's running OK now - at the end of this year?  She's
>>running in a Windows 95 environment.

>>I can't run her application successfully on my machine - I get a "too many
>>files open" error when I try to do many things.  I have a 300Mhz machine
>>using Windows NT.  Is it the NT or the speed that's causing me problems?
>>When I had a 250Mhz machine with Windows 95, I could run all my old DOS
>apps
>>fine - even dBase IV once I had the temporary file naming fix in place.

>>Either way, we're soon going to have to replace her system - but since
>she's
>>happy with her current system, it looks like an attempt to fix something
>>that's not broken right now..

>>TIA

>>Karen McNitt

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions
Josh,
The problem with 2.x also applies to FP Dos 2.6. I saw it fail on a HP
Pavillion Pentium II, 266Mhz.

--
Brett Slattery

Quote:
>I think the problem with 2.x on fast computers only applies to FP/Win.

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions
Good points, Josh.  Thanks.  I never use LUPDATE, so never remember about it
and my own code's always used 4 digits (does that sound smug, or what? <s>).

Thanks for the info on DOS version, too.

Nancy Folsom
MS FoxPro MVP

Quote:
>Nancy,

>I think the problem with 2.x on fast computers only applies to FP/Win. As
>Bob Ruple said the problem with NT is probably a file handles issue.

>You're right that there's no SET CENTURY ROLLOVER in 2.x. This means that
>all two digit years will be interpreted as 19xx. There's a utility called
>Y2KFox that adds rollover capabilities to 2.x. More info is available at
>http://www.netlib.com/y2kfox.htm

>Even with 4 digit date entry an application can still have Y2K problems.
You
>need to make sure that no code in the application ever uses 2 digits for
the
>year. Also, the LUPDATE() function is not Y2K compatible.

>--
>Josh Weiss
>Tremont Technologies, Inc.
>Boston, MA USA
>http://TremontTech.com
>(remove X's from e-mail address to reply)

>>I think you might be having the problem with FP2.x on fast computers.
>>There's a utility you can search for called SlowStart, I believe.  Repost
>>here if you have trouble finding it.

>>If your client is happy with your solution then it should be fine (but
keep
>>in mind I am NOT a lawyer :-).  However, she will still be able to enter
>two
>>digit years.  You should probably talk to her about how she wants it to
>>default if she does so.  I don't *think* that the FP2.x  SET CENTURY has
>the
>>ROLLOVER clause, it will be an issue for her.

>>Good luck.

>>--
>>--
>>Nancy Folsom
>>MS FoxPro MVP

>>>I have an old FoxPro 2.5 DOS application that the customer is very happy
>>>with.  I I  just make sure all the dates are 4 digit dates, should it
>still
>>>run on her machine - it's running OK now - at the end of this year?  She'
>>>running in a Windows 95 environment.

>>>I can't run her application successfully on my machine - I get a "too
many
>>>files open" error when I try to do many things.  I have a 300Mhz machine
>>>using Windows NT.  Is it the NT or the speed that's causing me problems?
>>>When I had a 250Mhz machine with Windows 95, I could run all my old DOS
>>apps
>>>fine - even dBase IV once I had the temporary file naming fix in place.

>>>Either way, we're soon going to have to replace her system - but since
>>she's
>>>happy with her current system, it looks like an attempt to fix something
>>>that's not broken right now..

>>>TIA

>>>Karen McNitt

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Foxpro 2.5 for DOS - Y2K and new PC questions
Karen,

For the Y2K issues (in addition to the others' advice):

SET CENTURY ON at the beginning of your applications and make sure it isn't
set off anywhere.

Use date data type for dates.

Look through your code for DTOC, DTOS, and CTOD.  Make sure that your data
does not contain any character versions of dates containing a 2-digit year,
which will be used in any crucial way. (Example: you might have a memo field
with "Box 1 of 2 shipped on 01/01/99; box 2 of 2 shipped on 01/13/99".  If
you're not doing any calculations on this field you will probably be OK.  )

Widen the date fields on your forms and reports to show 10 characters.

Instruct your user to enter all 4 digits of the year.  Tell her that
FPD2.6 will always give 20th century for a 2-digit year.

--
Cindy Winegarden
Duke Children's Information Systems

|I have an old FoxPro 2.5 DOS application that the customer is very happy
|with.  I I  just make sure all the dates are 4 digit dates, should it still
|run on her machine -

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Foxpro 2.5 for DOS Y2K Problems

2. Foxpro 2/2.5/2.6 (Dos) - Y2K compatible?

3. Y2K Patch for Foxpro 2.5 DOS?

4. FP 2.5/DOS & Y2K

5. A couple of FoxPro 2.5 (DOS) questions...

6. Converting FOXPRO 2.5 DOS to 2.6 WIN question...

7. URGENT!!! FOXPro 2.5 DOS Question

8. FoxPro 2.5 DOS COM Port I/O Question

9. Blast from the past - FOXR.EXE question FOXPRO 2.5 DOS

10. FoxPro DOS 2.5 in Win DOS Shell

11. Help! Y2k compliant For FoxPro 2.5

12. Y2K issue in FoxPro 2.5