Foxpro 2.5 Attaching files to records?
Author Message
 Foxpro 2.5 Attaching files to records?

In foxpro 2.5 for windows is it possible to attach a file to a specific
record?  For instance, I am creating a resume using a generic word
processor I wrote and want to be able to download it into our database.
I would like to do this for a lot of students that way we can print
their resumes from within foxpro or fax them out using the fax modem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jeff

Jeff Rieman             :       Information Systems Coordinator

                        :       Home - 634-8905
GO BROWNS!!             :       Work - 772-2146

Wed, 16 Jul 1997 21:37:39 GMT
 Foxpro 2.5 Attaching files to records?

Quote:
Rieman) writes:

>In foxpro 2.5 for windows is it possible to attach a file to a specific
>record?  For instance, I am creating a resume using a generic word
>processor I wrote and want to be able to download it into our database.
>I would like to do this for a lot of students that way we can print
>their resumes from within foxpro or fax them out using the fax modem.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Jeff

>--
>Jeff Rieman         :       Information Systems Coordinator

>                    :       Home - 634-8905
>GO BROWNS!!                 :       Work - 772-2146

Jeff,

I would suggest you place the text in a memo field in the record.

Look at "append memo", i think it will do what you want.

Brian Cleverly
Anzam Software
Sacramento  CA

Thu, 17 Jul 1997 09:32:15 GMT

Rieman) writes:

>In foxpro 2.5 for windows is it possible to attach a file to a specific
>record?  For instance, I am creating a resume using a generic word
>processor I wrote and want to be able to download it into our database.
>I would like to do this for a lot of students that way we can print
>their resumes from within foxpro or fax them out using the fax modem.

>Any help would be greatly appreciated!

>Jeff

You can store the file name and directory in a field of the data base.

When you want to print or display the letter, use the low level file
functions (e.g. FOPEN, FREAD). If your word processor supports DDE or if
you can use Word or other DDE-able word processor, you can send the file
directly to the program instructing it what to do (e.g. open, print).

Hope this helps,
Paul Klose

Sat, 19 Jul 1997 01:27:11 GMT
 Foxpro 2.5 Attaching files to records?

Quote:
: Rieman) writes:

: >
[...]

Or if you have path\filename in a data base record you can execute
an operating system comand with the RUN command (!) and pass it the
name of the file. There is an array function that will load filenames
for you.

--

National Marine Fisheries    Woods Hole Ma 02543

Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:23:33 GMT

1. :Re: Foxpro 2.5 Attaching files to records?

2. FoxPro 2.5 File/Record Limits

3. Can I attach icon in Foxpro .exe file

4. FoxPro 2.5 Win dup record question

5. Converting FoxPro 2.5 files to dBase III?

6. Pict files in FoxPro 2.5 MAC

7. YQ¨ Pict files in FoxPro 2.5 MAC

8. FoxPro 2.5 MSDOS: Need list of file extensions

9. trouble Appending records to attached DBF table (ACC 97)

10. Import Old FoxPro 2.5 files into new Project Manager

11. Format of .cdx file in Foxpro 2.5

12. FoxPro 2.5 DOS: fichier d'aide, help file