Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC 
Author Message
 Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC

We need to develop a Customer Service application for use by 125
simultaneous users against a Customer table of 900,000 records with more
records in Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.  The data is in a VFP
DBC.  Speed and network traffic are BIG concerns.  We're thinking of using
VFP forms to access VFP remote views on the server through ODBC.

SQL Server is a future, but not at this time.

Will this function like Client/Server and reduce network traffic?
Are there known problems with this type of implementation?

Thanks for any and all responses!

Steve Lawrence



Sat, 13 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC
Steve,

I'm afraid this won't help you at all. Using ODBC to access VFP tables won't
give you a client/server solution. The VFP ODBC driver is really just a
subset of VFP that includes the data engine. The driver runs on the
workstation so you won't reduce network traffic a bit. Performance of your
application will probably be a little worse because you'll add another layer
of communication. Also, I've found that the VFP ODBC driver is less than
perfect. When you say 125 simultaneous users will all of those people
actually be actively using the application at once? Even if they are you may
still see decent performance as long as your network is fast.

You could use VFP COM objects on the server to handle all the data
processing, but it would probably be faster and cheaper to just go with SQL
Server.

--
Josh Weiss
Tremont Technologies, Inc.
Boston, MA USA
http://TremontTech.com
(remove X's from e-mail address to reply)

Quote:

>We need to develop a Customer Service application for use by 125
>simultaneous users against a Customer table of 900,000 records with more
>records in Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.  The data is in a VFP
>DBC.  Speed and network traffic are BIG concerns.  We're thinking of using
>VFP forms to access VFP remote views on the server through ODBC.

>SQL Server is a future, but not at this time.

>Will this function like Client/Server and reduce network traffic?
>Are there known problems with this type of implementation?

>Thanks for any and all responses!

>Steve Lawrence



Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC
I'd look into building a VFP COM server instead of using ODBC.
-Anders


s.net...

Quote:
> We need to develop a Customer Service application for use by 125
> simultaneous users against a Customer table of 900,000 records with more
> records in Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.  The data is in a VFP
> DBC.  Speed and network traffic are BIG concerns.  We're thinking of using
> VFP forms to access VFP remote views on the server through ODBC.

> SQL Server is a future, but not at this time.

> Will this function like Client/Server and reduce network traffic?
> Are there known problems with this type of implementation?

> Thanks for any and all responses!

> Steve Lawrence



Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC
Hello lister....

I am interested in reading this mail. Right now our company also is
developing application using remote view (VFP DBC). Future will use SQL
Server or Oracle. What I now is even we use DBC in server it is not called
client/server application. What I want to know is how to make VFP COM in
server ?
Another question I want to ask is: we tried a simulation how fast ODBC when
accesing a table.
We created 1 million record in VFP DBC and Access MDB. The structure is the
same including index, field type, etc. When we tried the SQL-Select clause
(in VFP), VFP DBC gave the longer time than Access MDB. The SQL-Select
clause is exactly the same (the result would be 167 records).
Time to get all the data for VFP DBC is about 40 seconds and Access MDB is
about less than 10 seconds. By the way, we tried this on a single computer.
Why VFP DBC takes longer time than Access MDB via ODBC ???
Any suggestions ? Thank you.



Quote:
> Steve,

> I'm afraid this won't help you at all. Using ODBC to access VFP tables
won't
> give you a client/server solution. The VFP ODBC driver is really just a
> subset of VFP that includes the data engine. The driver runs on the
> workstation so you won't reduce network traffic a bit. Performance of your
> application will probably be a little worse because you'll add another
layer
> of communication. Also, I've found that the VFP ODBC driver is less than
> perfect. When you say 125 simultaneous users will all of those people
> actually be actively using the application at once? Even if they are you
may
> still see decent performance as long as your network is fast.

> You could use VFP COM objects on the server to handle all the data
> processing, but it would probably be faster and cheaper to just go with
SQL
> Server.

> --
> Josh Weiss
> Tremont Technologies, Inc.
> Boston, MA USA
> http://TremontTech.com
> (remove X's from e-mail address to reply)



Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC
There is no benefit to using an ODBC Driver to access VFP data while in VFP?

I cannot duplicate your results and tried something similar.

If you use local views and switch to remote views things will probably be
fine.

My guess was an index not being tuned to the request?

And how Access won is beyond me!

Why do you need to add VFP COMM anyway?

__Stephen Russell
Memphis VFP User Group

Quote:

>Hello lister....

>I am interested in reading this mail. Right now our company also is
>developing application using remote view (VFP DBC). Future will use SQL
>Server or Oracle. What I now is even we use DBC in server it is not called
>client/server application. What I want to know is how to make VFP COM in
>server ?
>Another question I want to ask is: we tried a simulation how fast ODBC when
>accesing a table.
>We created 1 million record in VFP DBC and Access MDB. The structure is the
>same including index, field type, etc. When we tried the SQL-Select clause
>(in VFP), VFP DBC gave the longer time than Access MDB. The SQL-Select
>clause is exactly the same (the result would be 167 records).
>Time to get all the data for VFP DBC is about 40 seconds and Access MDB is
>about less than 10 seconds. By the way, we tried this on a single computer.
>Why VFP DBC takes longer time than Access MDB via ODBC ???
>Any suggestions ? Thank you.



>> Steve,

>> I'm afraid this won't help you at all. Using ODBC to access VFP tables
>won't
>> give you a client/server solution. The VFP ODBC driver is really just a
>> subset of VFP that includes the data engine. The driver runs on the
>> workstation so you won't reduce network traffic a bit. Performance of
your
>> application will probably be a little worse because you'll add another
>layer
>> of communication. Also, I've found that the VFP ODBC driver is less than
>> perfect. When you say 125 simultaneous users will all of those people
>> actually be actively using the application at once? Even if they are you
>may
>> still see decent performance as long as your network is fast.

>> You could use VFP COM objects on the server to handle all the data
>> processing, but it would probably be faster and cheaper to just go with
>SQL
>> Server.

>> --
>> Josh Weiss
>> Tremont Technologies, Inc.
>> Boston, MA USA
>> http://TremontTech.com
>> (remove X's from e-mail address to reply)



Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC
Slamat
What were the  index expressions?. What was the query's WHERE clause? Were
the figures averages for several queries or a single query?
VFPODBC is not at all the same as using the VFP own runtime engine with VFP.
VFPODBC enforces filtering of records marked for deletion by default. You
have to add an index on DELETED() to every table in the FROM clause to
achieve full optimization in VFP.
-Anders


Quote:
> Hello lister....

> I am interested in reading this mail. Right now our company also is
> developing application using remote view (VFP DBC). Future will use SQL
> Server or Oracle. What I now is even we use DBC in server it is not called
> client/server application. What I want to know is how to make VFP COM in
> server ?
> Another question I want to ask is: we tried a simulation how fast ODBC
when
> accesing a table.
> We created 1 million record in VFP DBC and Access MDB. The structure is
the
> same including index, field type, etc. When we tried the SQL-Select clause
> (in VFP), VFP DBC gave the longer time than Access MDB. The SQL-Select
> clause is exactly the same (the result would be 167 records).
> Time to get all the data for VFP DBC is about 40 seconds and Access MDB is
> about less than 10 seconds. By the way, we tried this on a single
computer.
> Why VFP DBC takes longer time than Access MDB via ODBC ???
> Any suggestions ? Thank you.



> > Steve,

> > I'm afraid this won't help you at all. Using ODBC to access VFP tables
> won't
> > give you a client/server solution. The VFP ODBC driver is really just a
> > subset of VFP that includes the data engine. The driver runs on the
> > workstation so you won't reduce network traffic a bit. Performance of
your
> > application will probably be a little worse because you'll add another
> layer
> > of communication. Also, I've found that the VFP ODBC driver is less than
> > perfect. When you say 125 simultaneous users will all of those people
> > actually be actively using the application at once? Even if they are you
> may
> > still see decent performance as long as your network is fast.

> > You could use VFP COM objects on the server to handle all the data
> > processing, but it would probably be faster and cheaper to just go with
> SQL
> > Server.

> > --
> > Josh Weiss
> > Tremont Technologies, Inc.
> > Boston, MA USA
> > http://TremontTech.com
> > (remove X's from e-mail address to reply)



Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Updating a VFP Foxpro Table from a Web Page via the VFP ODBC driver/ADO

2. VFP via Access/ODBC

3. Accessing .dbf via vfp odbc

4. Accessing VFP files via ODBC

5. Using SQLConfigDataSource to access mdb file via ODBC

6. Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox

7. Packing VFP table via ODBC call to stored procedure

8. Accessing VFP Tables via Linked server in SQL 2000

9. Acessing VFP Views via VFP ODBC Driver??

10. Using Access ODBC in VFP 6.0

11. VFP 3.0b - Unable to update using ODBC to MS/Access

12. Using VFP database tables through ODBC

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software