Moving .DBC and .DBFs
Author Message
 Moving .DBC and .DBFs

I have done a search in the newsgroups on moving a .DBC and its tables.  It
seems that I have made a major mistake in my design.
"1001 or 1002 Things you want to know about Foxpro" has a section on moving
a database and tables.  Is there an easier way?
If one cannot easily move a .dbc and its tables, how can you distribute
applicatons to a users directory if it is different?
Thanks, John

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 05:57:59 GMT
 Moving .DBC and .DBFs
Your application should either reference data relative to a "home"
directory, or should have a globally available variable or property which
defines the data directory.  I prefer to use a .\Data directory directly off
the directory from which the .exe or .app is launched.

 - Rush

Quote:
> I have done a search in the newsgroups on moving a .DBC and its tables.
It
> seems that I have made a major mistake in my design.
> "1001 or 1002 Things you want to know about Foxpro" has a section on
moving
> a database and tables.  Is there an easier way?
> If one cannot easily move a .dbc and its tables, how can you distribute
> applicatons to a users directory if it is different?
> Thanks, John

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:22:48 GMT
 Moving .DBC and .DBFs
  What problems are you having exactly?  It should not be hard to move data
to other subdirectories, as long as the entire DBC is in the same
subdirectory.  If you have a DBC spread out over multiple subdirectories,
then it can be more difficult.
  I found the reference in "1001 Things You Wanted to Know".  They say the
same thing: it is no problem moving data as long as the entire DBC (that is,
the DBC files and all the related files) are in the same subdirectory.
  So if you made a design error, all you have to do is change it so the DBC
and all its files are in the same subdirectory.
  Does this help?
  Regards, Chaim Caron (New York City)

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:22:16 GMT
 Moving .DBC and .DBFs

Quote:
> I have done a search in the newsgroups on moving a .DBC and its tables.
It
> seems that I have made a major mistake in my design.
> "1001 or 1002 Things you want to know about Foxpro" has a section on
moving
> a database and tables.  Is there an easier way?
> If one cannot easily move a .dbc and its tables, how can you distribute
> applicatons to a users directory if it is different?
> Thanks, John

If the data and other folders your app needs are all subfolders of the
project (and the exe's) folder, then it doesn't matter where the
distribution is installed or what the new top folder is called, as long as
the subfolders are the same. The runtimes nowadays go into Program
Files/Common Files/Microsoft Shared/VFP

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:01:43 GMT

1. Moving tables from one .dbc to another .dbc

2. Moving DBCs+DBFs

3. Merging and Redistributing DBC/DBFs via modem/VFPW5

4. How many DBFs can a DBC handle efficiently ?

5. Moving the DBC and tables

6. VFP moving tables btw DBC question

7. Persistent relationships in DBC - problem moving the parent when child value changes

8. Moving tables between dbc's

9. Can tables be moved around between dbc databases?

10. VFP 3.0b - Move to Front, Move to Back

11. VFP:To DBC or not to DBC

12. Report Writer & Multiple dbfs