Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
Author Message
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0

Well, this one just got dropped in my lap after New Years.
We have a client that moved from Win98 to WinXP and VFP 5.0
to VFP 7.0, or they plan to do that conversion I should say.

The question they pose to me is what do they have to do to
convert their projects/programs/data files to 7.0? Between
6.0 and 7.0 I'd say nothing, just open the project and
everything should work as advertised, but I'm unfamiliar
with anything prior to 6.0 as I only do minimal work with
FoxPro.

Does anyone have any advice on for what pitfalls to look
out for or instructions on steps to take? Thanks in advance.

CG

Mon, 20 Jun 2005 23:55:36 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
On Thu, 2 Jan 2003 07:55:36 -0800, "Chad Guilette"

Quote:

>Well, this one just got dropped in my lap after New Years.
>We have a client that moved from Win98 to WinXP and VFP 5.0
>to VFP 7.0, or they plan to do that conversion I should say.

>The question they pose to me is what do they have to do to
>convert their projects/programs/data files to 7.0? Between
>6.0 and 7.0 I'd say nothing, just open the project and
>everything should work as advertised, but I'm unfamiliar
>with anything prior to 6.0 as I only do minimal work with
>FoxPro.

>Does anyone have any advice on for what pitfalls to look
>out for or instructions on steps to take? Thanks in advance.

It's hard to say without knowing the details of the project. At the
very least I'd expect them to get syntax errors. The compiler has been
tightened up quite a bit in each version. In addition the menu
structure has changed, so they'll need to update that.

If it were me, I'd take the project, make a backup, check that
restoring the backup works, then recompile everything in VFP 7 and
test. They should be prepared to exercise the entire application.

------------------------
Nancy Folsom--FoxPro MVP
Author of _Debugging_Visual_FoxPro_Applications_
http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalogavailability/debugvfp.htm

Download VFP 8.0 Beta (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/)

The Ed Leafe Fox Forum http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:36:34 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
Chad,
The good news is that there are very few potential problems in upgrading
from 5 to 7. Strict date handling (from the Y2K mania) was introduced in VFP
6.0. Tighter syntax in variable declarations appeared in 7.0. And, of course
the potential for newly added system keywords (functions and commands) that
might conflict with your own procedures (and the occasional minor change to
the parameter list or output from certain functions) - in all the upgraded
version. A number of FoxTools.fll functions have gone "native", and in some
cases the function names changed.

Truthfully my biggest headache in 5->6 and 5->7 updates were in the date
constant handling, and you really have two choices, ignore the "errors" by
SET STRICTDATE TO 0 (from the default of 1), or fix all the potential
ambiguous dates. (Depending on how much date handling the app has, this can
be quick and simple or long and tedious!)

Rick

Quote:
> Well, this one just got dropped in my lap after New Years.
> We have a client that moved from Win98 to WinXP and VFP 5.0
> to VFP 7.0, or they plan to do that conversion I should say.

> The question they pose to me is what do they have to do to
> convert their projects/programs/data files to 7.0? Between
> 6.0 and 7.0 I'd say nothing, just open the project and
> everything should work as advertised, but I'm unfamiliar
> with anything prior to 6.0 as I only do minimal work with
> FoxPro.

> Does anyone have any advice on for what pitfalls to look
> out for or instructions on steps to take? Thanks in advance.

> CG

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 02:47:19 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
Hi
If there are considering this move now, it's too late for VFP7. VFP8 is due
for release soon. The public beta is runs till Jan 31, meaning the release
shoulod be before then.
-Anders

Quote:
> Well, this one just got dropped in my lap after New Years.
> We have a client that moved from Win98 to WinXP and VFP 5.0
> to VFP 7.0, or they plan to do that conversion I should say.

> The question they pose to me is what do they have to do to
> convert their projects/programs/data files to 7.0? Between
> 6.0 and 7.0 I'd say nothing, just open the project and
> everything should work as advertised, but I'm unfamiliar
> with anything prior to 6.0 as I only do minimal work with
> FoxPro.

> Does anyone have any advice on for what pitfalls to look
> out for or instructions on steps to take? Thanks in advance.

> CG

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 03:57:12 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
Anders,
While I don't know anything official, I wouldn't bet that VFP 8.0 will be released before the end of
January. The expiration data on the public beta was set back in August last year, and they really
had no idea how beta testing might proceed at that point. It's my understanding that a number of
things have been changed since then, both for better OS integration and even some more feature
enhancements.

We can hope for later this month but I'm not counting on anything other than the official Ken Levy
statement of "... sometime early next year ..." and in MS Speak, that can mean anytime before the
end of June! <g>

Rick

Quote:

> Hi
> If there are considering this move now, it's too late for VFP7. VFP8 is due
> for release soon. The public beta is runs till Jan 31, meaning the release
> shoulod be before then.
> -Anders

> > Well, this one just got dropped in my lap after New Years.
> > We have a client that moved from Win98 to WinXP and VFP 5.0
> > to VFP 7.0, or they plan to do that conversion I should say.

> > The question they pose to me is what do they have to do to
> > convert their projects/programs/data files to 7.0? Between
> > 6.0 and 7.0 I'd say nothing, just open the project and
> > everything should work as advertised, but I'm unfamiliar
> > with anything prior to 6.0 as I only do minimal work with
> > FoxPro.

> > Does anyone have any advice on for what pitfalls to look
> > out for or instructions on steps to take? Thanks in advance.

> > CG

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 07:01:57 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
Chad,
  One problem with going straight to VFP 8.0, as some have suggested in this
thread, is that apps built on VFP 8.0 will run only on Win/2000 and Win/XP
(also one other old OS, maybe Win/98, I don't remember for sure).  They
*might* run on Win/NT but this is "unsupported" my MS.  If you have to
support workstations with older OSs, then better stick to VFP 7.0.
  Regards, Chaim Caron (New York City)

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:11:53 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0

Quote:

>  One problem with going straight to VFP 8.0, as some have suggested in this
>thread, is that apps built on VFP 8.0 will run only on Win/2000 and Win/XP

And, specifically, XP Professional (i.e. not on XP Home, sigh).

anthony shipley

<math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:09:36 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0

Quote:
> Chad,
>   One problem with going straight to VFP 8.0, as some have suggested in
this
> thread, is that apps built on VFP 8.0 will run only on Win/2000 and Win/XP
> (also one other old OS, maybe Win/98, I don't remember for sure).  They
> *might* run on Win/NT but this is "unsupported" my MS.  If you have to
> support workstations with older OSs, then better stick to VFP 7.0.
>   Regards, Chaim Caron (New York City)

Hi Chaim

That is not correct. Applications made with VFP8 will run in any version of
Windows. You can however only use XP or W2K for development with VFP. NT
will work but NT will soon no longer be supported by MS (nor will W95).

-Anders

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 09:55:33 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
Anthony,
Where did you get this information? I've never seen any info that XP Home has ANY exclusion - either
for development OR running VFP 8.0 applications!

Rick

Quote:

> >  One problem with going straight to VFP 8.0, as some have suggested in this
> >thread, is that apps built on VFP 8.0 will run only on Win/2000 and Win/XP

> And, specifically, XP Professional (i.e. not on XP Home, sigh).

> anthony shipley

> <math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:42:12 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0
The VFP8 ReadMe doesn't specifically mention whether the "Windows XP" for
development is Home or Pro. It also does _not_ mention Win95 or NT4 for
deployment.

VFP8 ReadMe excerpt:
----------------------------------
1.1. System Requirements
Visual FoxPro has the following minimum system requirements:
                Processor:   Pentium class
                Memory:   64 MB RAM (128 MB or higher recommended)
                Available Hard Disk Space:
o                        Visual FoxPro Prerequisites - 20 MB
o                        Visual FoxPro Typical Install - 165 MB
o                        Visual FoxPro Maximum Install - 165 MB
Note   You must install Visual FoxPro on a local hard drive, not a mapped
drive.
                Video:      800 x 600 resolution, 256 colors (High Color
16-bit recommended)
                Operating System:   Developing applications with Visual
FoxPro 8.0 is only supported on Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 and
later, and Windows XP. You can create and distribute run-time applications
for Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 or later, and
Windows XP.
----------------------------------

The basic OS of WinXP Home and Pro is the same. Since the main differences
between WinXP Pro and WinXP Home have to do with networking and security
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.asp) it appears
to imply that either could be used for development.

Again, these are _supported_ OSes for development and deployment. People
have reported using it on other OSes successfully but you never know.... < g

http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net

Quote:
> Anthony,
> Where did you get this information? I've never seen any info that XP Home

has ANY exclusion - either
Quote:
> for development OR running VFP 8.0 applications!

> Rick

> > >  One problem with going straight to VFP 8.0, as some have suggested in
this
> > >thread, is that apps built on VFP 8.0 will run only on Win/2000 and
Win/XP

> > And, specifically, XP Professional (i.e. not on XP Home, sigh).

> > anthony shipley

> > <math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:11:31 GMT
 Converson VFP 5.0 -> VFP 7.0

Quote:

>Anthony,
>Where did you get this information? I've never seen any info that XP Home has ANY exclusion - either
>for development OR running VFP 8.0 applications!

Rick and Cindy,

I'm quite (very, actually) happy to have egg on my face if that's the case :-)

I don't recall where I got that from but it's almost certainly the MS site or
one of the VFP newsgroups or something somebody put in my milk, sigh!

anthony shipley

<math> 2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2</math>

Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:12:46 GMT

1. VFP 5.0 Pro Upgrade CD to VFP 7.0 Pro Version Upgrade CD

2. VFP 5.0 to VFP 7.0

3. VFP 3.0 -> VFP 5.0 (Printer Fonts)

4. VFP 6.0 -> SQL 7.0

5. VFP 5.0 vs 7.0

6. Linking VFP 5.0 database in SQL server 7.0

7. Problem with the VFP 5.0 and SQL 7.0

8. VFP 5.0 or VdBase 7.0 or Access97?

9. Mac FP 2.6 -> PC VFP 5.0 Questions

10. FPD2.6 -> VFP 5.0 Questions

11. VFP 5.0 -> WIN 3.11

12. VFP 5.0 object references -> memory leaks