Character Fields with encrypted Data
Author Message
 Character Fields with encrypted Data

KEYWORDS: VISUAL FOXPRO, ODBC, SQL 6.0

Greetings -

We are using a quick encryption routine which maps any of the characters
in a string to an encrypted string.  The resulting string can contain
characters of ASCII value from 1 to 255.  The records exist in a local
dbf table.  We then "upsize" the tables, and load all data to the SQL
6.0 server.  All records and table work correctly except those fields
which contain encrypted data.  So, we assumed the SQL Server was the
problem.  We created a table on the Server and sent it encrypted data.
The information stored is not the same as the information which was
sent.  Is there a limit to what the upsize tool will send to SQL server?
Is there some problem with the ODBC driver?  Is there some filter which
exists in the SQL server which changes by default what we enter into a
character field?

thanks for the help

pg

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Character Fields with encrypted Data

Quote:

>KEYWORDS: VISUAL FOXPRO, ODBC, SQL 6.0
>Greetings -
>We are using a quick encryption routine which maps any of the characters
>in a string to an encrypted string.  The resulting string can contain
>characters of ASCII value from 1 to 255.  The records exist in a local
>dbf table.  We then "upsize" the tables, and load all data to the SQL
>6.0 server.  All records and table work correctly except those fields
>which contain encrypted data.  So, we assumed the SQL Server was the
>problem.  We created a table on the Server and sent it encrypted data.
>The information stored is not the same as the information which was
>sent.  Is there a limit to what the upsize tool will send to SQL server?
>Is there some problem with the ODBC driver?  Is there some filter which
>exists in the SQL server which changes by default what we enter into a
>character field?
>thanks for the help
>pg

I have an idea that this may have something to do with codepages;
although I am not familiar with SQL Server, I have had a similar
problem with an app that I wrote in FP2.5D when I ported it to VFP. I
was able to get aroungd the problem by modifying the table in VFP and
setting the data type to Binary Character.

Hope this is of some help....

Regds,

Andre Joubert
RIBbit Sysems

Sun, 28 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to convert the data from the character field in the date field

2. Stripping unwanted characters out of data fields

3. Convert memo field in character field

4. convert a character field to a date field

5. BigInt fields in SQL - converted to Character fields in Remote View

6. Encrypt/Decrypt Data with VFP???

7. Encrypt/Decrypt data with VFP???

8. Encrypt / Decrypyt Data in VFP???

9. encrypting a field in a dbf file

10. Encrypt a memo field

11. encrypting fields

12. Fast check for numbers in character data