Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002 
Author Message
 Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002

M$ dropped direct support, so I have to use ODBC. Only problem is, it
hangs when reading data from the FoxPro tables. Access 97 works fine,
but Access 2000 and 2002 hang just trying to look at one of the
tables.

I've searched the M$ KB but come up empty handed so far. Any ideas?

Thanks
Tom



Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:49:57 GMT  
 Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002
Tom,

Were you using ODBC in Access97 or were you accessing the tables directly?

Do you know which type of FoxPro tables you are reading? (FoxPro2.6, VFP
"free" tables, or a VFP database - has a DBC file).

Also, make sure you have the latest ODBC driver, available from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/addons/odbc.asp.

--
Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net


Quote:
> M$ dropped direct support, so I have to use ODBC. Only problem is, it
> hangs when reading data from the FoxPro tables. Access 97 works fine,
> but Access 2000 and 2002 hang just trying to look at one of the
> tables.



Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:17:07 GMT  
 Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002
I linked to the tables directly in Access 97. That's the setup that
works. For Access 2000 and 2002, I have to set up DSNs for the free
table directories, and then link the tables in Access using ODBC
access. I then use these linked tables and a couple of internal tables
in a query which serves as the basis for the necessary reports.

There are no .dbc files. The only way I could get things to link up at
all was to use the "free tables" selection. The files are used by a
financial package, and I don't know what version of FoxPro they were
built on.

On my first attempt at getting this set up on Windows XP with Access
2002, the first driver I selected in the ODBC setup said that it was
superseded by the Visual FoxPro driver, so that's what I used. I think
I also tried another one - I think there were like three FoxPro
choices in ODBC setup.

Then I just tried opening one of the linked tables in Access 2002. As
I scroll down the table, Access just stops responding. I left it sit
for 20 minutes just to be sure it wasn't a severe performance hit due
to being forced to use ODBC.

Thanks for the pointer to the update. I'll check to see if they need
that one.

Tom

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:17:07 -0500, "CindyWinegarden"

Quote:

>Tom,

>Were you using ODBC in Access97 or were you accessing the tables directly?

>Do you know which type of FoxPro tables you are reading? (FoxPro2.6, VFP
>"free" tables, or a VFP database - has a DBC file).

>Also, make sure you have the latest ODBC driver, available from
>http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/addons/odbc.asp.



Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:19:56 GMT  
 Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002
If you linked directly in Access 97 it looks like you have FoxPro 2.x files.

If it hangs as you scroll down in Access, how large is the table? In the
ODBC setup there is an Options button which will show, among other things, a
checkbox to "Fetch data in background." You might experiment with this
setting. Note that the Deleted box, when checked, has the effect of the
FoxPro command SET DELETED ON which will filter out deleted records. In most
cases you will want this box checked.

--
Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

http://mdsn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro  http://foxcentral.net


Quote:
> I linked to the tables directly in Access 97.
< snip >
> Then I just tried opening one of the linked tables in Access 2002. As
> I scroll down the table, Access just stops responding. I left it sit
> for 20 minutes just to be sure it wasn't a severe performance hit due
> to being forced to use ODBC.



Fri, 24 Jun 2005 04:07:05 GMT  
 Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002
The one that I can't even open at all has only about 5,000 records.
The other two have 3,000 and 700.

I don't remember the settings of the parameters you mention . I'll
take a look next time I'm there.

Thanks very much for the pointers.

Tom

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003 15:07:05 -0500, "CindyWinegarden"

Quote:

>If you linked directly in Access 97 it looks like you have FoxPro 2.x files.

>If it hangs as you scroll down in Access, how large is the table? In the
>ODBC setup there is an Options button which will show, among other things, a
>checkbox to "Fetch data in background." You might experiment with this
>setting. Note that the Deleted box, when checked, has the effect of the
>FoxPro command SET DELETED ON which will filter out deleted records. In most
>cases you will want this box checked.



Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:15:11 GMT  
 Accessing FoxPro tables with Access 2002

Originally posted by Tom Bates

Quote:
> M$ dropped direct support, so I have to use ODBC. Only problem is, it
> hangs when reading data from the FoxPro tables. Access 97 works fine,
> but Access 2000 and 2002 hang just trying to look at one of the
> tables.

> I've searched the M$ KB but come up empty handed so far. Any ideas?

> Thanks
> Tom

Tom, I'm having the same problem. Did you get a solution?

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com



Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:17:49 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. foxpro and access....or foxpro vs access

2. How do I access FPD26 Tables with Access

3. Transfer data from table of MS Access 97 to table of MS FoxPro

4. How To Connect Visual FoxPro 7 Data Source to Word 2002 (or Office XP Applications)

5. Word 2002 Error Message: Unable to Open Data Source using Visual FoxPro Data Base File

6. Accessing Access mdb from foxpro?

7. FoxPro accessing MS-Access

8. Accessing FoxPro using Access 2000

9. FoxPro 6 & 7 / Access 2000 & 2002 Comparison

10. Linking to FoxPro table using Access 2000

11. DSNLess connection to Visual FoxPro table from Access 2000 using VB

12. Linking to FoxPro Table using Access 2000

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software