Problem when antivirus software installed
Author Message
 Problem when antivirus software installed

My application, amomng other things, at startup do this:
- create an instance of Word.Application using createobject
- copy a dot file in Wort startup folder

On some Win2000 systems, not all, with antivirus software installed
(TrendMicro or Symantec, but maybe others) my app crashes at startup.

I think the problem is the copy of the dot file in the Winnt\Documents and
settings\<usarname>\Application data\Microsoft\Word\startup folder.
I think the antivirus stops the copy and make my application crash.

Anyone experienced this problem?
How can I solve?

My "on error" event simply returns ignoring errors. I can't debug my
application on customer machine.

(VFP version: 5)

--
Andrea Mariottini

Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:33:33 GMT
 Problem when antivirus software installed
Hi Andrea:

First, I would disable the anti virus software on the machine were the
failure occurs to make sure that the AV is really causing the problem. If
the AV software is causing the problem and they are using Norton, you might
want to prevent Norton from scanning the VFP files (and possibly the .DOT
files as well) using the instructions in this article:

321550 HOWTO: Optimize Visual FoxPro Applications While Using Norton
AntiVirus
  http://kb/article.asp?id=Q321550

I have heard of AV software causing problems when using OLE automation with
Enable Script Blocking activated. You can disable this in Norton by
choosing the Options - Norton AntiVirus menu selection, selecting the
Script Blocking, and unchecking the Enable Script Blocking check box.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
   - VFP5 Mainstream Support retires June 30th, 2003
   - VFP6 Mainstream Support retires Sept. 30th, 2003

Quote:
>My application, amomng other things, at startup do this:
>- create an instance of Word.Application using createobject
>- copy a dot file in Wort startup folder
>On some Win2000 systems, not all, with antivirus software installed
>(TrendMicro or Symantec, but maybe others) my app crashes at startup.
>I think the problem is the copy of the dot file in the Winnt\Documents and
>settings\<usarname>\Application data\Microsoft\Word\startup folder.
>I think the antivirus stops the copy and make my application crash.
>Anyone experienced this problem?
>How can I solve?
>My "on error" event simply returns ignoring errors. I can't debug my
>application on customer machine.
>(VFP version: 5)
>--
>Andrea Mariottini

Wed, 11 Jan 2006 01:34:20 GMT

1. Any good freeware VFP Application Install software?

2. VFP and Norton AntiVirus

3. Word Automation and Norton's Antivirus 2002

4. FoxPro Database on LAN slowed by Norton AntiVirus AutoProtect

5. Norton AntiVirus Slows VFP / Why?

6. Antivirus and VFP

7. How to install DLL's when installing a VFP app

8. Install of VFP7.0 After Install of .Net Beta 1

9. Software developer needed for commerical software development

10. ISO 9001 Software Procedures for Small/Medium sized Software Companies

11. Software Piracy Prevention Software [ad]

12. Foxpro 7 Service Pack 1 install problem?