VFP6 export to excel problem
Author Message
 VFP6 export to excel problem

Hi
I'm running VFP6  (SP5).
When I export to excel with the 'export to filename type xls' command I only
get 16383 records exported when my table has more records than this.
The equivelent 'copy to filename type xls' has the same problem.
The equivelent 'copy to filename type csv' works with no problems.
My questions are:
    Am I doing something wrong ?
    Is this a limitation to VFP6 ?
    Is this a bug ?
    Does VFP7 or 8 fix this problem ?
Thanks for your help
kind regards
Joe

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 09:22:40 GMT
 VFP6 export to excel problem
Joe,
Quoting the VFP help file "XL5 ... Creates a Microsoft Excel version 5.0
worksheet file. ...". Excel version 5.0 had a limit of 16,384 rows. I
believe version 7.0 (Excel 95) was the first to allow 64k rows, and no
version of VFP (including 7.0 SP1) supports this file type. So it's really
an Excel limit - not FoxPro.

You can COPY TO ... TYPE FOX2X or TYPE DELIMITED - all 32-bit versions of
Excel can import these. You could also use Automation of Excel to directly
load a spreadsheet if you know each workstation has a copy of Excel
installed.

Note: VFP 8.0 has raised the limit to 65K rows - consider an upgrade if the suggestions above don't
work for you.

Rick

Quote:

> Hi
> I'm running VFP6  (SP5).
> When I export to excel with the 'export to filename type xls' command I only
> get 16383 records exported when my table has more records than this.
> The equivelent 'copy to filename type xls' has the same problem.
> The equivelent 'copy to filename type csv' works with no problems.
> My questions are:
>     Am I doing something wrong ?
>     Is this a limitation to VFP6 ?
>     Is this a bug ?
>     Does VFP7 or 8 fix this problem ?
> Thanks for your help
> kind regards
> Joe

Sun, 04 Sep 2005 22:50:48 GMT
 VFP6 export to excel problem
Thanks Rick
Just to let you know what I have decided to do:
I'm going to autodetect if users have excel on their machines.
If they do, I'll use COM automation to create a spreadsheet of all data
If they don't and they have more data records than can be exported, I'll
show a message telling them what is going on and create a number of xls
files to cover all the data with the export command.
Also I'll upgrade to VFP8 to increase the number that can be exported before
this situation occurs.  (I was planning to update soon anyway)
Again - Thankyou for your help
kind regards
Joe

Quote:
> Joe,
> Quoting the VFP help file "XL5 ... Creates a Microsoft Excel version 5.0
> worksheet file. ...". Excel version 5.0 had a limit of 16,384 rows. I
> believe version 7.0 (Excel 95) was the first to allow 64k rows, and no
> version of VFP (including 7.0 SP1) supports this file type. So it's really
> an Excel limit - not FoxPro.

> You can COPY TO ... TYPE FOX2X or TYPE DELIMITED - all 32-bit versions of
> Excel can import these. You could also use Automation of Excel to directly
> load a spreadsheet if you know each workstation has a copy of Excel
> installed.

> Note: VFP 8.0 has raised the limit to 65K rows - consider an upgrade if

the suggestions above don't
Quote:
> work for you.

> Rick

Quote:
> > Hi
> > I'm running VFP6  (SP5).
> > When I export to excel with the 'export to filename type xls' command I
only
> > get 16383 records exported when my table has more records than this.
> > The equivelent 'copy to filename type xls' has the same problem.
> > The equivelent 'copy to filename type csv' works with no problems.
> > My questions are:
> >     Am I doing something wrong ?
> >     Is this a limitation to VFP6 ?
> >     Is this a bug ?
> >     Does VFP7 or 8 fix this problem ?
> > Thanks for your help
> > kind regards
> > Joe

Mon, 05 Sep 2005 05:43:42 GMT
 VFP6 export to excel problem
Hi Joe,

Since you are going to use COM automation check out the _VFP.DataToClip()
function. If you have a lot of data you may need to divide your source table
into parts and Clip/Paste more than once.

> I'm going to autodetect if users have excel on their machines.
> If they do, I'll use COM automation to create a spreadsheet of all data

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 00:33:04 GMT

1. How to export from VFP6 to Excel

2. Exporting forms from VFP6 to Excel

3. Problem when reading Excel files through ODBC in VFP6.0

4. Export to Excel

5. exporting file into Excel

6. Export to Excel

7. How to export report output to Excel ?

8. export file to EXCEL

9. Exporting DBF with Memo Fields to MS Excel

10. How Can I Export reports to Excel

11. Export Visual Foxpro Report to Excel

12. How to make icons bottons for export VFP report to Excel and Word