read level question
Author Message
 read level question

O.K. this is a stupid question, but it's really{*filter*} me up and any help
would be greatly appreciated.

In Foxpro 2.6 for windows (professional Edition)
All I wanna do is call another screen (made with genscrn) from my master
screen (likewise) I made a button on the first screen with "do
2ndscreen.spr" in the valid and had a button on the second screen
with"Terminate on read" checked. This works great the first two times but
after that, you guessed it, it bombs because the readlevel is maxed out at
5 or above. No matter where I put "Clear Read" or "Clear Read All" in the
valids of these two buttons, it still bombs out. This seems like such a
simple thing (the second just displays some data that won't fit on the
first one) that I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out.
Do I really have to hand-code the screens and use some sort of Foundation
Read application (which Foxpro help does not clearly explain) or is there
something simple I could put in one of those valids and get on with my
life?

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 read level question

Quote:

>O.K. this is a stupid question, but it's really{*filter*} me up and any help
>would be greatly appreciated.

>In Foxpro 2.6 for windows (professional Edition)
>All I wanna do is call another screen (made with genscrn) from my master
>screen (likewise) I made a button on the first screen with "do
>2ndscreen.spr" in the valid and had a button on the second screen
>with"Terminate on read" checked. This works great the first two times but
>after that, you guessed it, it bombs because the readlevel is maxed out at
>5 or above. No matter where I put "Clear Read" or "Clear Read All" in the
>valids of these two buttons, it still bombs out. This seems like such a
>simple thing (the second just displays some data that won't fit on the
>first one) that I feel like an idiot for not being able to figure it out.
>Do I really have to hand-code the screens and use some sort of Foundation
>Read application (which Foxpro help does not clearly explain) or is there
>something simple I could put in one of those valids and get on with my
>life?

A CLEAR READ RETURN .T. in the valid clause of your return button on the
second screen should fix your problem.

******************************
Sincerely,
David Seuferer

"Where there's a whip..<crack><crack>.. there's a way!" by Rankin/Bass

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 read level question
Trister,
It sounds as if the second screen which has a read inbuilt is not
clearing when you terminate the screen.  Put a terminate read on the
buttons that close the second screen, and that shoudld clear that read
level. Also i have only used foundation reads in three of my applications
the rest, i have been careful with the readlevels.  Best of luck.

Cheers Steve ...

Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Question about READs and READ level clauses

2. Read Levels in FoxPro

3. read levels

4. READ level too high.

5. Read level problem in FPW2.6 (repost)

6. Read level problem FPW2.6 ?

7. Foxpro 2.5 for win : 5 level read problem

8. Too many Read Levels

9. TOP LEVEL FORM vs Read Events ??

10. Low Level Reads into variables...

11. READ level VALID in VFP?