DBF vs Free Tables
Author Message
 DBF vs Free Tables

I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm slow to move away from my
established FPD and FPW ways of doing things.  One of the VFP capabilities
I've never taken advantage of is the DBF.  I still do everything with free
tables.

The reason I've never used DBF is because of the way I distribute my
applications.  I don't distribute any databases, so a new install and an
upgrade run the same install process.  If the tables don't exist, the
program creates them using CREATE DBF and INDEX commands.  I remember that
when I first moved from FPW to VFP, I had trouble making that work.

Now, I wonder how much I'm missing out on by not using a database.  Is it
worth the pain of "changing my ways?"

David B. Cass
Transportation Systems Analyst
U.S.Navy Fleet and Industrial Supply Center
Norfolk, {*filter*}ia

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 02:08:27 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables

I pretty much went to using the DBC right away and liked it alot.  Still do.
It gives you the referential integrity that you don't get with free tables.
It gives you other things as well, but the RI is most valuable to me.  Well,
let's see, maybe I should take that back.  I don't believe you can buffer
free tables and buffering is quite valuable, so that's another big one for
me.  Please note that if you do use the DBC, then a very valuable tool that
is very much worth the price is the Stonefield Database Toolkit
(www.stonefield.com).  I wouldn't want to do without it - the headaches can
be too severe.  DBCs are one of those "try it, you'll like it" things, but
there is a bit of a learning period.  Once you get the hang of it, you won't
want to go back.

Russell Campbell

Quote:
> I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm slow to move away from my
> established FPD and FPW ways of doing things.  One of the VFP capabilities
> I've never taken advantage of is the DBF.  I still do everything with free
> tables.

> The reason I've never used DBF is because of the way I distribute my
> applications.  I don't distribute any databases, so a new install and an
> upgrade run the same install process.  If the tables don't exist, the
> program creates them using CREATE DBF and INDEX commands.  I remember that
> when I first moved from FPW to VFP, I had trouble making that work.

> Now, I wonder how much I'm missing out on by not using a database.  Is it
> worth the pain of "changing my ways?"

> David B. Cass
> Transportation Systems Analyst
> U.S.Navy Fleet and Industrial Supply Center
> Norfolk, {*filter*}ia

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 02:59:42 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables
Take a look in your tools at GENDBC.prg. It will create a program that you
can execute on an install, that will recreate your database and tables
automatically.

Quote:
> I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm slow to move away from my
> established FPD and FPW ways of doing things.  One of the VFP capabilities
> I've never taken advantage of is the DBF.  I still do everything with free
> tables.

> The reason I've never used DBF is because of the way I distribute my
> applications.  I don't distribute any databases, so a new install and an
> upgrade run the same install process.  If the tables don't exist, the
> program creates them using CREATE DBF and INDEX commands.  I remember that
> when I first moved from FPW to VFP, I had trouble making that work.

> Now, I wonder how much I'm missing out on by not using a database.  Is it
> worth the pain of "changing my ways?"

> David B. Cass
> Transportation Systems Analyst
> U.S.Navy Fleet and Industrial Supply Center
> Norfolk, {*filter*}ia

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 03:17:48 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables
Tables can  be buffered ...

kind regards
christophe
Belgium

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:20:54 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables
Dave,

Here is my .02

I have used the StoneField Database Toolkit (SDT) (www.stonefield.com) for a
few years now, and can't speak about it highly enough.  It creates the
tables if they don't exist, updates their structure and/or indexes if
necessary and provides a basic repair tool in case a dbf table on the users
machine corrupts.  It has made my life MUCH, MUCH easier in distributing
applications to my customers all over the US.  If you distribute updates on
a regular basis on a dynamically changing/maturing product, SDT is worth the
$.

Alec

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 05:29:58 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables
Free tables cannot participate in transactions though.

--
William Fields
MCSD - Microsoft Visual FoxPro

Beer is proof that God loves us
and wants us to be happy.

                            - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
> Tables can  be buffered ...

> kind regards
> christophe
> Belgium

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 08:30:51 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables

Quote:
> Now, I wonder how much I'm missing out on by not using a database.  Is it
> worth the pain of "changing my ways?"

I use DBC's but I don't bother with all the stored procedures and stuff like
triggers and referential integrity. I'm sort of halfway between the camps I
suppose. What I like about the full DBC model is that you can use the
buffering and transactional features.

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:28:29 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables
Not to {*filter*}in, but I wish GENDBC could maintain, not just create, database
files.  Then your application could call it on startup to make sure
everything was ok.  I guess that's why stonefield is popular...Dennis

Quote:
> Take a look in your tools at GENDBC.prg. It will create a program that you
> can execute on an install, that will recreate your database and tables
> automatically.

> > I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm slow to move away from my
> > established FPD and FPW ways of doing things.  One of the VFP
capabilities
> > I've never taken advantage of is the DBF.  I still do everything with
free
> > tables.

> > The reason I've never used DBF is because of the way I distribute my
> > applications.  I don't distribute any databases, so a new install and an
> > upgrade run the same install process.  If the tables don't exist, the
> > program creates them using CREATE DBF and INDEX commands.  I remember
that
> > when I first moved from FPW to VFP, I had trouble making that work.

> > Now, I wonder how much I'm missing out on by not using a database.  Is
it
> > worth the pain of "changing my ways?"

> > David B. Cass
> > Transportation Systems Analyst
> > U.S.Navy Fleet and Industrial Supply Center
> > Norfolk, {*filter*}ia

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 04:10:37 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables
so what's stopping you from adding this functionality yourself ?

Quote:
> Not to {*filter*}in, but I wish GENDBC could maintain, not just create,
database
> files.  Then your application could call it on startup to make sure
> everything was ok.  I guess that's why stonefield is popular...Dennis

> > Take a look in your tools at GENDBC.prg. It will create a program that
you
> > can execute on an install, that will recreate your database and tables
> > automatically.

> > > I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm slow to move away from my
> > > established FPD and FPW ways of doing things.  One of the VFP
> capabilities
> > > I've never taken advantage of is the DBF.  I still do everything with
> free
> > > tables.

> > > The reason I've never used DBF is because of the way I distribute my
> > > applications.  I don't distribute any databases, so a new install and
an
> > > upgrade run the same install process.  If the tables don't exist, the
> > > program creates them using CREATE DBF and INDEX commands.  I remember
> that
> > > when I first moved from FPW to VFP, I had trouble making that work.

> > > Now, I wonder how much I'm missing out on by not using a database.  Is
> it
> > > worth the pain of "changing my ways?"

> > > David B. Cass
> > > Transportation Systems Analyst
> > > U.S.Navy Fleet and Industrial Supply Center
> > > Norfolk, {*filter*}ia

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 04:23:21 GMT
 DBF vs Free Tables
I was just going to say what gerry just said. You could also expand GENDBC
to create a database backup scheme.

Quote:
> Not to {*filter*}in, but I wish GENDBC could maintain, not just create,
database
> files.  Then your application could call it on startup to make sure
> everything was ok.  I guess that's why stonefield is popular...Dennis

> > Take a look in your tools at GENDBC.prg. It will create a program that
you
> > can execute on an install, that will recreate your database and tables
> > automatically.

> > > I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm slow to move away from my
> > > established FPD and FPW ways of doing things.  One of the VFP
> capabilities
> > > I've never taken advantage of is the DBF.  I still do everything with
> free
> > > tables.

> > > The reason I've never used DBF is because of the way I distribute my
> > > applications.  I don't distribute any databases, so a new install and
an
> > > upgrade run the same install process.  If the tables don't exist, the
> > > program creates them using CREATE DBF and INDEX commands.  I remember
> that
> > > when I first moved from FPW to VFP, I had trouble making that work.

> > > Now, I wonder how much I'm missing out on by not using a database.  Is
> it
> > > worth the pain of "changing my ways?"

> > > David B. Cass
> > > Transportation Systems Analyst
> > > U.S.Navy Fleet and Industrial Supply Center
> > > Norfolk, {*filter*}ia

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 19:31:10 GMT

1. Database table vs Free table ?

2. Free Tables vs DBC

3. DBC vs. Free Tables in ODBC

4. Databases vs. Free Tables

5. .dbc vs. free tables

6. Free tables vs dbc

7. A recent convert (was: Databases vs. Free tables)

8. Databases vs.Free Tables

9. dbc VS Free tables

10. dbc vs free table

11. Skunks vs Possums - Free