Please recommend BOOK(s) for VFP guy to learn SQL Server 7.0 quick
Author Message
 Please recommend BOOK(s) for VFP guy to learn SQL Server 7.0 quick

My boss told me I better get up to speed quick in SQL Server 7.0,
because that's where we are migrating all our VFP data in pretty short
order. I know nothing about SQL Server, or nearly so. I wonder if I can
get some recommendations on how I might best proceed. There's a very
good bookstore within a 5 minute walk of where I work, and I think my
company will buy the book(s), but not sure. Anyway, I need some ideas. I
could just browse their very extensive computer book section, but I know
full well, I will see at least 1/2 a dozen books that all look like good
candidates. Some choice words will be very helpful to me. Thanks a load
for your help.

Dan

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend BOOK(s) for VFP guy to learn SQL Server 7.0 quick

Dan,

I don't know about SQL Server, but if it's the SQL language part that you need help on, I got up to speed very quickly reading
"Understanding SQL" by Martin Gruber, published by Sybex. It builds progressively with clear examples.

--
Brett_Slattery

(Remove the B - It's used to evade Spam)

: My boss told me I better get up to speed quick in SQL Server 7.0,
: because that's where we are migrating all our VFP data in pretty short
: order.

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend BOOK(s) for VFP guy to learn SQL Server 7.0 quick
MS Press publishes The Hitchhiker's Guide to Visual Basic and SQL-Server 7.0

--

Nancy

Please post all replies to the newsgroup
so that everbody can benefit from the
discussion.

Quote:
> My boss told me I better get up to speed quick in SQL Server 7.0,
> because that's where we are migrating all our VFP data in pretty short
> order. I know nothing about SQL Server, or nearly so. I wonder if I can
> get some recommendations on how I might best proceed. There's a very
> good bookstore within a 5 minute walk of where I work, and I think my
> company will buy the book(s), but not sure. Anyway, I need some ideas. I
> could just browse their very extensive computer book section, but I know
> full well, I will see at least 1/2 a dozen books that all look like good
> candidates. Some choice words will be very helpful to me. Thanks a load
> for your help.

> Dan

Tue, 21 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Please recommend BOOK(s) for VFP guy to learn SQL Server 7.0 quick

:
:Dan,
:
:I don't know about SQL Server, but if it's the SQL language part that you need help on, I got up to speed very quickly reading
:"Understanding SQL" by Martin Gruber, published by Sybex. It builds progressively with clear examples.

My SQL isn't the greatest, but it's not too bad either. I have Bowman,
etc.'s Practical SQL Handbook, which is pretty good to at getting you
into SQL. The problem with SQL, at least in the context of a book to
help you learn it independent of any specific *implementation* is that
is has so many minor variations. It's like dialects of something like
Chinese, I should think.

I went to Amazon.com today and found a number of books recommended and
have a short list of three now I will see if my employer will buy for
me:

This one looks like an absolute winner (Amazon reviews):
Microsoft Sql Server 7.0 Administrator's Pocket Consultant
                     by William Robert Stanek

                             Our Price: $23.99
                             You Save: $6.00 (20%)
                             Availability: Usually ships within 24
hours.
                             Paperback - (October 1999) 364 pages

This too gets high recommendations, and is obviously also aimed at the
programmer/developer:
Professional SQL Server 7.0 Programming
                      by Rob Vieira, Robert Vieira

                                 Our Price: $39.99
                                 You Save: $10.00 (20%)
                                 Availability: Usually ships within 24
hours.
                                 Mass Market Paperback - (1999) 1138
pages

Sams Teach Yourself Microsoft Sql Server 7.0 in 21 Days (Teach Yourself
in
21
                   Days Series)
                   by Richard Waymire, Rick Sawtell
                                 List Price: $39.99
                                 Our Price: $31.99
                                 You Save: $8.00 (20%)

Dan

:--
:Brett_Slattery

:(Remove the B - It's used to evade Spam)
:

Wed, 22 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. PLEASE HELP - CALL STORE PROCEDURE IN SQL SERVER USING VFP 7.0

2. Please recommend a good book of VFP

3. Foxpro 2.5 book, please recommend

4. Linking VFP 5.0 database in SQL server 7.0

5. VFP 6.0, SQL Server 7.0, & Identity Fields

6. Upsize Current VFP 7.0 to SQL Server Forms question

7. PLS RECOMMEND BOOKS ON VFP 3.0

8. VFP SQL Server books

9. recommend VFP 5.0 Book

10. Book for learning of VFP

11. Import export data to and from Quick Books using VFP

12. Good book for learning VFP