Messaging and Workflow apps with VFP (aka Extracting data from Exchange)
Author Message
 Messaging and Workflow apps with VFP (aka Extracting data from Exchange)

As anyone done any messaging and/or workflow apps with VFP?

I have a client that is using MS Outlook and Exchange for their mail
system.  They would like me to set up some way to process emails.  For
example, if a manager gets an email that needs followup, he or she
could assign it to another person or department, put an expected due
date, and send it to that person or department.  The manager could
then monitor the progress of that message even if it is assigned to
someone else.

Microsoft claims you can do groupware and work flow apps with Outlook.
Every who claims to be an expert in Outlook claims you can do these
types of apps in Outlook.  But no one can show me an app done in
Outlook.

The apps I have seen all involve heavy duty programming in VB or some
other app to extract email messages from Exchange.  And these sytems
are expensive and very inflexible.

If it can done in VFP, ie extract info, send emai, report on the
messages, I figure VFP would be more flexible in design and quicker to
get up and running.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks,

Al

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:44:48 GMT
 Messaging and Workflow apps with VFP (aka Extracting data from Exchange)
I know where you are at.
Outlook can do this by itself,  without using VFP actually getting VFP to
work with outlook / exchange is / or can be quite a headache.

say a manager gets an email that he wants to turn into a 'task'   teach him
to drag and drop that email into his task folder,  then if he wants to
assign that task to someone else, there is a assign task button, in outlook,
(the task remains in his task list,) and updates on the task are sent back
to him,

I use this functionality all the time, when assigning programming tasks,
the users have to be taught to accept the tasks, which then become one on
their tasks, and they are required to update the tasks.

The Outlook / exchange database, which holds theses 'special folders'  known
as pst files, are from what I understand sort of a jet database - similar to
access,   There is a web site on Microsoft which tells you how to extract
the pst files to access database's  - but then the matter of syncing them
becomes somewhat of a headache.

Outlook handles most of this logic quite well, and the best one can expect
with putting VFP in the mix, is using vfp automation to read and update
items in a folder

One of the slickest idea's I have read about was some aftermarket company
who replaces exchange with sql server, that way, users can get to their data
without using outlook if they like, or they can get to the special folders
using the internet without a vpn.    called SQL View.
http://www.oaklodge.com/technology/sqlview/requirments.aspx

But if you already have exchange,  its prob not the way to go.

Another nice addin package for outlook, reads emails and does what you want
when they come in,  Sort of a rules on steroids.  Can extract data, (like
data from web forms etc) and save the data in ASCII delim files.  (could be
something you are looking for. )
Check out  ExLife,    Their newest product, called Cuterules is something I
am looking into (keeping things like this server side is always nice)

http://www.ornic.com/exchange/index.shtml

And lastly
This company seems to have the ability to write all the custom vb apps...
with outlook that you could want.
http://www.conversiondynamics.com/services.htm  Rather than out of the box
solutions...

Bob Lee
Maybe something here will help.

Quote:
> As anyone done any messaging and/or workflow apps with VFP?

> I have a client that is using MS Outlook and Exchange for their mail
> system.  They would like me to set up some way to process emails.  For
> example, if a manager gets an email that needs followup, he or she
> could assign it to another person or department, put an expected due
> date, and send it to that person or department.  The manager could
> then monitor the progress of that message even if it is assigned to
> someone else.

> Microsoft claims you can do groupware and work flow apps with Outlook.
> Every who claims to be an expert in Outlook claims you can do these
> types of apps in Outlook.  But no one can show me an app done in
> Outlook.

> The apps I have seen all involve heavy duty programming in VB or some
> other app to extract email messages from Exchange.  And these sytems
> are expensive and very inflexible.

> If it can done in VFP, ie extract info, send emai, report on the
> messages, I figure VFP would be more flexible in design and quicker to
> get up and running.

> Has anyone done anything like this?

> Thanks,

> Al

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 01:12:03 GMT
 Messaging and Workflow apps with VFP (aka Extracting data from Exchange)

Quote:
> As anyone done any messaging and/or workflow apps with VFP?

See at : http://www.west-wind.com/

West Wind IP Stuff Class
------------------------
Author: Rick Strahl, West Wind Technologies

This class provides easy interfaces for SMTP mail, HTTP GET and POST, FTP,
the RAS Dialer and Domain Lookups.

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:29:22 GMT

1. Error message in microsoft messaging (exchange)

2. Data exchange between VFP Forms over a Local Network

3. ODBC - extracting data from Access .MDB file

4. extracting data from foxpro2.0

5. Extracting data to excel

6. extracting data from a foxapp?

7. Extract data from delimited text file

8. Extract data from MS Excel spreadsheet to Foxpro 2.6 dbf format

9. How to extract the difference data records from two similar tables

10. Extract binary data from a file

11. Extracting data from remote Sql View

12. Word 2002 Error Message: Unable to Open Data Source using Visual FoxPro Data Base File