Data Replication
Author Message
 Data Replication

I am looking for a few pointers about data replication and synchronisation.
Can you help?
At the moment I am just trying to decide what technologies to evaluate.

The system I am specifying will have several modules, some of which will be
run on separate computers which will not always be linked to the network
(e.g. laptops).
The system is an accounting type product in that each module enters
information about the purchase or usage of stock items. What I need to
achieve is a centralised stock control where the purchases and usages of all
stock items is replicated to all computers.

I am keen not to re-invent wheels if some existing technologies can be used.
So far I have come up with four possiblities:

1) Write it all from the ground up in VFP, perhaps using offline views ...
this is a lot of work.

2) Use SQL server technology (I have never used it myself) ... the snag is
that each end user site would need a licenced copy of SQL Server and that is
not an option.

3) Use the new MSDE with its free runtime licencing. I really thought this
was my answer but I read that MSDE requires SQL Server licences to do
replication?

4) Use the Replication technology built into the Jet Engine as used in
Access. Perhaps by mirroring my fox dbf tables in mdb's and using the mdb's
for replication and then copying it back into dbf tables.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

David

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Data Replication
SQL Server is definately the way to go. Replication is built in and easy to
use.

--

Craig Berntson
Microsoft FoxPro MVP

Quote:
> I am looking for a few pointers about data replication and
synchronisation.
> Can you help?
> At the moment I am just trying to decide what technologies to evaluate.

> The system I am specifying will have several modules, some of which will
be
> run on separate computers which will not always be linked to the network
> (e.g. laptops).
> The system is an accounting type product in that each module enters
> information about the purchase or usage of stock items. What I need to
> achieve is a centralised stock control where the purchases and usages of
all
> stock items is replicated to all computers.

> I am keen not to re-invent wheels if some existing technologies can be
used.
> So far I have come up with four possiblities:

> 1) Write it all from the ground up in VFP, perhaps using offline views ...
> this is a lot of work.

> 2) Use SQL server technology (I have never used it myself) ... the snag is
> that each end user site would need a licenced copy of SQL Server and that
is
> not an option.

> 3) Use the new MSDE with its free runtime licencing. I really thought this
> was my answer but I read that MSDE requires SQL Server licences to do
> replication?

> 4) Use the Replication technology built into the Jet Engine as used in
> Access. Perhaps by mirroring my fox dbf tables in mdb's and using the
mdb's
> for replication and then copying it back into dbf tables.

> Many thanks in advance for your advice.

> David

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Data Replication

2. Data Replication

3. Automated Replication for FoxPro?

4. Replication Time Delay Between Publisher & Distributer

5. VFP 6.0/SQL 7.0 Replication & Reporting Application

6. Replication with Foxpro

7. replication

8. Replication

9. Foxpro replication across TCP/IP?

10. SQL to Foxpro ODBC Replication?

11. Replication and synchronizaton of tables over the web.

12. Replication