preview zoom performance difference in VFP 3.0B and VFP 6.0
Author Message
 preview zoom performance difference in VFP 3.0B and VFP 6.0

I have one VFP program which was compiled in VFP 3.0B , the zoom in and out
of the print report preview works instantly. However, I recompile the
program in VFP 6.0 , the newly compiled program works differently in zoom
function of report preview.  The zoom in and out pause for a while before it
can change the view, that is the screen will blank off for a while when I
click on the preview. The VFP3.0B compiled program will give me instant
response in zooming.

This situation will improve in a faster cpu machine, but it shows quite
significant slow response in older machine.

I just wondering VFP3.0B and 6.0 are using "different method" in report
preview zooming.

Can anybody lit me to this question? Thanks.

Matthew

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:21:53 GMT
 preview zoom performance difference in VFP 3.0B and VFP 6.0
Hi Matthew:

I created a report in VFP 6.0 and zoomed the contents.  I did not see much
of a refresh delay.  I complied that report into an executable and zoomed
the report in an out.  I do see a more noticeable delay in refreshing the
report.

To fix this, I tried deleting the contents of the report's Expr, Tag, and
Tag2 fields.  I also added a SYS(3050) function to the code.  Neither of
these ideas helped.

I do not know all the C code used to produce a report preview.  However, I
know as we added features to the product, we have increased the 'overhead'
of the code base- VFP 6.0 has a lot more code than VFP 3.0.

Maybe someone else has an idea, but I don't know of a way to improve this
performance.  You might want to try a different or updated printer driver
to see if this helps.  Since a report preview is WYSIWYG (what you see is
what you get), the printer driver might have an impact on performance.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>I have one VFP program which was compiled in VFP 3.0B , the zoom in and out
>of the print report preview works instantly. However, I recompile the
>program in VFP 6.0 , the newly compiled program works differently in zoom
>function of report preview.  The zoom in and out pause for a while before
it
>can change the view, that is the screen will blank off for a while when I
>click on the preview. The VFP3.0B compiled program will give me instant
>response in zooming.
>This situation will improve in a faster cpu machine, but it shows quite
>significant slow response in older machine.
>I just wondering VFP3.0B and 6.0 are using "different method" in report
>preview zooming.
>Can anybody lit me to this question? Thanks.
>Matthew

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:11:44 GMT
 preview zoom performance difference in VFP 3.0B and VFP 6.0
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your help and I appreciate you have done a lot of testing.
As you have mentioned the printer driver, I opin that it is not the main
cause.  It is because the two different version compiled exe are running in
the same machine, and they are supposed using the same printer driver.
I have searched MSDN and cannot find any related information.
The other point you have mentioned is the newer version, VFP 6 , have much
more code in it.  This is more properly the cause.  However, the end user
will not easily accept this "downgrade in performance" as a result of
upgrade the run time.

I will try to study it again.  Any suggestion will be welcome. Thanks again.

Matthew

Quote:
> Hi Matthew:

> I created a report in VFP 6.0 and zoomed the contents.  I did not see much
> of a refresh delay.  I complied that report into an executable and zoomed
> the report in an out.  I do see a more noticeable delay in refreshing the
> report.

> To fix this, I tried deleting the contents of the report's Expr, Tag, and
> Tag2 fields.  I also added a SYS(3050) function to the code.  Neither of
> these ideas helped.

> I do not know all the C code used to produce a report preview.  However, I
> know as we added features to the product, we have increased the 'overhead'
> of the code base- VFP 6.0 has a lot more code than VFP 3.0.

> Maybe someone else has an idea, but I don't know of a way to improve this
> performance.  You might want to try a different or updated printer driver
> to see if this helps.  Since a report preview is WYSIWYG (what you see is
> what you get), the printer driver might have an impact on performance.

> I hope this helps.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

> >I have one VFP program which was compiled in VFP 3.0B , the zoom in and
out
> >of the print report preview works instantly. However, I recompile the
> >program in VFP 6.0 , the newly compiled program works differently in zoom
> >function of report preview.  The zoom in and out pause for a while before
> it
> >can change the view, that is the screen will blank off for a while when I
> >click on the preview. The VFP3.0B compiled program will give me instant
> >response in zooming.

> >This situation will improve in a faster cpu machine, but it shows quite
> >significant slow response in older machine.

> >I just wondering VFP3.0B and 6.0 are using "different method" in report
> >preview zooming.

> >Can anybody lit me to this question? Thanks.

> >Matthew

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:08:32 GMT
 preview zoom performance difference in VFP 3.0B and VFP 6.0
Hi Matthew:

I agree that this is probably not a printer driver issue, but I was
throwing that out for consideration.

Since this is a display issue, do you see a performance improvement if you
boot with a VGA video driver (or in Safe Mode)? Do you modify the report in
VFP 6.0 before running it?  If so, try simply running the report (REPORT
FORM) with out modifying the report (MODI REPORT) in the VFP 6.0
development environment.

Have you tried the report preview under VFP 7.0 or 8.0?  Check the run-time
libraries (VFP6r.dll and VFP6renu.dll) you are using with the custom
executable.  Are they the same version as your development environment?

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

<Hi Lee,

<Thanks for your help and I appreciate you have done a lot of testing.
<As you have mentioned the printer driver, I opin that it is not the main
<cause.  It is because the two different version compiled exe are running in
<the same machine, and they are supposed using the same printer driver.
<I have searched MSDN and cannot find any related information.
<The other point you have mentioned is the newer version, VFP 6 , have much
<more code in it.  This is more properly the cause.  However, the end user
<will not easily accept this "downgrade in performance" as a result of
<upgrade the run time.

<I will try to study it again.  Any suggestion will be welcome. Thanks
again.

<Matthew

Quote:
> Hi Matthew:

> I created a report in VFP 6.0 and zoomed the contents.  I did not see much
> of a refresh delay.  I complied that report into an executable and zoomed
> the report in an out.  I do see a more noticeable delay in refreshing the
> report.

> To fix this, I tried deleting the contents of the report's Expr, Tag, and
> Tag2 fields.  I also added a SYS(3050) function to the code.  Neither of
> these ideas helped.

> I do not know all the C code used to produce a report preview.  However, I
> know as we added features to the product, we have increased the 'overhead'
> of the code base- VFP 6.0 has a lot more code than VFP 3.0.

> Maybe someone else has an idea, but I don't know of a way to improve this
> performance.  You might want to try a different or updated printer driver
> to see if this helps.  Since a report preview is WYSIWYG (what you see is
> what you get), the printer driver might have an impact on performance.

> I hope this helps.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

> >I have one VFP program which was compiled in VFP 3.0B , the zoom in and
out
> >of the print report preview works instantly. However, I recompile the
> >program in VFP 6.0 , the newly compiled program works differently in zoom
> >function of report preview.  The zoom in and out pause for a while before
> it
> >can change the view, that is the screen will blank off for a while when I
> >click on the preview. The VFP3.0B compiled program will give me instant
> >response in zooming.

> >This situation will improve in a faster cpu machine, but it shows quite
> >significant slow response in older machine.

> >I just wondering VFP3.0B and 6.0 are using "different method" in report
> >preview zooming.

> >Can anybody lit me to this question? Thanks.

> >Matthew

Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:59:17 GMT
 preview zoom performance difference in VFP 3.0B and VFP 6.0
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your suggestion.  I test it in VGA 640X480 , there is no
performance improvement.
I have not tested it under VFP 7 AND 8 , I have to convert the data
structure to comply with the VFP 7  and 8. Am I right ?  I am not sure about
it.

I did find something in zooming the report.  The refresh delay will be
increase with the no. of page.  For example, a report with 300 pages, in the
first page , the refresh delay of the VFP 6 compiled exe is 0.5 second, at
the page 200, the refresh delay will become 2 seconds.
However, the VFP 3.0B compiled exe will give instant response in zooming no
matter what page is it.

Will this behaviour give you some hints ?

Thanks for your help .

Matthew

Quote:
> Hi Matthew:

> I agree that this is probably not a printer driver issue, but I was
> throwing that out for consideration.

> Since this is a display issue, do you see a performance improvement if you
> boot with a VGA video driver (or in Safe Mode)? Do you modify the report
in
> VFP 6.0 before running it?  If so, try simply running the report (REPORT
> FORM) with out modifying the report (MODI REPORT) in the VFP 6.0
> development environment.

> Have you tried the report preview under VFP 7.0 or 8.0?  Check the
run-time
> libraries (VFP6r.dll and VFP6renu.dll) you are using with the custom
> executable.  Are they the same version as your development environment?

> I hope this helps.

rights.

> [...]

> > >I have one VFP program which was compiled in VFP 3.0B , the zoom in and
> out
> > >of the print report preview works instantly. However, I recompile the
> > >program in VFP 6.0 , the newly compiled program works differently in
zoom
> > >function of report preview.  The zoom in and out pause for a while
before
> > it
> > >can change the view, that is the screen will blank off for a while when
> > >click on the preview. The VFP3.0B compiled program will give me instant
> > >response in zooming.

> > >This situation will improve in a faster cpu machine, but it shows quite
> > >significant slow response in older machine.

> > >I just wondering VFP3.0B and 6.0 are using "different method" in report
> > >preview zooming.

> > >Can anybody lit me to this question? Thanks.

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:54:56 GMT
 preview zoom performance difference in VFP 3.0B and VFP 6.0
Hi Matthew:

You data should be compatible between VFP 3.0 and later Visual FoxPro
versions.  While slight alterations in forms and reports may be needed,
moving up from a previous version of Visual FoxPro is normally a fairly
painless process.

Since previewing fewer pages seems to improve the performance, does your
design allow you to preview fewer pages instead of the entire report?

Here are some more ideas for you to try:

1.      Make sure your VFP temp files are pointed to a valid local folder in
your Config.fpw file.
2.      Defragment the hard drive that contains your VFP and Windows temp files
if possible.
3.      Ensure the hard drive containing your VFP and Windows temp files had at
least 15 MB free disk space.
4.      Try a different font in the report.  If you are using a TrueType font,
try a printer font and vice versa.
5.      Change the Advanced properties of your printer driver (if applicable) to
print with a lower resolution (DPI) and change the TypeType Font option to
"Substitute with Device Font."

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Hi Lee,
>Thanks for your suggestion.  I test it in VGA 640X480 , there is no
>performance improvement.
>I have not tested it under VFP 7 AND 8 , I have to convert the data
>structure to comply with the VFP 7  and 8. Am I right ?  I am not sure
about
>it.
>I did find something in zooming the report.  The refresh delay will be
>increase with the no. of page.  For example, a report with 300 pages, in
the
>first page , the refresh delay of the VFP 6 compiled exe is 0.5 second, at
>the page 200, the refresh delay will become 2 seconds.
>However, the VFP 3.0B compiled exe will give instant response in zooming no
>matter what page is it.
>Will this behaviour give you some hints ?
>Thanks for your help .
>Matthew

> Hi Matthew:

> I agree that this is probably not a printer driver issue, but I was
> throwing that out for consideration.

> Since this is a display issue, do you see a performance improvement if you
> boot with a VGA video driver (or in Safe Mode)? Do you modify the report
in
> VFP 6.0 before running it?  If so, try simply running the report (REPORT
> FORM) with out modifying the report (MODI REPORT) in the VFP 6.0
> development environment.

> Have you tried the report preview under VFP 7.0 or 8.0?  Check the
run-time
> libraries (VFP6r.dll and VFP6renu.dll) you are using with the custom
> executable.  Are they the same version as your development environment?

> I hope this helps.

rights.

> [...]

> > >I have one VFP program which was compiled in VFP 3.0B , the zoom in and
> out
> > >of the print report preview works instantly. However, I recompile the
> > >program in VFP 6.0 , the newly compiled program works differently in
zoom
> > >function of report preview.  The zoom in and out pause for a while
before
> > it
> > >can change the view, that is the screen will blank off for a while when
> > >click on the preview. The VFP3.0B compiled program will give me instant
> > >response in zooming.

> > >This situation will improve in a faster cpu machine, but it shows quite
> > >significant slow response in older machine.

> > >I just wondering VFP3.0B and 6.0 are using "different method" in report
> > >preview zooming.

> > >Can anybody lit me to this question? Thanks.

Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:40:31 GMT

1. Performance differences between VFP 5 and VFP 6

2. Report Preview - VFP 5 - Works only at 100% ZOOM

3. VFP 3.0b performance

4. Degrading performance in VFP 3.0b

5. old newbie and sql edit window in VFP 6.0 or SQL editor for VFP 6.0

6. VFP 6.0 crashes when previewing a FP 2.6 report

7. vfp 6.0 reports printing or previewing

8. VFP 6.0 Preview

9. Date differences between VFP 5 and VFP 6

10. How To Increase Report Preview Zoom in FPW 2.6a

11. How To Increase Report Preview Zoom in FPW 2.6a

12. big performance difference when