String is too long to fit. Message ??
Author Message
 String is too long to fit. Message ??

What does this mean.  I'm new to VFP (6.0), and have taken over a
large
app that I'm in process of decomposing to understand structure, coding
methodologies, etc.

When I select any of the Main menu functions, this message comes up:

"String is too long to fit."

If I try accessing the menu selections a 2nd time the drop-down
(sub-menus) appear normally.  It is always on 1st access of Main menu
bar.

Help...

F.Z. Boston, MA

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:33:40 GMT
 String is too long to fit. Message ??
Fred,
From the help file:
String is too long to fit (Error 1903)
The allowable string length was exceeded.

Normally a string can be up to 16MB long, so this seems unlikely to be your problem. You're just
going to have to fire up the de{*filter*} and trace the code to find out what exactly is causing this
error!

Rick

Quote:
> What does this mean.  I'm new to VFP (6.0), and have taken over a
> large
> app that I'm in process of decomposing to understand structure, coding
> methodologies, etc.

> When I select any of the Main menu functions, this message comes up:

> "String is too long to fit."

> If I try accessing the menu selections a 2nd time the drop-down
> (sub-menus) appear normally.  It is always on 1st access of Main menu
> bar.

> Help...

> F.Z. Boston, MA

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 07:19:57 GMT
 String is too long to fit. Message ??
Fred,

A string constant is limited in length to 255 characters. It sounds like
there is something in the menu program that is not properly working in your
test environment. Open the MPR and see if you have any "odd" looking stuff
in there.

--
df - Microsoft MVP FoxPro http://www.geocities.com/df_foxpro

Quote:
> What does this mean.  I'm new to VFP (6.0), and have taken over a
> large
> app that I'm in process of decomposing to understand structure, coding
> methodologies, etc.

> When I select any of the Main menu functions, this message comes up:

> "String is too long to fit."

> If I try accessing the menu selections a 2nd time the drop-down
> (sub-menus) appear normally.  It is always on 1st access of Main menu
> bar.

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:42:55 GMT
 String is too long to fit. Message ??
If it is an error message you should gbe able to Suspend and open the
De{*filter*}'s Trace window on the code and see where and why it happens.
-Anders

Quote:
> What does this mean.  I'm new to VFP (6.0), and have taken over a
> large
> app that I'm in process of decomposing to understand structure, coding
> methodologies, etc.

> When I select any of the Main menu functions, this message comes up:

> "String is too long to fit."

> If I try accessing the menu selections a 2nd time the drop-down
> (sub-menus) appear normally.  It is always on 1st access of Main menu
> bar.

> Help...

> F.Z. Boston, MA

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:14:33 GMT

1. Help: String to Long to fit!

2. STRTRAN() to fix ASCII: Error 1903: String is too long to fit

3. Beware the String Too Long To Fit

4. String is too long to fit

5. Error 1903 - String Is Too Long To Fit

6. Long, long character string

7. "Line too long to fit" Error

8. Print error message: Detail band is too large to fit on page

9. String too long in PICTURE "@M"

10. ?? long strings?

11. string to long error

12. Long string problems