Best programming language for an interface.
Author Message
 Best programming language for an interface.

Hello all, I just got back from a long over due vacation to run headinto all
the problems that were waiting for me.

Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my mouse
over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB has
for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work like
they do in IE.

So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all out
on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could really
use mouseovers.

Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
would really like to keep everything all under one program language but if I
have to split it up I need to know now.

Thank,
Bryan Smith

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

Quote:
> Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my mouse
> over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
has
> for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work like
> they do in IE.

> So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all out
> on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
> somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
really
> use mouseovers.

Look at the UT. There is now a new class which does this.

Quote:
> Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
> would really like to keep everything all under one program language but if
> have to split it up I need to know now.

I agree that if you want to do special user interface things you sometimes
can better use VB or Delphi. But it is possible in VFP and i think the
database part is faster if you call it directly from VFP instead of using
several layers between the UI and the data.
It is up to you what you want.

Hope this helps you a bit,

Ko wisse
VFP-er
Flexisoft

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

Derek,
The UT is the Universal Thread (http://www.universalthread.com/ ). While you
do have to register, access to all the forum messages and files are free -
membership gets you some advanced search capabilities and some other
goodies.

Rick

Quote:
> Hi,
> Reading this thread with great interest.......
> Would you please tell me (Ko or someone) what is the "UT"
> referred to?
> Thank you,
> Derek.

> > Hello all, I just got back from a long over due vacation to run headinto
> all
> > the problems that were waiting for me.

> > Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> > custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my
mouse
> > over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
> has
> > for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> > buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work
like
> > they do in IE.

> > So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all
out
> > on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
> > somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
> really
> > use mouseovers.

> > Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
> > would really like to keep everything all under one program language but
if
> > have to split it up I need to know now.

> > Thank,
> > Bryan Smith

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

I find it hard to justify changing a language over some graphics issues in
the interface layer.

If you want eye candy play with VB.  If you want data at high speed stick
with VFP.

Is this so critical with the user/client, or just your wish to do something
different? Granted if you're trying to bring in real time data into a
control and it doesn't work that is a different thing altogether.

__Stephen

Quote:
> Hello all, I just got back from a long over due vacation to run headinto
all
> the problems that were waiting for me.

> Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my mouse
> over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
has
> for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work like
> they do in IE.

> So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all out
> on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
> somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
really
> use mouseovers.

> Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
> would really like to keep everything all under one program language but if
> have to split it up I need to know now.

> Thank,
> Bryan Smith

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.
I've researched this topic and reached the conclusion that there is no
reliable way to have mouseover effects using VFP's own controls,
because none of them have MouseExit or any corresponding event that
fires when mouse leaves the bounds of an object. VFP 7 promises to
adress this, but it's still months away. However, all is not lost
because VFP 6 comes with foxhwnd ActiveX control that provides a
window in which one can display custom images. It doesn't have any
other visual properties and it also exposes its window handle (hWnd).
Using GetCapture, SetCapture and ReleaseCapture API functions I was
able to build a near-perfect mouseover effect container that doesn't
suffer from annoying visual glitches like having the "raised" image
sticking around when mouse is quickly moved off the object. The
downside is that currently a separate image is needed to reflect each
state of the object (idle / mouse over / mouse down), so one probably
wouldn't want to make too extensive use of this method.
Quote:
>Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
>custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my mouse
>over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB has
>for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
>buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work like
>they do in IE.

>So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all out
>on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
>somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could really
>use mouseovers.

>Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
>would really like to keep everything all under one program language but if I
>have to split it up I need to know now.

>Thank,
>Bryan Smith

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

This is critical to sales with our clients unfortunately.  They want flash
and bang and our competitors are not supplying it.  So we will.

When it comes to what makes the buck you go with what makes the buck.
*shrugs*

Bryan Smith

Quote:
> I find it hard to justify changing a language over some graphics issues in
> the interface layer.

> If you want eye candy play with VB.  If you want data at high speed stick
> with VFP.

> Is this so critical with the user/client, or just your wish to do
something
> different? Granted if you're trying to bring in real time data into a
> control and it doesn't work that is a different thing altogether.

> __Stephen

> > Hello all, I just got back from a long over due vacation to run headinto
> all
> > the problems that were waiting for me.

> > Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> > custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my
mouse
> > over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
> has
> > for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> > buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work
like
> > they do in IE.

> > So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all
out
> > on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
> > somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
> really
> > use mouseovers.

> > Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
> > would really like to keep everything all under one program language but
if
> > have to split it up I need to know now.

> > Thank,
> > Bryan Smith

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

Can I get a copy of your method?

Bryan Smith

Quote:
> I've researched this topic and reached the conclusion that there is no
> reliable way to have mouseover effects using VFP's own controls,
> because none of them have MouseExit or any corresponding event that
> fires when mouse leaves the bounds of an object. VFP 7 promises to
> adress this, but it's still months away. However, all is not lost
> because VFP 6 comes with foxhwnd ActiveX control that provides a
> window in which one can display custom images. It doesn't have any
> other visual properties and it also exposes its window handle (hWnd).
> Using GetCapture, SetCapture and ReleaseCapture API functions I was
> able to build a near-perfect mouseover effect container that doesn't
> suffer from annoying visual glitches like having the "raised" image
> sticking around when mouse is quickly moved off the object. The
> downside is that currently a separate image is needed to reflect each
> state of the object (idle / mouse over / mouse down), so one probably
> wouldn't want to make too extensive use of this method.

> >Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> >custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my
mouse
> >over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
has
> >for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> >buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work
like
> >they do in IE.

> >So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all
out
> >on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
> >somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
really
> >use mouseovers.

> >Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
> >would really like to keep everything all under one program language but
if I
> >have to split it up I need to know now.

> >Thank,
> >Bryan Smith

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

Quote:

> Hello all, I just got back from a long over due vacation to run headinto
> all
> the problems that were waiting for me.

> Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my
> mouse
> over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
> has
> for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work
> like
> they do in IE.

> So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all
> out
> on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
> somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
> really
> use mouseovers.

> Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
> would really like to keep everything all under one program language but
> if I
> have to split it up I need to know now.

Bryan,

It's possible to do mouseover behavior natively in VFP. I do it in VFP 3
for both Mac and Windows and it works just fine -- without even a
noticable performance hit, such as you might expect from constant
handling of MouseMove events.

Just use the MouseMove() of the control class to set its mouseover
appearance and the MouseMove() of the form and the other control classes
to clear the mouseover appearance of whatever control last got the
mouseover appearance. There are of course a few fussy details to be
worked out but once you write it into your standard control and form
classes you can forget about it and it works like a charm.

Hope this helps,
- Neil

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.
Check your email.
Quote:

>Can I get a copy of your method?

>Bryan Smith

>> I've researched this topic and reached the conclusion that there is no
>> reliable way to have mouseover effects using VFP's own controls,
>> because none of them have MouseExit or any corresponding event that
>> fires when mouse leaves the bounds of an object. VFP 7 promises to
>> adress this, but it's still months away. However, all is not lost
>> because VFP 6 comes with foxhwnd ActiveX control that provides a
>> window in which one can display custom images. It doesn't have any
>> other visual properties and it also exposes its window handle (hWnd).
>> Using GetCapture, SetCapture and ReleaseCapture API functions I was
>> able to build a near-perfect mouseover effect container that doesn't
>> suffer from annoying visual glitches like having the "raised" image
>> sticking around when mouse is quickly moved off the object. The
>> downside is that currently a separate image is needed to reflect each
>> state of the object (idle / mouse over / mouse down), so one probably
>> wouldn't want to make too extensive use of this method.

>> >Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
>> >custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my
>mouse
>> >over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
>has
>> >for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
>> >buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work
>like
>> >they do in IE.

>> >So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all
>out
>> >on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
>> >somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
>really
>> >use mouseovers.

>> >Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
>> >would really like to keep everything all under one program language but
>if I
>> >have to split it up I need to know now.

>> >Thank,
>> >Bryan Smith

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

Hi,
Reading this thread with great interest.......
Would you please tell me (Ko or someone) what is the "UT"
referred to?
Thank you,
Derek.

Quote:
> Hello all, I just got back from a long over due vacation to run headinto
all
> the problems that were waiting for me.

> Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my mouse
> over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like VB
has
> for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work like
> they do in IE.

> So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all out
> on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface is
> somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
really
> use mouseovers.

> Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?  I
> would really like to keep everything all under one program language but if
> have to split it up I need to know now.

> Thank,
> Bryan Smith

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 00:46:52 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

Oh well then I'd do the entire thing in VB and use MSDE or SQL Server as the
back end.

__Stephen

Quote:
> This is critical to sales with our clients unfortunately.  They want flash
> and bang and our competitors are not supplying it.  So we will.

> When it comes to what makes the buck you go with what makes the buck.
> *shrugs*

> Bryan Smith

> > I find it hard to justify changing a language over some graphics issues
in
> > the interface layer.

> > If you want eye candy play with VB.  If you want data at high speed
stick
> > with VFP.

> > Is this so critical with the user/client, or just your wish to do
> something
> > different? Granted if you're trying to bring in real time data into a
> > control and it doesn't work that is a different thing altogether.

> > __Stephen

> > > Hello all, I just got back from a long over due vacation to run
headinto
> > all
> > > the problems that were waiting for me.

> > > Anyhow, I'm at the point of sprucing up my program interface with nice
> > > custom graphics etc.  But I have yet to find a usable solution to my
> mouse
> > > over problem.  I need mouseover graphics like websites have and like
VB
> > has
> > > for that matter.  I've tried the mouseoverfx for vfp but it's for cool
> > > buttons which is close but not quite.  Even cool buttons doesn't work
> like
> > > they do in IE.

> > > So what does everyone else ues for their interface? Does anyone go all
> out
> > > on sprucing theirs up?  If you have ever used Quickbooks my interface
is
> > > somewhat similiar in style.  It's very professional looking but could
> > really
> > > use mouseovers.

> > > Should I just use VB for the interface and use OBDC to VFP database?
> > > would really like to keep everything all under one program language
but
> if
> > > have to split it up I need to know now.

> > > Thank,
> > > Bryan Smith

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Best programming language for an interface.

Quote:

>Oh well then I'd do the entire thing in VB and use MSDE or SQL Server as
>the back end.

Too expensive to scale.

we're using VFP as the back end communicating either via XML or as a COM
object.

You can then slap a VB front end on, but still use VP for what it does best
- data.

Andy D

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. good development language?

2. Best way to learn VFP's OOP Language

3. Help : Best way to interface Foxpro with VB4

4. Best HTML interface?

5. Language Translation Program

6. programming language

7. Need Calendar Interface for FoxPro Program.

8. Recommendations for good books about FoxPro4Win programming

9. Best Caching Program For Foxpro2.5

10. A good graphing program for VFP 6

11. Any better ways to manage programs?

12. Which background database program would be best?