Jumping text labels Batman!
Author Message
 Jumping text labels Batman!

Context: Win2KPro, VFP 8 (Saw it in VFP 7 also.)

Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
where you place them on a form?

For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and
stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!

Cheers,
Mike Fidler

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:27:58 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!
Hi Mike:

This is one I have never heard of, but I will offer some suggestions anyway.

1. Boot in Safe Mode.  This might be a video driver issue.  I have seen
video drivers cause all kinds of display interference.
2. Issue a COMPILE FORM command.  Does the problem still occur?
3. Delete or Rename the current Foxuser file as shown in SYS(2005).
4. Disable (temporarily ) any anti virus software for testing purposes.

Is the form in a project? Are you modifying the form via that Project
Manager? (Maybe the project is corrupt.)

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Context: Win2KPro, VFP 8 (Saw it in VFP 7 also.)
>Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
>where you place them on a form?
>For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and
>stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!
>Cheers,
>Mike Fidler

Tue, 06 Sep 2005 23:51:39 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!

Quote:

> This is one I have never heard of, but I will offer some suggestions
anyway.

> 1. Boot in Safe Mode.  This might be a video driver issue.  I have seen
> video drivers cause all kinds of display interference.
> 2. Issue a COMPILE FORM command.  Does the problem still occur?
> 3. Delete or Rename the current Foxuser file as shown in SYS(2005).
> 4. Disable (temporarily ) any anti virus software for testing purposes.

Thanks for the response, Lee.

The above will have to wait. I'm the Sheriff of Deadlineville.

I have circumvented the problem by deleting the roaming (or I should
say homing) label and adding a new one. Not sure if this is significant,
but the form this happens on was created with the form wizard.
It's almost like the label's position coordinates get branded
somewhere and restored when I re-open the form with Modify.

One other symptom is, if I select the label and move it with the
keyboard arrow keys, it jumps a ways (not sure but maybe
back to where I had tried to put it before) and then settles
down to move a pixel at a time in the direction appropriate
for the key press.

That last symptom feels like it's related to snap-to-grid, but that's
just a guess. Something I'll turn off.

Quote:
> Is the form in a project? Are you modifying the form via that Project
> Manager? (Maybe the project is corrupt.)

Yes, I'm working in a project, through the manager. At some
point if I see the behavior again, I'll try adding the form to a {*filter*}
project. I'd guess corruption of the form before the project, though.

Quote:
> I hope this helps.

Moi ici.

Cheers,
Mike

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:24:18 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!
Hi,

Yup ... I've had this problem with labels with Alignment
property set to1 (Right) and the labels fairly close to the
left hand side of a form.
VFP6 & 7.

I resolved this by setting the Alignment property to 0 (Left)
and aligning labels manually to give them a right-aligned look
(if you know what I mean!)

Regards
--
Roger Ansell
Adelaide, Australia

My real email address is ransell  at senet.dot com dot au

Quote:
> Context: Win2KPro, VFP 8 (Saw it in VFP 7 also.)

> Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
> where you place them on a form?

> For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and
> stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!

> Cheers,
> Mike Fidler

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:34:39 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!

group.com says...

Quote:
> Context: Win2KPro, VFP 8 (Saw it in VFP 7 also.)

> Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
> where you place them on a form?

> For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and
> stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!

The only problems I have are labels with AutoSize = .T. and Alignment =
Right.  They worked OK in VFP3, but when we upgraded to VFP7 we had to
change them all because they moved around.

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 01:53:34 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!
Hello, Mike!
You wrote  on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:27:58 -0500:

 MF> Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
 MF> where you place them on a form?

 MF> For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and
 MF> stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!

 MF> Cheers,
 MF> Mike Fidler

I can confirm the situation as described by Roger and Jack. This problem
exists in VFP6 and VFP7, not seen it yet in VFP8.
---
Eric den Doop

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 03:09:24 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!
Hi guys:

Thanks for the information.  This is one I had never heard of before.  I am
glad it does not seem to happen in VFP 8.0.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Hello, Mike!
>You wrote  on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:27:58 -0500:

 >MF> Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
 >MF> where you place them on a form?

 >MF> For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and

Quote:
> MF> stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!
> MF> Cheers,

 >MF> Mike Fidler
Quote:
>I can confirm the situation as described by Roger and Jack. This problem
>exists in VFP6 and VFP7, not seen it yet in VFP8.
>---
>Eric den Doop
>www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Wed, 07 Sep 2005 04:09:53 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!
Heya - sounds like u did it with the form wizard - so check out the base
class of the textbox in question and take a look at the PEM stuff..
hth - mondo regards [Bill]

Quote:
> Context: Win2KPro, VFP 8 (Saw it in VFP 7 also.)

> Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
> where you place them on a form?

> For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and
> stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!

> Cheers,
> Mike Fidler

Fri, 09 Sep 2005 22:23:45 GMT
 Jumping text labels Batman!
Hi Lee,

This is happening in VFP 8.

It does indeed seem to be related to Alignment=Right, and
possibly the following two additional factors:
AutoSize = .T. and proximity to the left edge of the form.

In retrospect, I have seen the problem a fair distance from the
left edge, but there was another control to the left of the label.
Not certain if this contributory.

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
> Hi guys:

> Thanks for the information.  This is one I had never heard of before.  I
am
> glad it does not seem to happen in VFP 8.0.

rights.

> Sincerely,
> Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
> Lee Mitchell

> >Hello, Mike!
> >You wrote  on Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:27:58 -0500:

>  >MF> Anyone else experiencing a problem trying to keep text labels
>  >MF> where you place them on a form?

>  >MF> For some strange reason they find a spot they like, and
> > MF> stubbornly keep migrating back there like a defiant cat!

> > MF> Cheers,
>  >MF> Mike Fidler

> >I can confirm the situation as described by Roger and Jack. This problem
> >exists in VFP6 and VFP7, not seen it yet in VFP8.
> >---
> >Eric den Doop
> >www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:48:52 GMT

1. Jumping text-boxes in grids

2. DisabledForeColor for Label & Text Objects

3. Rotating text/barcode true-type font on label/report in VFP

4. Labels with Generic Text driver

5. VFP - Using a text or label control with IIF()

6. Making Labels/Text Boxes visible

7. Reports: Changing Text Labels

8. Autocreate a form including label and or text boxen from an executable

9. Text in fisrt column of label only

10. Red command button with White label text?

11. Printing labels to label printer from Fox

12. Printing of labels with FoxBase labels program on HP 6L Laser Printer