BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step
Author Message
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Has anyone had the occasion to use this book and its accompanying floppy?
It's published by
Microsoft Press and "written" by a subcontractor, Technical Learning
Resources.

I'm finding that the data provided in the tutorial samples is flawed, i.e.
you can't complete
tutorials in the book because sample data is not there as referred to.
Sometimes the lessons
will crash because of variables not found, etc.  Not exactly a friendly
hand-holding introduction
to VFP!

I've called Microsoft (why?) and was referred to 5 different telephone
numbers:  1) Microsoft
Press recording referred me to 2) Foxpro tech support who referred me to
3) Microsoft Sales who
referred me to a "live" number at 4) Microsoft Press who referred me to 5)
Microsoft Office Tech
support (I think they were just trying to get rid of me!)

I was just trying to see if there was a newer floppy available than the
one that came with the
book.  Oh well.  Anybody out there using this book/floppy have a similar
experience to me?
I'll probably just struggle through the parts of the tutorials that do
work...and then go buy
another book not published by Microsoft.

Thanks for listening!

Matt Bloomfield

Sat, 08 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Hi Matt,

Go get yourself a copy of "Programming Visual FoxPro 3.0" by Whil Hentzen.
Some of his examples are a little flawed also, but you'll find the author
quite available via Compuserve.

Dan
--
   Dan Freeman
   IMG University

Quote:
> Has anyone had the occasion to use this book and its accompanying floppy?
> It's published by
> Microsoft Press and "written" by a subcontractor, Technical Learning
> Resources.

> I'm finding that the data provided in the tutorial samples is flawed,
i.e.
> you can't complete
> tutorials in the book because sample data is not there as referred to.
> Sometimes the lessons
> will crash because of variables not found, etc.  Not exactly a friendly
> hand-holding introduction
> to VFP!

> I've called Microsoft (why?) and was referred to 5 different telephone
> numbers:  1) Microsoft
> Press recording referred me to 2) Foxpro tech support who referred me to
> 3) Microsoft Sales who
> referred me to a "live" number at 4) Microsoft Press who referred me to
5)
> Microsoft Office Tech
> support (I think they were just trying to get rid of me!)

> I was just trying to see if there was a newer floppy available than the
> one that came with the
> book.  Oh well.  Anybody out there using this book/floppy have a similar
> experience to me?
> I'll probably just struggle through the parts of the tutorials that do
> work...and then go buy
> another book not published by Microsoft.

> Thanks for listening!

> Matt Bloomfield

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Quote:

> Has anyone had the occasion to use this book and its accompanying floppy?
> It's published by
> Microsoft Press and "written" by a subcontractor, Technical Learning
> Resources.

> I'm finding that the data provided in the tutorial samples is flawed, i.e.
> you can't complete
> tutorials in the book because sample data is not there as referred to.
> Sometimes the lessons
> will crash because of variables not found, etc.  Not exactly a friendly
> hand-holding introduction
> to VFP!

> I've called Microsoft (why?) and was referred to 5 different telephone
> numbers:  1) Microsoft
> Press recording referred me to 2) Foxpro tech support who referred me to
> 3) Microsoft Sales who
> referred me to a "live" number at 4) Microsoft Press who referred me to 5)
> Microsoft Office Tech
> support (I think they were just trying to get rid of me!)

> I was just trying to see if there was a newer floppy available than the
> one that came with the
> book.  Oh well.  Anybody out there using this book/floppy have a similar
> experience to me?
> I'll probably just struggle through the parts of the tutorials that do
> work...and then go buy
> another book not published by Microsoft.

> Thanks for listening!

> Matt Bloomfield

Yes, I have this book and found the same problems with the tutorials.
Unfortunately I didn't take the time to try and find updates but I did
find enough usefull information in the book to get me started.

I also picked up the CD 'Mastering Microsoft Visual FoxPro'. Between
these two resources, the knowledge base at MS and this news group I've
been able to solve, or find work arounds for almost all of my problems.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, but I thought I'd at least
share my experiences.

Linn

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Hi Matt.

Didn't MS release some updates to the accompanying files? I'd search the KB
for updates or look on the main VFP web site.

I've just checked but I can't see it there - Am I mis-remembering or can
someone else confirm whether it's worth looking for these files?

Cheers,

Andrew Coates

Quote:
> Has anyone had the occasion to use this book and its accompanying floppy?
> It's published by
> Microsoft Press and "written" by a subcontractor, Technical Learning
> Resources.

> I'm finding that the data provided in the tutorial samples is flawed,
i.e.
> you can't complete
> tutorials in the book because sample data is not there as referred to.
> Sometimes the lessons
> will crash because of variables not found, etc.  Not exactly a friendly
> hand-holding introduction
> to VFP!

> I've called Microsoft (why?) and was referred to 5 different telephone
> numbers:  1) Microsoft
> Press recording referred me to 2) Foxpro tech support who referred me to
> 3) Microsoft Sales who
> referred me to a "live" number at 4) Microsoft Press who referred me to
5)
> Microsoft Office Tech
> support (I think they were just trying to get rid of me!)

> I was just trying to see if there was a newer floppy available than the
> one that came with the
> book.  Oh well.  Anybody out there using this book/floppy have a similar
> experience to me?
> I'll probably just struggle through the parts of the tutorials that do
> work...and then go buy
> another book not published by Microsoft.

> Thanks for listening!

> Matt Bloomfield

Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Quote:
>Yes, I have this book and found the same problems with the tutorials.
>Unfortunately I didn't take the time to try and find updates but I did
>find enough usefull information in the book to get me started.

>I also picked up the CD 'Mastering Microsoft Visual FoxPro'. Between
>these two resources, the knowledge base at MS and this news group I've
>been able to solve, or find work arounds for almost all of my problems.

>Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you, but I thought I'd at least
>share my experiences.

Linn,

Someone on the comp.databases.xbase.fox newsgroup (where I also posted my
message) let me know that update files with corrections did indeed exist
and were available for download off of one of Microsoft's web pages.  I wish
one of the Microsoft people I talked to on the phone could have told me this!
After about 15 minutes of bouncing around various Microsoft web pages, I finally
found it and downloaded it and it corrected all the problems I had.  Thanks for
replying!

Matt

Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Quote:

>Hi Matt.

>Didn't MS release some updates to the accompanying files? I'd search the KB
>for updates or look on the main VFP web site.

>I've just checked but I can't see it there - Am I mis-remembering or can
>someone else confirm whether it's worth looking for these files?

>Cheers,

>Andrew Coates

Yes, they did release updates (although no one who I talked to on the phone at
Microsoft could tell me this). I don't have the specific web page address that
I found the correction files at right now (it was some deep level subdirectory of
a Microsoft Press web page), but I did download the changes and they corrected all
the problems I was experiencing.

Sun, 16 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

Quote:
>Has anyone had the occasion to use this book and its accompanying floppy?
>It's published by
>Microsoft Press and "written" by a subcontractor, Technical Learning
>Resources.

I have read and used the tutorials in this book.  I also own a copy of
"Mastering VFP 3.0 on CD".  The book should be sold at a library
auction and I doubt it sells for more than $.15 which, in my opinion,
is more than it is worth.  The Mastering VFP CD gives me just enough
useless CD's (I'm counting all those AOL CD's I have lying around) to
complete my Mobile (mobeel).

The best book that I have read on VFP and still find useful is "The
visual Guide to Visual Fox Pro" by Ventana Press.  I found it to be an
excellent resource and I highly Recommend it.

Spam Hater: Please remove the 'x' from the email to respond
http://www.apci.net/~mrlmz/visions.htm
[Home of the Christian Truckers T-shirt]

Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. BOOK: Visual Foxpro 3 Step by Step

2. WTB: MS Visual Foxpro 3.0 Step-by-step

3. Visual FoxPro 3 For Windows Step by Step

4. Step by step book for Macintosh

5. Any other step by step example for Web Connection

6. VFP3 for Windows Step by Step

7. VFP50a - SET STEP ON / SET STEP OFF?

8. Codebook 3.0 - A step-by-Step Guide" by Paul Bienick.

9. Stepping through Fields in a .DBF

10. Set Step On with OLE ?

11. TAPI - First Step

12. Help with multiple step reports