messagebox( )
Author Message
 messagebox( )

Hi

With no disk in drive A, type CHDIR a:\ in the command window and press
enter. A messagebox appears with Cancel, Try again and Continue options. The
last two are not available options with the messagebox( ) command. Is this
done using a class in vfp or is this the windows messagebox. Is it possible
to have access to these extra options. (Try again may return the same as
retry, but the name is changed).

Thanks
Denis

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:08:44 GMT
 messagebox( )
I just get an error message that says :"invalid file name or path"
Either way it's an internal error message that you can not access.

Quote:
> Hi

> With no disk in drive A, type CHDIR a:\ in the command window and press
> enter. A messagebox appears with Cancel, Try again and Continue options.
The
> last two are not available options with the messagebox( ) command. Is this
> done using a class in vfp or is this the windows messagebox. Is it
possible
> to have access to these extra options. (Try again may return the same as
> retry, but the name is changed).

> Thanks
> Denis

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:20:02 GMT
 messagebox( )
I'm using Windows2000 and get this message in both vfp6.0 and 7.0.

Denis.

Quote:
> I just get an error message that says :"invalid file name or path"
> Either way it's an internal error message that you can not access.

> > Hi

> > With no disk in drive A, type CHDIR a:\ in the command window and press
> > enter. A messagebox appears with Cancel, Try again and Continue options.
> The
> > last two are not available options with the messagebox( ) command. Is
this
> > done using a class in vfp or is this the windows messagebox. Is it
> possible
> > to have access to these extra options. (Try again may return the same as
> > retry, but the name is changed).

> > Thanks
> > Denis

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:48:58 GMT
 messagebox( )
Type "ON ERROR" in the command window (without the quotes) then
press Enter.

Try "CD a:\" again.
Still the same problem?

I'm using XP (which after all, is only Win2K with eye candy <s>)
and can't reproduce the behaviour you describe.

--
Roger Ansell
FE AVP&Cie

Quote:
> I'm using Windows2000 and get this message in both vfp6.0 and 7.0.

> Denis.

> > I just get an error message that says :"invalid file name or path"
> > Either way it's an internal error message that you can not access.

> > > Hi

> > > With no disk in drive A, type CHDIR a:\ in the command window and press
> > > enter. A messagebox appears with Cancel, Try again and Continue options.
> > The
> > > last two are not available options with the messagebox( ) command. Is
> this
> > > done using a class in vfp or is this the windows messagebox. Is it
> > possible
> > > to have access to these extra options. (Try again may return the same as
> > > retry, but the name is changed).

> > > Thanks
> > > Denis

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:04:21 GMT
 messagebox( )
Makes no difference with "On Error"

The message box Caption is "VFP6.EXE - No Disk" or "VFP7.EXE - No Disk"  and
the text of the message reads, "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert
a disk into drive A:.

Denis

Quote:
> Type "ON ERROR" in the command window (without the quotes) then
> press Enter.

> Try "CD a:\" again.
> Still the same problem?

> I'm using XP (which after all, is only Win2K with eye candy <s>)
> and can't reproduce the behaviour you describe.

> --
> Roger Ansell
> FE AVP&Cie
> Adelaide, Australia

> > I'm using Windows2000 and get this message in both vfp6.0 and 7.0.

> > Denis.

> > > I just get an error message that says :"invalid file name or path"
> > > Either way it's an internal error message that you can not access.

> > > The
Is
> > this
> > > possible

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:22:28 GMT
 messagebox( )
It must be a part of Windows2000. I've tried it on a Windows 98 machine and
just get the invalid path error. This is the error I get it I choose Cancel
or Continue in Windows2000, without inserting a disk.

Denis.

Quote:
> Makes no difference with "On Error"

> The message box Caption is "VFP6.EXE - No Disk" or "VFP7.EXE - No Disk"
and
> the text of the message reads, "There is no disk in the drive. Please
insert
> a disk into drive A:.

> Denis

> > Type "ON ERROR" in the command window (without the quotes) then
> > press Enter.

> > Try "CD a:\" again.
> > Still the same problem?

> > I'm using XP (which after all, is only Win2K with eye candy <s>)
> > and can't reproduce the behaviour you describe.

> > --
> > Roger Ansell
> > FE AVP&Cie
> > Adelaide, Australia

> > > I'm using Windows2000 and get this message in both vfp6.0 and 7.0.

> > > Denis.

> press
> options.
> Is
> > > this
> same as

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:39:15 GMT
 messagebox( )
Dennis

If you just want to check drive A: w/o a message, try WSH
    oFS = createobject('Scripting.FilesystemObject')
    ? oFS.Drives('A').IsReady

-Stefan

--
FE AVP&Cie
Hamburg, Europe

Quote:
> Makes no difference with "On Error"

> The message box Caption is "VFP6.EXE - No Disk" or "VFP7.EXE - No Disk"  and
> the text of the message reads, "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert
> a disk into drive A:.

> Denis

> > Type "ON ERROR" in the command window (without the quotes) then
> > press Enter.

> > Try "CD a:\" again.
> > Still the same problem?

> > I'm using XP (which after all, is only Win2K with eye candy <s>)
> > and can't reproduce the behaviour you describe.

> > --
> > Roger Ansell
> > FE AVP&Cie
> > Adelaide, Australia

> > > I'm using Windows2000 and get this message in both vfp6.0 and 7.0.

> > > Denis.

> press
> options.
> Is
> > > this
> same as

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:46:44 GMT
 messagebox( )
Thanks for your reply Stefan, but I am interested in the extra options
presented by the messagebox i.e. Try again and Continue. These are not
available with the messagebox( ) command in vfp.

Denis.

Quote:
> Dennis

> If you just want to check drive A: w/o a message, try WSH
>     oFS = createobject('Scripting.FilesystemObject')
>     ? oFS.Drives('A').IsReady

> -Stefan

> --
> FE AVP&Cie
> Hamburg, Europe

> > Makes no difference with "On Error"

> > The message box Caption is "VFP6.EXE - No Disk" or "VFP7.EXE - No Disk"
and
> > the text of the message reads, "There is no disk in the drive. Please
insert
> > a disk into drive A:.

> > Denis

> > > Type "ON ERROR" in the command window (without the quotes) then
> > > press Enter.

> > > Try "CD a:\" again.
> > > Still the same problem?

> > > I'm using XP (which after all, is only Win2K with eye candy <s>)
> > > and can't reproduce the behaviour you describe.

> > > --
> > > Roger Ansell
> > > FE AVP&Cie
> > > Adelaide, Australia

> > press
> > options.
command.
> > Is
> > same as

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:54:12 GMT
 messagebox( )
Stefan gave you a way of testing whether or not drive A is
accessible. So you can do something like ...

oFS = createobject('Scripting.FilesystemObject')
IF oFS.Drives('A').IsReady
    CD a:\
    * rest of your code
ELSE
    MessageBox("Please insert a disk into drive A")
ENDIF

You're confusing VFP's messagebox() function with the
system (Win2K) generated messagebox.

Roger

--
Roger Ansell
FE AVP&Cie

Quote:
> Thanks for your reply Stefan, but I am interested in the extra options
> presented by the messagebox i.e. Try again and Continue. These are not
> available with the messagebox( ) command in vfp.

> Denis.

> > Dennis

> > If you just want to check drive A: w/o a message, try WSH
> >     oFS = createobject('Scripting.FilesystemObject')
> >     ? oFS.Drives('A').IsReady

> > -Stefan

> > --
> > FE AVP&Cie
> > Hamburg, Europe

> > > Makes no difference with "On Error"

> > > The message box Caption is "VFP6.EXE - No Disk" or "VFP7.EXE - No Disk"
> and
> > > the text of the message reads, "There is no disk in the drive. Please
> insert
> > > a disk into drive A:.

> > > Denis

> and
> > > press
> > > options.
> command.
> > > Is
> it
> > > same as

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:12:14 GMT
 messagebox( )

Quote:
> I'm using Windows2000 and get this message in both vfp6.0 and 7.0.

> Denis.

Some responses are unique to Win2000 - even with other languages
or when you use Windows API functions (DECLARE...etc...)

Paul Lee ........... Abri Technologies ......... http://abri.com/
       'Recover' - top rated FoxPro file repair utility.

Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:29:06 GMT
 messagebox( )
I get the same text on the message box in VFP. I'm also curious as to what
parameters to use or whether there are some features of the Windows
Messagebox that VFP doesn't support.

--

Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft MVP

> > I'm using Windows2000 and get this message in both vfp6.0 and 7.0.

> > Denis.

> Some responses are unique to Win2000 - even with other languages
> or when you use Windows API functions (DECLARE...etc...)

> Paul Lee ........... Abri Technologies ......... http://abri.com/
>        'Recover' - top rated FoxPro file repair utility.

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 02:53:50 GMT
 messagebox( )
I was led to believe that the vfp messagebox( ) function made calls to the
system messagebox. i.e. if I needed to change the colour or font for the vfp
messagebox( ) then users had to go to the the system settings to make the
changes. As Cindy points out in her mail it seems that the messagebox has
other properities that vfp doesn't have access to.

Denis

Quote:
> Stefan gave you a way of testing whether or not drive A is
> accessible. So you can do something like ...

> oFS = createobject('Scripting.FilesystemObject')
> IF oFS.Drives('A').IsReady
>     CD a:\
>     * rest of your code
> ELSE
>     MessageBox("Please insert a disk into drive A")
> ENDIF

> You're confusing VFP's messagebox() function with the
> system (Win2K) generated messagebox.

> Roger

> --
> Roger Ansell
> FE AVP&Cie
> Adelaide, Australia

> > Thanks for your reply Stefan, but I am interested in the extra options
> > presented by the messagebox i.e. Try again and Continue. These are not
> > available with the messagebox( ) command in vfp.

> > Denis.

> > > Dennis

> > > If you just want to check drive A: w/o a message, try WSH
> > >     oFS = createobject('Scripting.FilesystemObject')
> > >     ? oFS.Drives('A').IsReady

> > > -Stefan

> > > --
> > > FE AVP&Cie
> > > Hamburg, Europe

Disk"
> > and
Please
> > insert

7.0.

access.

> > and
Continue
> > command.
Is
> > it

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:53:03 GMT
 messagebox( )
Hm, the common Messagebox() API is in user32.dll while it seems to me
that this special W2k message comes from %systemroot%\System32\
msimsg32.dll
I think if it did not exist in Win9x and also does not in WinXP, it might turn
out that it is not a "common" API? I'm not sure though.

-Stefan

Quote:
> I was led to believe that the vfp messagebox( ) function made calls to the
> system messagebox. i.e. if I needed to change the colour or font for the vfp
> messagebox( ) then users had to go to the the system settings to make the
> changes. As Cindy points out in her mail it seems that the messagebox has
> other properities that vfp doesn't have access to.

> Denis

> > Stefan gave you a way of testing whether or not drive A is
> > accessible. So you can do something like ...

> > oFS = createobject('Scripting.FilesystemObject')
> > IF oFS.Drives('A').IsReady
> >     CD a:\
> >     * rest of your code
> > ELSE
> >     MessageBox("Please insert a disk into drive A")
> > ENDIF

> > You're confusing VFP's messagebox() function with the
> > system (Win2K) generated messagebox.

> > Roger

> > --
> > Roger Ansell
> > FE AVP&Cie
> > Adelaide, Australia

> > > Thanks for your reply Stefan, but I am interested in the extra options
> > > presented by the messagebox i.e. Try again and Continue. These are not
> > > available with the messagebox( ) command in vfp.

> > > Denis.

> Disk"
> > > and
> Please
> > > insert

> 7.0.

> path"
> access.

> window
> > > and
> Continue
> > > command.
> Is
> > > it
> the

Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:53:17 GMT
 messagebox( )

Quote:
> I get the same text on the message box in VFP. I'm also curious as to what
> parameters to use or whether there are some features of the Windows
> Messagebox that VFP doesn't support.

And what Windows version do you have(What SP)? I don't have this message
(VFP7 SP1 Windows 2000 SP 2).

WBR, Igor

Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:38:24 GMT
 messagebox( )
Windows XP Pro with all patches.

--

Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft MVP

> > I get the same text on the message box in VFP. I'm also curious as to
what
> > parameters to use or whether there are some features of the Windows
> > Messagebox that VFP doesn't support.

> And what Windows version do you have(What SP)? I don't have this message
> (VFP7 SP1 Windows 2000 SP 2).

> WBR, Igor

Wed, 15 Sep 2004 22:45:07 GMT

 [ 23 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Messagebox Text sizing

2. help button on messagebox

3. MessageBox visual construction

4. Visual FoxPro v3.0b y WIN 3.X MESSAGEBOX (I need help)

5. Messageboxes - 1st, 2nd or 3rd person?

6. Help with messagebox()?

7. messagebox option

8. Source for MESSAGEBOX() needed...

9. MessageBox Title...