Tab Order and Reports
Author Message
 Tab Order and Reports

Is there a way to change the tab order with reports like you can with forms?

Thanks.

Mike

Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:43:01 GMT
 Tab Order and Reports
Mike,

What exactly are you trying to do?  When a report is being modified you
can't tab from one field to another at all.

Perhaps you are looking for Send to back/Bring to front?  This can be done
through the menu under Format, or with the Layout toolbar with the buttons
that have 3 diamonds on them.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| Is there a way to change the tab order with reports like you can with
forms?

| Thanks.
|
| Mike

Fri, 21 Feb 2003 05:12:26 GMT
 Tab Order and Reports
Hi Cindy,

thanks for your reply.  By accident I found out that the report writer has an
"internal tab order" just like forms.  As an example, here's what I mean.
Suppose I have a report that prints say two people from a master rolodex ie:
patient and doctor (just as an example).  The report could look something like
this:

REPORT FORM next 1
Client:   <rolodex.Name>     && has a print when
Address: <rolodex.Address>

Doctor:  <rolodex.Name>  &&   has a print when
Address <rolodex.Address>

of course I can put additional information from the rolodex like the person's
city, state, zip, telephone number, fax, email, etc.

Now, at first glance it would appear that the doctor's name and the client's
name would be the same because of the record in the rolodex.  However, the
Print When takes care of everything so as to reposition the record in the
rolodex to the correct place.

Then what happens is for the client/doct  textbox I have in the Print When a
function that positions to the correct name in the rolodex (it works GREAT).
After the rolodex is positioned to the correct record, I don't need to execute
the print when again for the address, city, state zip, etc.  It's already
positioned at the current record.

Months later, I added a new field right after the client's address called
Social security number.  However, the record in the rolodex was at eof() and
not at the same as the textboxes above it.  My logic is that it must be at the
last "internal" tab order in the report.  My solution (which works) was to
insert an identical Print  When condition to position the the correct record
again.

I can't just use Send to Front or back because I want to send it after a
specific textbox.  But, your suggestion may be on the right track since I
suppose I could click Send to Front for every object in the report to
reposition the objects in the correct order again.  I suppose just putting the
printwhen function in the new textbox is an easier way to go but I was just
wondering if there was a way to see the order of the objects.

Quote:
>Subject: Re: Tab Order and Reports

>Date: 9/3/2000 2:12 PM Pacific Daylight Time

>Mike,

>What exactly are you trying to do?  When a report is being modified you
>can't tab from one field to another at all.

>Perhaps you are looking for Send to back/Bring to front?  This can be done
>through the menu under Format, or with the Layout toolbar with the buttons
>that have 3 diamonds on them.

Mike

Fri, 21 Feb 2003 06:01:50 GMT

1. Removing a Control From Tab Order

2. Changing Tab order

3. How do you take buttons out of the the tab order

4. Tab order and THISFORM.AddObject()

5. Tab Order when designing forms

6. Tab Order when designing forms

7. Backspace on Object with 1st Tab Order

8. Tab Order

9. SetFocus and Tab Order

10. (p): tab-order and containers

11. setting tab order