not enough memory to complete this operation
Author Message
 not enough memory to complete this operation

I am running a fox app through an sql server conncetion.
With heavy processing on a foxpro cursor I recieve the
message 'There is not enough memory to complete this
operation', however if the volume of data is reduced then
subsequent processing is fine.  I have increased the page
file but one thing I have noticed that at certain point
memory is absorbed continually and performance hangs, I
have tried to release variables and close open cursors but
the virtual memory will not release.  Has any one got  any
ideas?

Sun, 02 Oct 2005 22:16:18 GMT
 not enough memory to complete this operation
Hi Karl:

I assume you are using the remote views or SQL Passthrough to connect to
the SQL Server data.  Is this correct?

Before you connect or open any data, I would optimize the Visual FoxPro
memory buffers using the SYS(3050) function. You may need to alter the
number of bytes the buffer contains (try making it larger or smaller) until
you find the optimum performance setting.  See 176483 PRB: Large Amounts of
RAM Seem to Process Data Slowly
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176483

Before and after you perform each remote view or SQL PassThrough command,
use the SYS(1104) function to clear VFP memory.  See 269284 INFO:
Undocumented Function SYS(1104)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269284

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
  - VFP5 Mainstream Support retires June 30th, 2003
  - VFP6 Mainstream Support retires Sep. 30th, 2003

Quote:
>I am running a fox app through an sql server conncetion.
>With heavy processing on a foxpro cursor I recieve the
>message 'There is not enough memory to complete this
>operation', however if the volume of data is reduced then
>subsequent processing is fine.  I have increased the page
>file but one thing I have noticed that at certain point
>memory is absorbed continually and performance hangs, I
>have tried to release variables and close open cursors but
>the virtual memory will not release.  Has any one got  any
>ideas?

Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:21:11 GMT
 not enough memory to complete this operation

Quote:
> I am running a fox app through an sql server conncetion.
> With heavy processing on a foxpro cursor I recieve the
> message 'There is not enough memory to complete this
> operation', however if the volume of data is reduced then
> subsequent processing is fine.  I have increased the page
> file but one thing I have noticed that at certain point
> memory is absorbed continually and performance hangs, I
> have tried to release variables and close open cursors but
> the virtual memory will not release.  Has any one got  any
> ideas?

Do you know where the cursor resides? It sounds as if it is on the server
(at the point that it dumps it from memory to disc.) We had problems when we
shifted to an NT server from Novell where the number of pages/sec ballooned
on heavy processing of a cursor. The thing ground to a halt and then threw
my most feared message "Internal Consistency Error". We tried increasing the
pagefile size but it only got a little further before doing the same. I
altered the programs to create these large cursors on a local hard drive and
the problem disappeared.

--
HTH
Andrew Howell

Mon, 03 Oct 2005 16:57:48 GMT
 not enough memory to complete this operation
On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 07:16:18 -0700, "Karl"

Could it be that your cursor is growing beyond 2G filesize? If so VFP
eats up all available virtual memory and crashes.

Quote:
>I am running a fox app through an sql server conncetion.
>With heavy processing on a foxpro cursor I recieve the
>message 'There is not enough memory to complete this
>operation', however if the volume of data is reduced then
>subsequent processing is fine.  I have increased the page
>file but one thing I have noticed that at certain point
>memory is absorbed continually and performance hangs, I
>have tried to release variables and close open cursors but
>the virtual memory will not release.  Has any one got  any
>ideas?

Tue, 11 Oct 2005 18:48:45 GMT

1. VFP7 will not open (There is not enough memory to complete this operation)

2. Not enough memory to complete this operation - vfp 3.0

3. There is not enough memory to complete this operation

4. error - There is not enough memory to complete operation

5. Not enough memory to complete operation

6. Not enough memory to complete operation...

7. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

8. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

9. Not enough memory to complete this task

10. VFP 3.0 - Not enough memory for this operation!?

11. Not enough memory error message - but there is plenty of memory

12. FPW2.5: "not enough memory"