getting runtime error 1903
Author Message
 getting runtime error 1903

Wade Davis seemed to utter in

Quote:
> Hi,
> A user is occasionally getting "string too long to fit" (error 1903)
> when saving and updating. The error is trapped in the error event of
> the button clicked. This same button event also occasionally gets the
> error "update conflict" for no apparent reason... the tableupdates are
> all forced. This is Vfp 7 sp1 on a small 5-user network.
> Does any one have an idea where these errors might have originated or
> what they are usually associated with?
> TIA
> Wade

Error 1903 is a result of exceding VFP's string variable
limits.  That is, trying to assign a string too long to
a variable.  Are there memo fields involved?  Do you
scatter and gather?  I suspect that when this happens,
there is an unusually long text assignment involved.

Regarding the update conflict... are you using updatable views?

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 00:37:37 GMT
 getting runtime error 1903
Hi Tim,
Some of what is going on appears to be a 254 char limit on a 'wait window'.
Apparently the message() plus the message(1) length exceeded that limit.....
(I do a wait window in the error method). Just played around with it until I
found that out.
The second error, 'update conflict', seems to occur when one user writes to
a record and another user then opens that record and the update has not yet
left the cache. I will try to correct that by replacing changed fields with
curval() and see it that fixes it.
Thanks,
Wade
Quote:
> > A user is occasionally getting "string too long to fit" (error 1903)
> > when saving and updating. The error is trapped in the error event of
> > the button clicked. This same button event also occasionally gets the
> > error "update conflict" for no apparent reason... the tableupdates are
> > all forced. This is Vfp 7 sp1 on a small 5-user network.
> > Does any one have an idea where these errors might have originated or
> > what they are usually associated with?
> > TIA
> > Wade

> Error 1903 is a result of exceding VFP's string variable
> limits.  That is, trying to assign a string too long to
> a variable.  Are there memo fields involved?  Do you
> scatter and gather?  I suspect that when this happens,
> there is an unusually long text assignment involved.

> Regarding the update conflict... are you using updatable views?

> -- TRW
> _______________________________________
> My e-mail:  t r w 7

> _______________________________________

Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:43:53 GMT

1. STRTRAN() to fix ASCII: Error 1903: String is too long to fit

2. Error 1903 - String Is Too Long To Fit

3. Getting HTML Help to work in Runtime

4. Runtime Error in NT

5. FoxPro 2.6 RunTime Error

6. FPMac2.6 Runtime Error Msg

7. Puzzled over runtime error in Foxbase for Mac

8. Runtime Error Problem

9. Funny runtime error......

10. FPW 2.6 runtime errors

11. FPW25 Runtime Error in geberated .EXE files.

12. Fatal Error in Runtime