HELP: how to append records to a child table in a grid using down arrow
Author Message
 HELP: how to append records to a child table in a grid using down arrow

Hi,

I have a grid on a form, and I would like the user to be able to append
records to the grid when the user hits the down arrow key.  The
Microsoft Knowledge base has an article detailing how to do this.  But
it turns out that it is for a parent table, or a single table within a
data environment.  I actually have the data from the parent table in
text fields, and the data from the child table in the grid.  So my
question is, how do I do this for the child table?  If I use recno(), it
gives me the record number for the parent table.

A second question:  I have a combo box that I am using with a record
source of fields (6).  I want to sort the rows in this combo box
alphabetically, but I see no way to do this with the datasource set up
as fields.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Karen

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: how to append records to a child table in a grid using down arrow

Quote:
> Hi,

> <<<<<Snip>>>>>
> So my question is, how do I do this for the child table?  If I use
recno(), it
> gives me the record number for the parent table.

Karen, you may wish to try child.recno() where you substitute the word
child with the alias or name of the child table.

Hope it works,
Buck

Quote:
><<<<<SNIP>>>>>
> Thanks,

> Karen

Wed, 23 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: how to append records to a child table in a grid using down arrow

Quote:
>> A second question:  I have a combo box that I am using with a record

source of fields (6).  I want to sort the rows in this combo box
alphabetically, but I see no way to do this with the datasource set up
as fields.  Any suggestions? <<

Karen,
If you want to sort them across, you can do that by enumerating the
fields in the Rowsource in alphabetical order, customer.afield, bfield,
cfield. If you want the sorted down, set order to an index on the field
or combination of fields as you load the cursor that is the rowsource of
the combobox. -Anders

--

01/05/97 02:30
---------

Thu, 24 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: how to append records to a child table in a grid using down arrow

Quote:

> > So my question is, how do I do this for the child table?  If I use
> recno(), it
> > gives me the record number for the parent table.
> Karen, you may wish to try child.recno() where you substitute the word
> child with the alias or name of the child table.

Close : the syntax should be RECNO('child'). As far as sorting the records,
you should be able to set a cursor order in the DataEnvironment, but I'd
prefer to base it on a view, rather than a table.
--
Garrett Fitzgerald
Software R&D

Tue, 29 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. auto append new record to child tables from the parent

2. 1-to-many grid shows all records in child table

3. Arrow pointing to current record in grid

4. Help on appending new records in SQL Tables

5. Problem repositioning record point to end of grid when appending records

6. Grid Record Pointer Repositioning Problem When Appending Records.

7. Child table append blank

8. Down arrow within ComboBox

9. using relation to copy/delete records in child database -Reply

10. using relation to copy/delete records in child database -Reply

11. using relation to copy/delete records in child database

12. add child record to grid