V8 DB left Open by 98 Client/XP Server
Author Message
 V8 DB left Open by 98 Client/XP Server

Ok here it is. This problem has been there since V3. If
you have an XP Pro server, and a 98 client, you open a db
from the 98 client, then close it, the file is actually
still open on the XP machine. Now, going the other way,
the XP client/98 Server, the 98 server always closes the
file. Xp client/ XP server, file always closes. 98
Server/98 Client, file always closes. BTW, this is also
true on 2000 in place of the XP of course. Anyone else
get this, and have a solution? Like a way to force close
the file?

Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:42:17 GMT
 V8 DB left Open by 98 Client/XP Server
Hi, Craig!
You wrote  on Thu, 17 Jul 2003 11:42:17 -0700:

 CF> Ok here it is. This problem has been there since V3. If
 CF> you have an XP Pro server, and a 98 client, you open a db
 CF> from the 98 client, then close it, the file is actually
 CF> still open on the XP machine.

I'd say, you have to use one of the Server OSes as Server software, not XP
Pro, or XP Home...

 CF>  Now, going the other way, the XP client/98 Server, the 98 server
 CF> always closes the file.

Heh - Win98 server - it is nonsence, sorry but you have never use Win98 for
such a task, it will have so much problems, than it will be better not to
have any server at all. Just IMHO.

 CF> Xp client/ XP server, file always closes. 98
 CF> Server/98 Client, file always closes. BTW, this is also
 CF> true on 2000 in place of the XP of course. Anyone else
 CF> get this, and have a solution? Like a way to force close
 CF> the file?

non-Server OSes doesn't need any server-specific setings (BTW there are a
few in Win2K/XP pro, but that's may be not enough for normal tuning...).
You have to use server OS (Win2k Server, Win2003 Server or so, even old
WinNT4 will be better than what you have).

WBR, Igor

Wed, 04 Jan 2006 01:11:35 GMT
 V8 DB left Open by 98 Client/XP Server
Ok, maybe you didn't read it clearly. As I said, even on
Win2K as the server (small business server 2000) you get
the exact same problem. In fact, the only time you can
mix and match Oses is using a 98 machine to serve out the
data. 98 ALWAYS closes the files.

Quote:

Sat, 07 Jan 2006 05:53:28 GMT

1. Win95\98 clients can't connect to SQL Server but NT clients can

2. Fox 2.62 win leaves open resources on server

3. VFP 7.0, Windows 98, Windows XP

4. VFP 3.0b and Win 98, ME, XP

5. HELP: Open dbf exclusive in Client Server Network

6. Importing data from Visual Foxpro DB into SQL Server DB

7. cannot open com1 from inside windows 98 MSdos box

8. Problem: ODBC - SQL Server From Win'98

9. DA: Win 98 personal web server 4.0

10. NT Server and Win95/98 Multi-User Performance

11. Question. File Server vs Client Server

12. VFP as Server in Client/Server