Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP?
Author Message
 Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP?

Hi,

I've just upgraded the workstations at my company to
Windows XP, but the result was the business software we
use now runs much slower. The application was made in
Foxpro 2.6.

Anyone have ideas on ways to improve the speed, or do I
downgrade back to Windows 98?

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 02:18:57 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP?

Eric,
Two (?) questions:
1) FoxPro DOS or FoxPro for Windows?
2) When you say "upgraded", are these new computers or did you simply upgrade the OS? XP takes more
resources that previous OS, so on the same hardware many things will run slower - especially when
compared to Win 9x. Also, if the same hardware, did you do clean installs or did you upgrade in
place? What is a typical configuration on these machines? (memory, processor, etc.)

Rick

Quote:

> Hi,

> I've just upgraded the workstations at my company to
> Windows XP, but the result was the business software we
> use now runs much slower. The application was made in
> Foxpro 2.6.

> Anyone have ideas on ways to improve the speed, or do I
> downgrade back to Windows 98?

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 02:38:17 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP?
Eric - in addition to what Rick has asked you - do please peruse the FoxPro
PROFOX mailing list over at http://leafe.com and do a few searches on
'foxpro dos XP' - there are some XP config thingies you need to set..
mondo regards [Bill]

Quote:
> Hi,

> I've just upgraded the workstations at my company to
> Windows XP, but the result was the business software we
> use now runs much slower. The application was made in
> Foxpro 2.6.

> Anyone have ideas on ways to improve the speed, or do I
> downgrade back to Windows 98?

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 02:48:23 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP?
Eric

If you can back off to Windows 98 SE a lot of things get much easier.

I have a few XP (Professional) users on my lan (including my development
machine) and I have one major system that is still in 2.6 for DOS.

There are unresolved issues with network printing and local printing as well
as the performance being sub-par.

Everything is much easier in 98 SE from the networking (we use Netware so
there is yet another set of problems to deal with) to printing to
performance.

I have a big sign on my cork board that says "XP, Just Say No!".

Jeff

Quote:
> Hi,

> I've just upgraded the workstations at my company to
> Windows XP, but the result was the business software we
> use now runs much slower. The application was made in
> Foxpro 2.6.

> Anyone have ideas on ways to improve the speed, or do I
> downgrade back to Windows 98?

Mon, 18 Jul 2005 03:11:58 GMT
 Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP?
Hello Eric,

Quote:

> I've just upgraded the workstations at my company to
> Windows XP, but the result was the business software we
> use now runs much slower. The application was made in
> Foxpro 2.6.

> Anyone have ideas on ways to improve the speed, or do I
> downgrade back to Windows 98?

We had the same problem in our company. I wrote a little
tool to fix this. Normaly an DOS application have nearly
100% cpu consumtion. With the tool dosidle.com you can
throw down this to round about 5%.

I put the program as an uudecode in the mail.

How to use:

-- start.bat-----
dosidle.com
your_fox_app.exe
-----------------

kindly regards
Frank

PS: If you don't know how to convert the uuencoded program
mail me, I send it as an e-mail to you.

begin 0666 dosidle.com

`
end

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 07:07:10 GMT

1. foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP

2. Foxpro 2.6 and Windows XP

3. Foxpro 2.6 FOR DOS and Windows XP

4. FOXPRO 2.6 PRINTING IN WINDOWS XP

5. Foxpro 2.6 does not run in Windows XP

6. Migrating Foxpro 2.5 from Novell 3.2 to a windows 200 server environment on windows XP

7. Windows XP and FPW 2.6

8. FPW 2.6 / WINDOWS XP

9. FPW 2.6 in Windows XP

10. Transporting from FoxPro 2.6/DOS to FoxPro 2.6/WINDOWS

11. Foxpro 2.6 applications and XP

12. FoxPro 2.6 for DOS under XP?