Database table vs Free table ?
Author Message
 Database table vs Free table ?

Hello to you,
Just moving from foxpro 2.5 (DOS) into vfp6

Which one should we use Database table or free table ? When we need it ?

please advice
steven

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:53:57 GMT
 Database table vs Free table ?

Quote:

> Just moving from foxpro 2.5 (DOS) into vfp6
> Which one should we use Database table or free table ? When we need it ?

Steven --

Some valuable features of VFP are not available unless you use a
database, notably transactions and views. I can't think of a reason to
use free tables, except for temporary tables generated at runtime and
such.

It's always uncomfortable to change the way you're accustomed to
working, but this particular change is pretty painless.

- Neil

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:03:48 GMT
 Database table vs Free table ?
Depends on your use for the table.

Including them in a DBC gives you many advantages, including long field
names, field captions, DBC-bound stored procedures (useful for default
values), and so forth. The one big drawback is that DBC-bound tables cannot
be easily separated - this can be a problem if you are having to "share" the
table between applications.

Quote:
> Hello to you,
> Just moving from foxpro 2.5 (DOS) into vfp6

> Which one should we use Database table or free table ? When we need it ?

> please advice
> steven

Mon, 26 Jan 2004 04:39:12 GMT
 Database table vs Free table ?

Quote:
> Hello to you,
> Just moving from foxpro 2.5 (DOS) into vfp6

> Which one should we use Database table or free table ? When we need it ?

> please advice
> steven

Both have their place.  I put all of the application data into a
database.  This allows you to benefit from *MANY* features available
only when the tables are in a database.

The only thing I put in free tables are application "settings"
that must be independent of what database the user has open.
I do this because my applications allow the user to select
various databases to open.  Having the options and settings
in free tables make their contained data immune to changes in
databases.  If your application will always use just a single,
known database, then there is no reason to use free tables
except for temporary data storage that you don't want to
impact the production database.

-- TRW
_______________________________________
My e-mail:  t r w 7

_______________________________________

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 01:22:03 GMT

1. Databases vs. Free Tables

2. Databases vs.Free Tables

3. A recent convert (was: Databases vs. Free tables)

4. Free Tables vs DBC

5. Free tables vs dbc

6. dbc VS Free tables

7. dbc vs free table

8. DBC vs. Free Tables in ODBC

9. DBF vs Free Tables

10. .dbc vs. free tables

11. Free tables into database container.

12. Free Tables or Database