Accessing VFP files via ODBC
Author Message
 Accessing VFP files via ODBC

All,

I need to convert some data from a clients old/ancient VFP application, but
it seems that some of the files are protected (password?).

I am trying to use the MS Visual FoxPro ODBC driver (which comes with
Win2000) but when I try to access the dbf files, the system responds that
the file is not available.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get around this problem?

Sean

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 06:25:26 GMT
 Accessing VFP files via ODBC
Hi Sean:

Can you give use some more information on this issue?  Are these free
tables or tables contained in a database container (DBC)? What product are
you using with our ODBC driver to try an open the files? Access? Word?
What is the exact error message you receive?

We cannot password protect our free table files in VFP.  What makes you
think the tables are password protected? Are you prompted for a password?
In VFP 7.0, you could password protect a table contained in a DBC if you
placed code in the BeforeOpenTables event of the DBC.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>All,
>I need to convert some data from a clients old/ancient VFP application, but
>it seems that some of the files are protected (password?).
>I am trying to use the MS Visual FoxPro ODBC driver (which comes with
>Win2000) but when I try to access the dbf files, the system responds that
>the file is not available.
>Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get around this problem?
>Sean

Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:21:20 GMT
 Accessing VFP files via ODBC
Lee,

Quote:
> Can you give use some more information on this issue?  Are these free
> tables or tables contained in a database container (DBC)?

I expected that they were free tables, but in some cases they were in a DBC.
So changing the ODBC setting for that difference helped in some cases.

Quote:
> What product are you using with our ODBC driver to try an open the
> files? Access? Word?

I am trying to access the files from within MSQuery/Excel.

Quote:
> What is the exact error message you receive?

It's not that I'm getting an error message, it that not all the files are
appearing in the list of the tables to select in MS Query.

Quote:
> We cannot password protect our free table files in VFP.  What makes you
> think the tables are password protected? Are you prompted for a password?
> In VFP 7.0, you could password protect a table contained in a DBC if you
> placed code in the BeforeOpenTables event of the DBC.

As I explore more, I'm finding that it's not password protection which is
the problem, but the mix of Open and DBC tables/files and that some files
can't be opened.

Sean

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 04:33:57 GMT
 Accessing VFP files via ODBC
Hi Sean:

Thanks for the update and the additional information. I have seen this
problem before, but I don't have a 'silver bullet' that fixes it in all
cases.  In fact, I have never been able to determine the exact cause.

Since the main problem is that you are not seeing all the files, try this:

1. Make sure the Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver is configured properly to
see either free tables or tables in a DBC.
2. Disable any anti virus software you have running on the machine and try
to access the files again.
3. Create a new folder and copy all the files to the new folder.  Try to
access the tables from the new folder.

Do you have a copy of Visual FoxPro on your machine?

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Lee,

Quote:
> Can you give use some more information on this issue?  Are these free
> tables or tables contained in a database container (DBC)?
>I expected that they were free tables, but in some cases they were in a
DBC.
>So changing the ODBC setting for that difference helped in some cases.
> What product are you using with our ODBC driver to try an open the
> files? Access? Word?
>I am trying to access the files from within MSQuery/Excel.
> What is the exact error message you receive?
>It's not that I'm getting an error message, it that not all the files are
>appearing in the list of the tables to select in MS Query.
> We cannot password protect our free table files in VFP.  What makes you
> think the tables are password protected? Are you prompted for a password?
> In VFP 7.0, you could password protect a table contained in a DBC if you
> placed code in the BeforeOpenTables event of the DBC.
>As I explore more, I'm finding that it's not password protection which is
>the problem, but the mix of Open and DBC tables/files and that some files
>can't be opened.
>Sean

Sun, 25 Sep 2005 05:16:15 GMT
 Accessing VFP files via ODBC
Lee,

Quote:
> Since the main problem is that you are not seeing all the files, try this:
> 3. Create a new folder and copy all the files to the new folder.  Try to
> access the tables from the new folder.

This was the trick!

The path to the files was too long?  I moved the files to a different
directory and all was well!

Thanks for your help!

Sean

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 03:23:24 GMT
 Accessing VFP files via ODBC
Hi Sean:

I am glad that helped.  If you copy the files back to the original folder,
can you see them listed when using the ODBC driver?  What is the name of
the original folder?  What is the name of the new folder? I guess neither
of the other two suggestions helped, right?

I am not sure why this helps with some customers.  I think it might be
related to a temp bit flag getting set on the tables (kind of like the
archive bit flag), but this is speculation on my part.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

Quote:
>Lee,
> Since the main problem is that you are not seeing all the files, try this:
> 3. Create a new folder and copy all the files to the new folder.  Try to
> access the tables from the new folder.
>This was the trick!
>The path to the files was too long?  I moved the files to a different
>directory and all was well!
>Thanks for your help!
>Sean
>Hi Sean:
>Thanks for the update and the additional information. I have seen this
>problem before, but I don't have a 'silver bullet' that fixes it in all
>cases.  In fact, I have never been able to determine the exact cause.
>Since the main problem is that you are not seeing all the files, try this:

>1. Make sure the Microsoft Visual FoxPro Driver is configured properly to
>see either free tables or tables in a DBC.
>2. Disable any anti virus software you have running on the machine and try
>to access the files again.
>3. Create a new folder and copy all the files to the new folder.  Try to
>access the tables from the new folder.
>Do you have a copy of Visual FoxPro on your machine?
>I hope this helps.
>Sincerely,
>Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
>Lee Mitchell
>Lee,
> Can you give use some more information on this issue?  Are these free
> tables or tables contained in a database container (DBC)?
>I expected that they were free tables, but in some cases they were in a
DBC.
>So changing the ODBC setting for that difference helped in some cases.
> What product are you using with our ODBC driver to try an open the
> files? Access? Word?
>I am trying to access the files from within MSQuery/Excel.
> What is the exact error message you receive?
>It's not that I'm getting an error message, it that not all the files are
>appearing in the list of the tables to select in MS Query.
> We cannot password protect our free table files in VFP.  What makes you
> think the tables are password protected? Are you prompted for a password?
> In VFP 7.0, you could password protect a table contained in a DBC if you
> placed code in the BeforeOpenTables event of the DBC.
>As I explore more, I'm finding that it's not password protection which is
>the problem, but the mix of Open and DBC tables/files and that some files
>can't be opened.
>Sean

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 22:15:55 GMT

1. Using VFP to access VFP tables via ODBC

2. Accessing VFP3 files via ODBC

3. Using SQLConfigDataSource to access mdb file via ODBC

4. VFP via Access/ODBC

5. Accessing .dbf via vfp odbc

6. Updating Access table via ODBC from Fox

7. Updating Access via ODBC

8. Accessing FoxPro via ODBC - DELETED Rows HELP!!

9. Query an Access fle from VFP5 via ODBC

10. Help: Accessing Lotus Notes via ODBC from FoxPro 2.6

11. Accessing Visual FoxPro 5 Via ODBC

12. VFP 5.0 - ODBC file Access