help - Settings/reliability of VFP...
Author Message
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...

Hi All,

Do any of you have contant battles with your 'VFP' settings?

What I mean is for instance:-

You start foxpro up,

1 Type Dir.. and you find the text is in 'italics' and a size other than the
   last time you used it? (also seems to be no way to control this?)

2. You have your settings so that 'line numbers' appear on the stat bar
when editing....... and find that sometimes it works, other times - no way.

3. You have your settings so that 'on error' a .wav file is played, but
next time you go look at that setting, it's set to 'none' i.e. no sound!

4. You go to set the settings for the command window, and find
all the settings are 'greyed out' and cannot be used...

5. You get the 'properties' box popping up, when designing a
form and you dont want it to?

Surely setting the 'settings' once out to be enough......

Can anyone shed light here? cos from where I'm sitting, it's
a dog of a thing, is is almost worth giving up on VFP.

Thank you
Derek
Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...
VFP is a very reliable product. The whole idea of settings, after all, is
that you can set them. You don't mention what's happening on your computer
when the settings change, but probably they're being reset programmatically
or by changing the current set resource to ... setting.
- Lew S

Quote:
> Hi All,

> Do any of you have contant battles with your 'VFP' settings?

> What I mean is for instance:-

> You start foxpro up,

> 1 Type Dir.. and you find the text is in 'italics' and a size other than
the
>    last time you used it? (also seems to be no way to control this?)

> 2. You have your settings so that 'line numbers' appear on the stat bar
> when editing....... and find that sometimes it works, other times - no
way.

> 3. You have your settings so that 'on error' a .wav file is played, but
> next time you go look at that setting, it's set to 'none' i.e. no sound!

> 4. You go to set the settings for the command window, and find
> all the settings are 'greyed out' and cannot be used...

> 5. You get the 'properties' box popping up, when designing a
> form and you dont want it to?

> Surely setting the 'settings' once out to be enough......

> Can anyone shed light here? cos from where I'm sitting, it's
> a dog of a thing, is is almost worth giving up on VFP.

> Thank you
> Derek
> Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...
(thanks for your input)

But Lew I did explain what happens.......

I quite clearly described what happens...

As for VFP being reliable, well, you could have fooled me, it's
quite the opposite....

Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote???

I set the settings..... they do NOT remain set, they are eratic
and behave it whatever way they want to........ how's that
for unreliable..... and of course I don't progammatically change
them.

I re-read what I wrote...... yes, makes clear sense......

It must be quite clear?

1. I set a setting.....
2. I save it as default......
3. I quit  VFP
4. I restart VFP - result..... settings changed!
for example..... main window set to 'Arial 10 point'
After restart.......... it may have changed to anything..

completely unreliable.
Thanks anyhow
Derek.

Quote:
> VFP is a very reliable product. The whole idea of settings, after all, is
> that you can set them. You don't mention what's happening on your computer
> when the settings change, but probably they're being reset
programmatically
> or by changing the current set resource to ... setting.
> - Lew S

> > Hi All,

> > Do any of you have contant battles with your 'VFP' settings?

> > What I mean is for instance:-

> > You start foxpro up,

> > 1 Type Dir.. and you find the text is in 'italics' and a size other than
> the
> >    last time you used it? (also seems to be no way to control this?)

> > 2. You have your settings so that 'line numbers' appear on the stat bar
> > when editing....... and find that sometimes it works, other times - no
> way.

> > 3. You have your settings so that 'on error' a .wav file is played, but
> > next time you go look at that setting, it's set to 'none' i.e. no sound!

> > 4. You go to set the settings for the command window, and find
> > all the settings are 'greyed out' and cannot be used...

> > 5. You get the 'properties' box popping up, when designing a
> > form and you dont want it to?

> > Surely setting the 'settings' once out to be enough......

> > Can anyone shed light here? cos from where I'm sitting, it's
> > a dog of a thing, is is almost worth giving up on VFP.

> > Thank you
> > Derek
> > Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...
Derek,

These settings are saved in the FoxUser.dbf file.  You can have several
FoxUser files in different places and tell FoxPro which one to use in the
Config.fpw.  You can set the Config.fpw in the command line of the shortcut
like :

"D:\Microsoft Visual Studio\Vfp98\VFP6.EXE" -CD:\MyProg\CONFIG.FPW
and in the config file specify the FoxUser with
RESOURCE = D:\MyFoxuser.dbf

At any time you can delete the FoxUser and FoxPro will create a new one for
you.  However, everything stored there will be back to the defaults.  You
can read more about this in Chapter 3 of the Programmer's guide in the docs
that came with VFP.  (These are on the MSDN CD and also online at
msdn.microsoft.com.

You sound pretty frustrated.  May I recommend that you spend time reading
the docs.  You will also learn more when you dig it up yourself than if you
just ask.

When you do post, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Folks donating their time to answer questions here will always respond
better to "please tell me what I'm missing" than to "FoxPro is stupid
because it's not organized the way I want it to be."

If you're really that frustrated, maybe FoxPro is not the right tool for
you.  It's not an "easy" or "instant" language.  We all have situations
where we do best.  Perhaps you should try something else.  For me, I figured
that I was at least as smart as half of the other people, and dove in and
worked hard.  Eventually I got past the frustrating part and started to feel
like I was "getting somewhere."  Best of luck to you.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| (thanks for your input)
|
| But Lew I did explain what happens.......
|
| I quite clearly described what happens...
|
| As for VFP being reliable, well, you could have fooled me, it's
| quite the opposite....
|
| Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote???
|
| I set the settings..... they do NOT remain set, they are eratic
| and behave it whatever way they want to........ how's that
| for unreliable..... and of course I don't progammatically change
| them.
|
| I re-read what I wrote...... yes, makes clear sense......
|
| It must be quite clear?
|
| 1. I set a setting.....
| 2. I save it as default......
| 3. I quit  VFP
| 4. I restart VFP - result..... settings changed!
| for example..... main window set to 'Arial 10 point'
| After restart.......... it may have changed to anything..
|
| completely unreliable.
| Thanks anyhow
| Derek.
|

| > VFP is a very reliable product. The whole idea of settings, after all,
is
| > that you can set them. You don't mention what's happening on your
computer
| > when the settings change, but probably they're being reset
| programmatically
| > or by changing the current set resource to ... setting.
| > - Lew S

| > > Hi All,
| > >
| > > Do any of you have contant battles with your 'VFP' settings?
| > >
| > > What I mean is for instance:-
| > >
| > > You start foxpro up,
| > >
| > > 1 Type Dir.. and you find the text is in 'italics' and a size other
than
| > the
| > >    last time you used it? (also seems to be no way to control this?)
| > >
| > > 2. You have your settings so that 'line numbers' appear on the stat
bar
| > > when editing....... and find that sometimes it works, other times - no
| > way.
| > >
| > > 3. You have your settings so that 'on error' a .wav file is played,
but
| > > next time you go look at that setting, it's set to 'none' i.e. no
sound!

| > > 4. You go to set the settings for the command window, and find
| > > all the settings are 'greyed out' and cannot be used...
| > >
| > > 5. You get the 'properties' box popping up, when designing a
| > > form and you dont want it to?
| > >
| > > Surely setting the 'settings' once out to be enough......
| > >
| > > Can anyone shed light here? cos from where I'm sitting, it's
| > > a dog of a thing, is is almost worth giving up on VFP.
| > >

| > > Thank you
| > > Derek
| > > Australia.

Thu, 06 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...
Derek,

It can be a pain to make it remember things because it's not always obvious
where settings are coming from. I find the easiest way is as follows:

Put all your projects in seperate folders, say a folder call MYPROJ. Find a
copy of FOXUSER.DBF/FPT somewhere (doesn't matter where). Put them in your
folder. Create a MYPROJ.FP text file in that folder with :

DEFAULT  = C:\VFPDEV\MYPROJ\
RESOURCE = C:\VFPDEV\FOXUSER.DBF
RESOURCE = ON

Then create a shortcut to VFP.EXE. In the Target box put something like:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Vfp98\Vfp6.exe" -cC:\vfpdev\myproj\myproj.fp

The important part there is the -c parameter, the rest will be filled in
automatically. Also change the Start In directory for the shortcut to:

 C:\VFPDEV\MYPROJ

Call your shortcut Visual Foxpro - MYPROJ or whatever. Now when you click
it, it'll start VFP with the specified config file MYPROJ.FP. That config
file specifies the FOXUSER.DBF in the MYPROJ dir as holding the settings.
Anything you change should then be saved in there for next use. Repeat for
any other projects you have - you can re-use the FOXUSER files to keep font
settings etc.

VFP *does* work differently than environments you may be used to, it's a
throwback in some ways but incredibly powerful in others - the immediate
mode of the command window for example. And I had the same frustrations and
hurdles when trying to get into Delphi. The config settings *are* a pain but
the above method works perfectly for me and seems to be the easiest.

Quote:
> (thanks for your input)

> But Lew I did explain what happens.......

> I quite clearly described what happens...

> As for VFP being reliable, well, you could have fooled me, it's
> quite the opposite....

> Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote???

> I set the settings..... they do NOT remain set, they are eratic
> and behave it whatever way they want to........ how's that
> for unreliable..... and of course I don't progammatically change
> them.

> I re-read what I wrote...... yes, makes clear sense......

> It must be quite clear?

> 1. I set a setting.....
> 2. I save it as default......
> 3. I quit  VFP
> 4. I restart VFP - result..... settings changed!
> for example..... main window set to 'Arial 10 point'
> After restart.......... it may have changed to anything..

> completely unreliable.
> Thanks anyhow
> Derek.

> > VFP is a very reliable product. The whole idea of settings, after all,
is
> > that you can set them. You don't mention what's happening on your
computer
> > when the settings change, but probably they're being reset
> programmatically
> > or by changing the current set resource to ... setting.
> > - Lew S

> > > Hi All,

> > > Do any of you have contant battles with your 'VFP' settings?

> > > What I mean is for instance:-

> > > You start foxpro up,

> > > 1 Type Dir.. and you find the text is in 'italics' and a size other
than
> > the
> > >    last time you used it? (also seems to be no way to control this?)

> > > 2. You have your settings so that 'line numbers' appear on the stat
bar
> > > when editing....... and find that sometimes it works, other times - no
> > way.

> > > 3. You have your settings so that 'on error' a .wav file is played,
but
> > > next time you go look at that setting, it's set to 'none' i.e. no
sound!

> > > 4. You go to set the settings for the command window, and find
> > > all the settings are 'greyed out' and cannot be used...

> > > 5. You get the 'properties' box popping up, when designing a
> > > form and you dont want it to?

> > > Surely setting the 'settings' once out to be enough......

> > > Can anyone shed light here? cos from where I'm sitting, it's
> > > a dog of a thing, is is almost worth giving up on VFP.

> > > Thank you
> > > Derek
> > > Australia.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...

Derek,

150K ?  As I noted previously, my "Hello World" compiled to 8kb.  Your app
must surely have a lot of excess "junk" to make up the rest of the 142k.

What did you do, add an interface or something?  <giggling>

--

> [...]

| > > (thanks for your input)
| > >
| > > But Lew I did explain what happens.......
| > >
| > > I quite clearly described what happens...
| > >
| > > As for VFP being reliable, well, you could have fooled me, it's
| > > quite the opposite....
| > >
| > > Perhaps you didn't read what I wrote???
| > >
| > > I set the settings..... they do NOT remain set, they are eratic
| > > and behave it whatever way they want to........ how's that
| > > for unreliable..... and of course I don't progammatically change
| > > them.
| > >
| > > I re-read what I wrote...... yes, makes clear sense......
| > >
| > > It must be quite clear?
| > >
| > > 1. I set a setting.....
| > > 2. I save it as default......
| > > 3. I quit  VFP
| > > 4. I restart VFP - result..... settings changed!
| > > for example..... main window set to 'Arial 10 point'
| > > After restart.......... it may have changed to anything..

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
> [...]

> > them.

> > I re-read what I wrote...... yes, makes clear sense......

> > It must be quite clear?

> > 1. I set a setting.....
> > 2. I save it as default......
> > 3. I quit  VFP
> > 4. I restart VFP - result..... settings changed!
> > for example..... main window set to 'Arial 10 point'
> > After restart.......... it may have changed to anything..

> > completely unreliable.
> > Thanks anyhow
> > Derek.

> > > VFP is a very reliable product. The whole idea of settings, after all,
> is
> > > that you can set them. You don't mention what's happening on your
> computer
> > > when the settings change, but probably they're being reset
> > programmatically
> > > or by changing the current set resource to ... setting.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 00:39:10 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...

Huh... *pout*

Hey Cindy.....
Bet my 'exe' is bigger than yours.....  hehehe

Yep, I sure did, a beeeyoooootiful VFP interface that reads and
writes barcodes, does lookups in grids, searches, incremental,
adds, edits, deletes, calculates taxes.... updates charge accounts
and heaps more..... 150k - peanuts.......

and all in a pretty jade color!! (<- the important bit)

However Cindy.. I'm still green with envy *G

Hmmm... how this girl make 8k exe?.... me gotta get to work,
have contest, make worlds smallest "exe" (laughing!)

Ok, Cindy the challenge is on!

Take care & enjoy
Derek.

Quote:
> [...]

> | > file specifies the FOXUSER.DBF in the MYPROJ dir as holding the
> settings.
> | > Anything you change should then be saved in there for next use. Repeat
> for
> | > any other projects you have - you can re-use the FOXUSER files to keep
> | font
> | > settings etc.
> | >
> | > VFP *does* work differently than environments you may be used to, it's
> | > throwback in some ways but incredibly powerful in others - the
immediate
> | > mode of the command window for example. And I had the same
frustrations
> | and
> | > hurdles when trying to get into Delphi. The config settings *are* a
pain
> | but
> | > the above method works perfectly for me and seems to be the easiest.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...
Use the option to take out the debug code. Right click on the prj, got to
Project Info, uncheck Debug Code. Although for a complex app it won't make
it much smaller.

Quote:

> Huh... *pout*

> Hey Cindy.....
> Bet my 'exe' is bigger than yours.....  hehehe

> Yep, I sure did, a beeeyoooootiful VFP interface that reads and
> writes barcodes, does lookups in grids, searches, incremental,
> adds, edits, deletes, calculates taxes.... updates charge accounts
> and heaps more..... 150k - peanuts.......

> and all in a pretty jade color!! (<- the important bit)

> However Cindy.. I'm still green with envy *G

> Hmmm... how this girl make 8k exe?.... me gotta get to work,
> have contest, make worlds smallest "exe" (laughing!)

> Ok, Cindy the challenge is on!

> Take care & enjoy
> Derek.

> > Derek,

> > 150K ?  As I noted previously, my "Hello World" compiled to 8kb.  Your
app
> > must surely have a lot of excess "junk" to make up the rest of the 142k.

> > What did you do, add an interface or something?  <giggling>

> > --

> > Cindy Winegarden
> > Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

> > Duke Children's Information Systems
> > Duke University Medical Center

> > | Thanks Guys, especiallly you Surge....
> > |
> > | Extremely helpful indeed.....
> > |
> > | I believe I have found the 'culprit' anyhow...
> > |

> > | I spent 1/2 day looking into what it actually does......
> > | and yep, it does it's thing alright!
> > |
> > | It points to stuff all over the place!
> > |
> > | Made a test app with the wiz.... made an exe into
> > | where my code was... result..... exe will not run....
> > | (all of the newbies get that one *G)
> > | ps the EXE the wizard made was 1200k
> > |
> > | Created a blank project, put my stuff in there
> > | made an exe... bingo.....
> > | now the exe will run anywhere... even among my other
> > | code....
> > |
> > | And Wowsers..... the EXE file size is 150k!!! some
> > | 80%+ smaller..
> > |
> > | Boy, I'm learning fast,
> > | Thanks again guys!
> > |
> > | Derek
> > | Australia.

> > | obvious

> > Find
> > your

> like:

> in

> > click
> > config
> > settings.
Repeat
> > for
> > | font

> immediate
> frustrations
> > | and
> pain
> > | but

> > all,

> > other
> > this?)

> > stat
> > times -
> > | no

> > played,
> no

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 help - Settings/reliability of VFP...

Still, 8 kb seems to be about the minimum.

--

Cindy Winegarden
Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro

Duke Children's Information Systems
Duke University Medical Center

| Use the option to take out the debug code. Right click on the prj, got to
| Project Info, uncheck Debug Code. Although for a complex app it won't make
| it much smaller.

| > Huh... *pout*
| >
| > Hey Cindy.....
| > Bet my 'exe' is bigger than yours.....  hehehe
| >
| > Yep, I sure did, a beeeyoooootiful VFP interface that reads and
| > writes barcodes, does lookups in grids, searches, incremental,
| > adds, edits, deletes, calculates taxes.... updates charge accounts
| > and heaps more..... 150k - peanuts.......
| >
| > and all in a pretty jade color!! (<- the important bit)
| >
| > However Cindy.. I'm still green with envy *G
| >
| > Hmmm... how this girl make 8k exe?.... me gotta get to work,
| > have contest, make worlds smallest "exe" (laughing!)
| >
| > Ok, Cindy the challenge is on!
| >
| > Take care & enjoy
| > Derek.
| >

| > > Derek,
| > >
| > > 150K ?  As I noted previously, my "Hello World" compiled to 8kb.  Your
| app
| > > must surely have a lot of excess "junk" to make up the rest of the
142k.

| > > What did you do, add an interface or something?  <giggling>
| > >
| > > --
| > >

| > > Cindy Winegarden
| > > Microsoft Certified Professional, Visual FoxPro
| > >
| > > Duke Children's Information Systems
| > > Duke University Medical Center

| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |
| > > |

| follows:

MYPROJ.
| > > Find
| in
| > > your

| > like:

| filled
| > in
| to:

| > > click
| > > config
| > > settings.
| Repeat
| > > for
| keep

| it's
| > immediate
| > frustrations
| > pain

| after
| > > all,

message

| > > other
| > > this?)

| > > stat
| > > times -

| > > played,
| > no

| > > |
| > > |

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. VFP 6b reliability & performance questions

2. VFP use setting of default printer for all printers - help

3. Setting preferred help in VFP 7

4. help needed on setting relations in VFP 5.0

5. Reliability in Win98

6. Reliability in Win98

7. Setting user defined page size printer settings

8. Setting FILES setting under NT 4.0

9. Newsgroup setting help

10. HELP!Setting up repeating fields

11. Help with setting relations between dbf files

12. HELP: foxpro and setting fonts w/ Win95