SET PRINTER TO NAME doesn't necessarily send reports to the correct printer
Author Message
 SET PRINTER TO NAME doesn't necessarily send reports to the correct printer

Sorry to re-post, but I need to get this under control...

We're trying to let each user pre-select a printer for each report they
print.

Simple enough, we save the username, reportname and printername to a
table, look up the user and report prior to printing, check to see that the
printer is still installed using aprinters() and set the printer using the
SET PRINTER TO NAME command.

It still prints to their default printer.

We found that if we write a program to go through each .FRX and replace the
expr, tag and tag2 fields of the first record with an empty string, it works
fine.  The only problem is that every time we modify a report, the
information is back.  We have to re-run this program before compiling.  If
we forget to do it, the reports go to the default printer.

Is there a better way?

Mike

Fri, 26 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 SET PRINTER TO NAME doesn't necessarily send reports to the correct printer

Mike,

Just make sure that you have the Default Printer selected at the time you
edit and
save your reports. Then they should be able to select any Windows Printer
and
have the report print there. M$ does not reconize this as a BUG!!! They say
"By Design"....???
Go figure...

Scott

Quote:
> Sorry to re-post, but I need to get this under control...

> We're trying to let each user pre-select a printer for each report they
> print.

> Simple enough, we save the username, reportname and printername to a
> table, look up the user and report prior to printing, check to see that
the
> printer is still installed using aprinters() and set the printer using
the
> SET PRINTER TO NAME command.

> It still prints to their default printer.

> We found that if we write a program to go through each .FRX and replace
the
> expr, tag and tag2 fields of the first record with an empty string, it
works
> fine.  The only problem is that every time we modify a report, the
> information is back.  We have to re-run this program before compiling.
If
> we forget to do it, the reports go to the default printer.

> Is there a better way?

> Mike

Sun, 28 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. SET PRINTER TO NAME doesn't necessarily send reports there...

2. set printer to \\machine name\printer

3. Can't SET PRINTER TO NAME

4. Using SET PRINTER TO NAME and printing reports

5. How to send Printer Command to printer ??

6. How to send printer char to printer ?

7. PRINTER SELECTION doesn't work

8. fp2.6 into xp pro and now my printer doesn't work

9. Printing from VFP7 to default Printer or any named printer

10. FPW2.6 printing to network printer w/SET DEVICE TO PRINTER

11. VFP use setting of default printer for all printers - help

12. How to set a printer as a default printer using VFP