COM for APC UPS
Author Message
 COM for APC UPS

Does anyone know of a COM object for interfacing with APC UPS's?

I'm trying to develop an application for documenting receipts on a warehouse
floor.  The application will be run on a PC that is set up on a cart with a
wireless-LAN connection and an APC UPS for power.

Because the application uses LAN databases with memo fields, I'm nervous about
the PC dropping off line when the battery runs out.  APC has software that can
signal a NT machine to shut down, but I'm looking for something more-closely
integrated into my application.  Also, I don't want the machine to shut down as
soon as the UPS encounters a power failure, because the normal operation will
be to charge the cart overnight, then run from battery power for the shift.

I'm hoping that someone knows of a COM that can communicate directly with the
APC UPS.  For example, I want my application to poll the battery and display a
warning message that the application cannot be loaded (or is shutting down)
because there is less than five minutes of battery time left.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,
David B. Cass
U.S. Navy, FISC Norfolk, VA

Sun, 10 Aug 2003 03:57:04 GMT
 COM for APC UPS
Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't know of any COM object or ActiveX control for an APC
UPS. It may be worthwhile contacting them direct on www.apc.com

If you're using a Smart-UPS 650VA or upwards, you should get around half an
hour backup if it's only supplying a single PC, and the native software
(Powerchute) can be configured to handle warning and shutdown intervals in
the event of power failure - it may be a case of training staff to deal with
certain events rather than rely on automation.

I'm not sure if you mean here that the system will be disconnected from
mains power for periods of time. In that case you may be better off looking
at portable technology, as portables tend to be designed to draw less power
and use better power management.

In any event, I would suggest turning off any client caching and flushing
writes back to the server disks at regular intervals.

Sorry I can't be of more help,
Neil

Quote:
> Does anyone know of a COM object for interfacing with APC UPS's?

> I'm trying to develop an application for documenting receipts on a
warehouse
> floor.  The application will be run on a PC that is set up on a cart with
> wireless-LAN connection and an APC UPS for power.

> Because the application uses LAN databases with memo fields, I'm nervous
about
> the PC dropping off line when the battery runs out.  APC has software that
can
> signal a NT machine to shut down, but I'm looking for something
more-closely
> integrated into my application.  Also, I don't want the machine to shut
down as
> soon as the UPS encounters a power failure, because the normal operation
will
> be to charge the cart overnight, then run from battery power for the
shift.

> I'm hoping that someone knows of a COM that can communicate directly with
the
> APC UPS.  For example, I want my application to poll the battery and
display a
> warning message that the application cannot be loaded (or is shutting
down)
> because there is less than five minutes of battery time left.

> Has anyone seen anything like this?

> Thanks,
> David B. Cass
> U.S. Navy, FISC Norfolk, VA

Sun, 10 Aug 2003 05:37:04 GMT

1. Pop Ups with Icons

2. VFP & UPS/FedEx

3. Anybody interfacing with UPS shipping software?

4. Printing UPS barcodes/maxicodes/bullet codes

5. ups shipping program

6. UPS Online Tracking - XML

7. lock-ups in W98, on NT4 network?

8. Problem reading a COM port with FPW 2.6

9. Creating COM components using Foxpro programs

10. NULL When Returning Arrays From VFP 8.0 Com Servers

11. How to open COM port

12. Com Port's