- How to SELECT from table buffered view without issuing TABLEUPDATE
Author Message
 - How to SELECT from table buffered view without issuing TABLEUPDATE

Setup: VFP6,  a parameterized view with buffering set to 5 (Optimistic table
buffering) in form's data environment.

Problem: if records of the view are modified, SELECT statement ignores
changes until TABLEUPDATE is issued for the view.

See, TABLEUPDATE will save view modifications to the base table, which
should only happen if a user chooses so(usually not a default action). So,
how can I SELECT the modified data without updating the view; or how can I
update the view without saving the data(at first) with an option to save it
later on?

Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:30:26 GMT
 - How to SELECT from table buffered view without issuing TABLEUPDATE
You'd have to use the record oriented processing commands like SCAN/ENDSCAN
and move records to another cursor manually.  You won't be able to use the
set oriented commands like SELECT.

--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP

:: Setup: VFP6,  a parameterized view with buffering set to 5
:: (Optimistic table buffering) in form's data environment.
::
:: Problem: if records of the view are modified, SELECT statement
:: ignores changes until TABLEUPDATE is issued for the view.
::
:: See, TABLEUPDATE will save view modifications to the base table,
:: which should only happen if a user chooses so(usually not a default
:: action). So, how can I SELECT the modified data without updating the
:: view; or how can I update the view without saving the data(at first)
:: with an option to save it later on?

---

Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:46:27 GMT
 - How to SELECT from table buffered view without issuing TABLEUPDATE
Ok, thanks.
In general, is there a way to tell whether a command is set oriented or
not(except by trying it out)?

Quote:
> You'd have to use the record oriented processing commands like
SCAN/ENDSCAN
> and move records to another cursor manually.  You won't be able to use the
> set oriented commands like SELECT.

> --

> Fred
> Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
> Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.

> :: Setup: VFP6,  a parameterized view with buffering set to 5
> :: (Optimistic table buffering) in form's data environment.
> ::
> :: Problem: if records of the view are modified, SELECT statement
> :: ignores changes until TABLEUPDATE is issued for the view.
> ::
> :: See, TABLEUPDATE will save view modifications to the base table,
> :: which should only happen if a user chooses so(usually not a default
> :: action). So, how can I SELECT the modified data without updating the
> :: view; or how can I update the view without saving the data(at first)
> :: with an option to save it later on?

> ---

Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:26:34 GMT
 - How to SELECT from table buffered view without issuing TABLEUPDATE
If it mentions SQL (SELECT - SQL, DELETE - SQL, etc.) in the help, it's set
oriented.  Otherwise, it's probably not.
--

Fred
Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.

:: Ok, thanks.
:: In general, is there a way to tell whether a command is set oriented
:: or not(except by trying it out)?
::

::: You'd have to use the record oriented processing commands like
::: SCAN/ENDSCAN and move records to another cursor manually.  You
::: won't be able to use the set oriented commands like SELECT.
:::
::: --
:::
::: Fred
::: Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP
::: Please respond only to the newsgroups so that all may benefit.
:::
:::
:::
::::: Setup: VFP6,  a parameterized view with buffering set to 5
::::: (Optimistic table buffering) in form's data environment.
:::::
::::: Problem: if records of the view are modified, SELECT statement
::::: ignores changes until TABLEUPDATE is issued for the view.
:::::
::::: See, TABLEUPDATE will save view modifications to the base table,
::::: which should only happen if a user chooses so(usually not a
::::: default action). So, how can I SELECT the modified data without
::::: updating the view; or how can I update the view without saving
::::: the data(at first) with an option to save it later on?
:::
:::
::: ---

---

Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:25:55 GMT

1. SELECT from a view with table buffering question

2. Help-optimistic table buffering TABLEUPDATE() failure

3. Slowdown issues with Optimistic Table Buffering?

4. Local table buffering and inbreeded procedure issue

5. SELECT on buffered views

6. SQL-Select on buffered tables

7. SQL Select & Table Buffering

8. Problem with Select SQL and table buffering

9. Problem with Select SQL and table buffering

10. SQL-Select from table-buffered cursor

11. How can you SQL select buffered tables

12. How can you SQL Select buffered tables