"There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
Author Message
 "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

I get this message after opening and closing a form five times in a row.
  What gives????  The form has a grid, and some code that SELECTS about
100 records (including a memo field) into an array.  Then the array is
processed using memowidth to build another array that contains lines of
text culled from the memo field.

Currently, on this test screen, I'm using the "close" box in the upper
right corner of the form to exit, but am I to assume that this calls the
.release method of the form?  (I've had this error message come up
before on other forms.)  Can anyone shed light on this subject?

My computer is running Win 98 with 256 megs of RAM.

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:09:03 GMT
 "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
"There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
according to help file :
Free some memory currently in use and try this operation
again
Just like it said free some memory like unused memvar,
close temp cursor or else. Do you use some
control/function than cause memory leak, or are there many
program running beside vfp. That's all I know...

Sen

Quote:

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:33:39 GMT
 "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
Kent,
My first thought on these kinds of questions is - "What version and service pack level of VFP are
you using?" (There are at least 16 that I'm aware of!) "What else is normally running on the
system?"

Rick

Quote:

> I get this message after opening and closing a form five times in a row.
>   What gives????  The form has a grid, and some code that SELECTS about
> 100 records (including a memo field) into an array.  Then the array is
> processed using memowidth to build another array that contains lines of
> text culled from the memo field.

> Currently, on this test screen, I'm using the "close" box in the upper
> right corner of the form to exit, but am I to assume that this calls the
> .release method of the form?  (I've had this error message come up
> before on other forms.)  Can anyone shed light on this subject?

> My computer is running Win 98 with 256 megs of RAM.

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 20:52:45 GMT
 "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
Hi Kent:

Many situations can cause this error.  I have seen everything from corrupt
files and data to bugs in the product cause this error to appear.

Along with Rick's questions on the version and SP of Visual FoxPro, I
suggest you try the following:

1. Add a SYS(1104) before and after each SELECT-SQL command to force VFP to
release and reorganize its internal memory. See:
269284 INFO: Undocumented Function SYS(1104)
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269284

2. Add a SYS(3050) function to the code to alter VFP memory buffer usage.
See:
176483 PRB: Large Amounts of RAM Seem to Process Data Slowly
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176483

3. Recompile the forms with a COMPILE FORM command.
4. Recreate the index (CDX) file for the table from scratch.  Do not use
the REINDEX command.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
Microsoft FoxPro Technical Support
Lee Mitchell

*-- VFP8 HAS ARRIVED!! --*
Read about all the new features of VFP8 here:
   http://www.universalthread.com/VisualFoxPro/News/VFP8Release.asp
Purchase VFP8 here:
   http://shop.microsoft.com/Referral/Productinfo.asp?siteID=11518

Keep an eye on the product lifecycle for Visual FoxPro here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;[ln];lifeprodv
   - VFP5 Mainstream Support retires June 30th, 2003
   - VFP6 Mainstream Support retires Sep. 30th, 2003

Quote:
>Kent,
>My first thought on these kinds of questions is - "What version and

service pack level of VFP are
Quote:
>you using?" (There are at least 16 that I'm aware of!) "What else is

normally running on the
Quote:
>system?"
>Rick

> I get this message after opening and closing a form five times in a row.
>   What gives????  The form has a grid, and some code that SELECTS about
> 100 records (including a memo field) into an array.  Then the array is
> processed using memowidth to build another array that contains lines of
> text culled from the memo field.

> Currently, on this test screen, I'm using the "close" box in the upper
> right corner of the form to exit, but am I to assume that this calls the
> .release method of the form?  (I've had this error message come up
> before on other forms.)  Can anyone shed light on this subject?

> My computer is running Win 98 with 256 megs of RAM.

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:27:55 GMT
 "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
I'm using Fox 7.0 SP1.  I'm not running very many other programs.  The
problem seems to be focused on this particular form, because I can
reproduce the problem faithfully.  I am building a couple of arrays, but
I assumed that the memory would be erased after the form is closed.  Is
this not true?  A dump of memory to a file reveals no lingering arrays
or vars between instances of the form.  I'm baffled.  It certainly
appears to be some kind of memory leak.
Quote:

> Kent,
> My first thought on these kinds of questions is - "What version and service pack level of VFP are
> you using?" (There are at least 16 that I'm aware of!) "What else is normally running on the
> system?"

> Rick

>>I get this message after opening and closing a form five times in a row.
>>  What gives????  The form has a grid, and some code that SELECTS about
>>100 records (including a memo field) into an array.  Then the array is
>>processed using memowidth to build another array that contains lines of
>>text culled from the memo field.

>>Currently, on this test screen, I'm using the "close" box in the upper
>>right corner of the form to exit, but am I to assume that this calls the
>>.release method of the form?  (I've had this error message come up
>>before on other forms.)  Can anyone shed light on this subject?

>>My computer is running Win 98 with 256 megs of RAM.

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 22:30:10 GMT
 "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
Kent,
I think there is a memory leak issue in VFP7. I think it
relates to labels on forms. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Perhaps Lee has further details on this.

Come to think of it, I remember reading about it in Fox
Advisor a few (?) months ago.

Cheers,

Nick

Quote:

Quote:

>>>I get this message after opening and closing a form

five times in a row.

>>>  What gives????  The form has a grid, and some code
that SELECTS about
>>>100 records (including a memo field) into an array.
Then the array is
>>>processed using memowidth to build another array that
contains lines of
>>>text culled from the memo field.

>>>Currently, on this test screen, I'm using the "close"
box in the upper
>>>right corner of the form to exit, but am I to assume
that this calls the
>>>.release method of the form?  (I've had this error
message come up
>>>before on other forms.)  Can anyone shed light on this
subject?

>>>My computer is running Win 98 with 256 megs of RAM.

>.

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 06:57:53 GMT
 "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"
Kent,

Set status off if it is on. This created a memory leak in an earlier
version. I don't know if it's been fixed. My memory leak stopped when I
turned status off.
--
Brett_Slattery

Quote:
> I get this message after opening and closing a form five times in a row.

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:28:57 GMT

1. VFP7 will not open (There is not enough memory to complete this operation)

2. not enough memory to complete this operation

3. error - There is not enough memory to complete operation

4. Not enough memory to complete this operation - vfp 3.0

5. Not enough memory to complete operation

6. There is not enough memory to complete this operation

7. Not enough memory to complete operation...

8. FPW2.5: "not enough memory"

9. "There is not enough memory to complete this operation"

10. "Not enough diskspace" during a reindex

11. Not enough memory to complete this task

12. "There is not memory to complete this operation"