FPW2.6 printing to network printer w/SET DEVICE TO PRINTER
Author Message
 FPW2.6 printing to network printer w/SET DEVICE TO PRINTER

I'm trying to run some routines under FPW2.6 that are structured like this:

SET DEVICE TO SCREEN
SET PRINTER TO
RETURN

..and I keep getting blank pieces of paper (not always, but often).  I'm
printing (from a 486 with gobs of RAM) to an HP4 on a Novell network (possibly
the source of my woes).  I've tried increasing the network timeout and every
other convolution I can think of doing to the printer setup in Windows.  I
have no trouble printing reports, or printing with LIST TO PRINT, or printing
from other applications, Windows or DOS.  I tried running my .exe on a nearby
PC that prints to the same printer and encountered the same problems.
Any suggestions?

Toby Koosman
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~tkoosman/

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.6 printing to network printer w/SET DEVICE TO PRINTER

writes:

Quote:

>I'm trying to run some routines under FPW2.6 that are structured like this:

>SET DEVICE TO PRINTER

>SET DEVICE TO SCREEN
>SET PRINTER TO
>RETURN

>..and I keep getting blank pieces of paper (not always, but often).
I'm
>printing (from a 486 with gobs of RAM) to an HP4 on a Novell network
(possibly
>the source of my woes).  I've tried increasing the network timeout and
every
>other convolution I can think of doing to the printer setup in
Windows.  I
>have no trouble printing reports, or printing with LIST TO PRINT, or
printing
>from other applications, Windows or DOS.  I tried running my .exe on a
nearby
>PC that prints to the same printer and encountered the same problems.
>Any suggestions?

Toby,
    One of the problems of using PRGs to generate reports in FPW is
that Fox assumes that anytime your row or column is less than the end
of the previous row or column it will automatically start a new page.
If your row/column over run is at the end of a page and you are eject
under program control, this could cause the blank page.  The problem of
using PRGs and TruType Fonts is that the width of a field is unknown
and unknowable.
    One suggestion is to try your report with fix length font such as
Foxprint or Courier New.

Karl S.
Boulder Software

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 FPW2.6 printing to network printer w/SET DEVICE TO PRINTER
Oops, I wasn't clear.  My problem is not *extra* blank pages.  I'm getting
blank pages instead of printed ones.

Toby Koosman
Knoxville, Tennessee  USA

http://funnelweb.utcc.utk.edu/~tkoosman/

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Printing using set device to and set printer on

2. How do you set printer to a network printer

3. FPW2.6 Print a file to network printer

4. set device to printer prompt ?

5. SET DEVICE TO PRINTER

6. Set printer or device to file

7. Problem: Set device to printer

8. VFP use setting of default printer for all printers - help

9. SET PRINTER TO NAME doesn't necessarily send reports to the correct printer

10. How to set a printer as a default printer using VFP

11. SET PRINTER TO \\machine\printer

12. How to set a printer to as a default printer using Vfp