Looking for a deeper understanding of SQL...
Author Message
 Looking for a deeper understanding of SQL...

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions on resources (face-to-face training, books,
videos ETC..) that would give me a greater understanding of the VFP
implementation of SQL. Historically, my SQL experience has been limited to
assembling views in the view designer, but I find that I'm hitting a wall
in some kinds of queries that I have to create. My interest focuses on
calculations and statistical functions within a SQL statement.

My supervisor told me that VFP's SQL is not standard ANSI SQL, so I can't
just go out and take a SQL course at a local training center or college,
can someone give me a brief on the differences?

Thanks everyone!

--
William Fields
US Bankruptcy Court

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for a deeper understanding of SQL...

Hello:

Quote:
>My supervisor told me that VFP's SQL is not standard ANSI SQL, so I can't
>just go out and take a SQL course at a local training center or college,
>can someone give me a brief on the differences?

Even though VFP is SQL is not standard ANSI SQL, taking a college course
will not harm you.  My very first experience was with standard ANSI SQL; as
a result,  the transition to VFP was quite smooth.

--Paul

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for a deeper understanding of SQL...

Quote:

>Hi All,

>I'm looking for suggestions on resources (face-to-face training, books,
>videos ETC..) that would give me a greater understanding of the VFP
>implementation of SQL. Historically, my SQL experience has been limited to
>assembling views in the view designer, but I find that I'm hitting a wall
>in some kinds of queries that I have to create. My interest focuses on
>calculations and statistical functions within a SQL statement.

>My supervisor told me that VFP's SQL is not standard ANSI SQL, so I can't
>just go out and take a SQL course at a local training center or college,
>can someone give me a brief on the differences?

Actually, VFP5 is very close to SQL-92 standards.  Previous versions
are more inline with SQL-89.  In general, however, most database
systems have their own flavors of SQL, so learning generic SQL may be
very useful in the long run.

Christopher Reed

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for a deeper understanding of SQL...

Quote:

> Hi All,

> I'm looking for suggestions on resources (face-to-face training, books,
> videos ETC..) that would give me a greater understanding of the VFP
> implementation of SQL. Historically, my SQL experience has been limited to
> assembling views in the view designer, but I find that I'm hitting a wall
> in some kinds of queries that I have to create. My interest focuses on
> calculations and statistical functions within a SQL statement.

Do you get DBMS magazine, or have access to it? (It's availalbe at Phx
library)  I've learned a TON from it's SQL column by Joe Celko (in fact,
that column is the only reason we continue to get the mag).  Older
issues are better for learning the basics.  He also gives a puzzle every
month that really is useful for learning tricks in SQL.
--
Bruce Kube
Systems Analyst

Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for a deeper understanding of SQL...

Try www.sqlforum.com .

Dr. Rozenshtein's books are a good reference for problem solving with
Transact-SQL.

I agree this is a missing link with VFP and Visual Studio components.

I'm compiling a problem solving manual as we speak using VFP SQL. This won't
be done for a while, yet.

Jeremy Lanctot
Honeywell, Inc.
Platonic Software Services, Inc.

Quote:
>I'm looking for suggestions on resources (face-to-face training, books,
>videos ETC..) that would give me a greater understanding of the VFP
>implementation of SQL. Historically, my SQL experience has been limited to
>assembling views in the view designer, but I find that I'm hitting a wall
>in some kinds of queries that I have to create. My interest focuses on
>calculations and statistical functions within a SQL statement.

>My supervisor told me that VFP's SQL is not standard ANSI SQL, so I can't
>just go out and take a SQL course at a local training center or college,
>can someone give me a brief on the differences?

>Thanks everyone!

>--
>William Fields
>US Bankruptcy Court
>Phoenix, AZ

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Looking for a deeper understanding of SQL...

Is there anything in Standard SQL that doesn't work under VFP?

Quote:

>Even though VFP is SQL is not standard ANSI SQL, taking a college course
>will not harm you.  My very first experience was with standard ANSI SQL; as
>a result,  the transition to VFP was quite smooth.

>--Paul

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Understanding Select SQL

2. Understanding Select SQL (head->brick wall)

3. Understanding Select SQL

4. Looking for info about transfer of data form vfp6 to sql server

5. Looking for a SQL generator (like BuildSQL but more recent)

6. SQL Server Mag looking for favorite tools.

7. Do nesting too deep on ON KEY LABEL

8. Do nesting too deep on ON KEY LABEL -Reply

9. nesting too deep

10. Solution for NESTED TOO DEEP

11. : Help me understand more about the CK

12. VFP 6.0 dont understand type ntext of MSQL 7.0