"Error reading file", "Error writing to file"
Author Message
 "Error reading file", "Error writing to file"

Hi,
My customer has recently been getting quite a few of these appearing
on their screen throughout the day.  They are using a VFP application
that allows me to customize certain modules of the application.  Can
you more seasoned VFP application writers offer some insight as to
what I should be checking/doing in order to remedy this annoying
problem.

Their environment is Pentium 166 with 32M RAM, 1Gb hard disks.  The
application is loaded on the file server as is the data they are using.
On a given day, there are roughly 10 users "hammering" on the system.
Order processing create 600 orders a day.  Accounting's usage is light
to moderate as is a few other areas.  Shipping is hitting the system
pretty hard for short bursts (they may process orders in 25-50 order
"batches", then not use the system for a while.

Any help is greatly appreciated as is any insight regarding networked
versus standalone configurations.

Thanks and have a great weekend,
Tom Wright

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Error reading file", "Error writing to file"

What is the file server's OS? (Netware 3.12, 4.01, 4.1, 4.11 etc. or Windows
NT 3.51, 4.0 etc.)

I mention this because It may be possible that you are exceeding the number
of open files on whatever server platform it is based on.

Are you using buffering on your forms? Optimistic, Pessimistic etc.
What about Transaction processing?

When updating tables do you use FLOCK()/RLOCK() and UNLOCK?

I started getting in the habit of doing an UNLOCK after every GATHER MEMVAR
(I don't use GATHER MEMVAR anymore) or REPLACE just to be sure I wasn't
keeping anything locked. Nowadays I use pessimistic buffering with
TABLEUPDATE() and TABLEREVERT(). Another trick to reduce problems is when a
table is only opened for reference, I open it ReadOnly = .T. or NOUPDATE and
I always add the SHARED clause when I use USE, even if SET EXCLUSIVE OFF (it
is always the default of my programs).

Sorry If this doesn't help.

Bill

Quote:

>My customer has recently been getting quite a few of these appearing
>on their screen throughout the day.  They are using a VFP application
>that allows me to customize certain modules of the application.  Can
>you more seasoned VFP application writers offer some insight as to
>what I should be checking/doing in order to remedy this annoying
>problem.
>Their environment is Pentium 166 with 32M RAM, 1Gb hard disks.  The
>application is loaded on the file server as is the data they are using.
>On a given day, there are roughly 10 users "hammering" on the system.
>Order processing create 600 orders a day.  Accounting's usage is light
>to moderate as is a few other areas.  Shipping is hitting the system
>pretty hard for short bursts (they may process orders in 25-50 order
>"batches", then not use the system for a while.
>Any help is greatly appreciated as is any insight regarding networked
>versus standalone configurations.

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Error reading file", "Error writing to file"

Hi:

    It sounds like you have definite network problems.  What kind of network
are they running? Are they using thin-wire or twisted pair Ethernet?  Is
this a Novell or NT server? Is only one workstation having the problem or
all?

Some things that I would check.  If using Novell make sure you have the
latest version of NetWare Client32.  In addition, thin-wire Ethernet has
definite problems with many users hitting the server at once.

HTH,

--Paul

Quote:

>Hi,
>My customer has recently been getting quite a few of these appearing
>on their screen throughout the day.  They are using a VFP application
>that allows me to customize certain modules of the application.  Can
>you more seasoned VFP application writers offer some insight as to
>what I should be checking/doing in order to remedy this annoying
>problem.

>Their environment is Pentium 166 with 32M RAM, 1Gb hard disks.  The
>application is loaded on the file server as is the data they are using.
>On a given day, there are roughly 10 users "hammering" on the system.
>Order processing create 600 orders a day.  Accounting's usage is light
>to moderate as is a few other areas.  Shipping is hitting the system
>pretty hard for short bursts (they may process orders in 25-50 order
>"batches", then not use the system for a while.

>Any help is greatly appreciated as is any insight regarding networked
>versus standalone configurations.

>Thanks and have a great weekend,
>Tom Wright

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Error reading file", "Error writing to file"

You've asked a pretty wide open question, Tom. I can absolutely with
confidence answer your question exactly with the words "it depends". <g>

Your first step should be observation: What are they doing when they get
either of these errors? Are they happening more on certain workstations? Do
the errors always happen in roughly the same spot?

If the errors are more scattershot, you may be looking at workstation
configuration problems. If they are more focused, this could be as simple as
a missing FoxUser resource file or a seldom-used file that has been orphaned
in the Net OS. (The owner user account deleted.)

You're going to have to provide a little more information before anyone can
even hazard a guess, I'm afraid.

Dan

Quote:

>Hi,
>My customer has recently been getting quite a few of these appearing
>on their screen throughout the day.  They are using a VFP application
>that allows me to customize certain modules of the application.  Can
>you more seasoned VFP application writers offer some insight as to
>what I should be checking/doing in order to remedy this annoying
>problem.

>Their environment is Pentium 166 with 32M RAM, 1Gb hard disks.  The
>application is loaded on the file server as is the data they are using.
>On a given day, there are roughly 10 users "hammering" on the system.
>Order processing create 600 orders a day.  Accounting's usage is light
>to moderate as is a few other areas.  Shipping is hitting the system
>pretty hard for short bursts (they may process orders in 25-50 order
>"batches", then not use the system for a while.

>Any help is greatly appreciated as is any insight regarding networked
>versus standalone configurations.

>Thanks and have a great weekend,
>Tom Wright

Tue, 10 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 "Error reading file", "Error writing to file"

Sorry for not being specific enough.  I didn't know what I need to
supply
as info.  In hind sight, the missing infor is rather obvious.  Also,
sorry
for the delay in a response.  I've been away from the newgroups.  In
fact,
if you can, please respond via E-Mail as well.

Server - HP 166Mhz, 128M RAM.  Running windows NT
Workstation - PC 166MHZ, 32M RAM running windows 95
Network - twisted pair.

The application is a compiled program with custom forms located in a
subdirectory that then override the compiled forms.  Workstations are
not
loaded with VFP, but the compiled application is.  Should I see