Closing project manager closes open tables -why?
Author Message
 Closing project manager closes open tables -why?

Don't think there is a good workaround as  long as you
use the Project Manager to open the tables.

(Just to explain what I previously meant - this works for me:
Open the PM
(if the data tab is active by accident,  close database(s) via PM
    \<Close button)
Activate any other PM tab, say Forms.
Then open some tables via USE from the command window
    or use the workarea window (not sure about the English
    name, I mean the one that appears when you type SET),
Then close PM - aliases and relations should stay.
(When you re-open the PM now, the Forms tab is active
    and PM does not care for databases when you close it
    again)

Quote:
> I can CLOSE DATA ALL, that works OK.

"steps to reproduce":
With all projects and forms closed, some tables open
    CLOSE DATABASES ALL

Now the Standard toolbar database-combo is disabled and
    ? ADATABASES(aTemp) && prints zero

Then open any project,
Open a database member table via PM Data tab. Then
    CLOSE DATABASES ALL
&& no error, all tables are closed but
    ? ADATABASES(aTemp) && still prints 1 and
Standard-toolbar-database-combo seems to be empty but
is enabled and the drop down contains your database.

WBR
-Stefan

Quote:
> I get the relations and filters where I want. I decide I don't need the PM
> open. I close it. Poof! My table close!!! WTF???
> I'm wondering what rocket scientist at Microsoft thought up that one?

<g>
"Dr {*filter*}love Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying", right?
I don't think Peter Sellers or Wernher von Braun ever worked
for MS.
Hey, the MS FoxTeam does a great job IMO. Vfp is a complex tool,
few bugs/"features" included.

"Matthew Reed" <matthewreed at emberts dot com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Quote:
> I can CLOSE DATA ALL, that works OK.

> Changing tabs makes no difference. You close the PM, it closes the tables.
> I'm guessing this is default behaviour? I'm wondering what rocket scientist
> at Microsoft thought up that one? Needless to say, it is a major pain in the
> butt. I get my tables open and browsed/edit where and with the size I want,
> I get the relations and filters where I want. I decide I don't need the PM
> open. I close it. Poof! My table close!!! WTF???

> > Hi,
> > I think there is no way to switch that behaviour off but it
> > happens only when the Data tab of the Project Manager is
> > active, or rather when a database (tree view) is left in
> > expanded mode, right? So maybe the workaround is to
> > activate any other PM tab before closing it or use the
> > PM database \<Close button to collapse the treeview.

> > The reverse side of that offensive PM behaviour is that
> > you can not CLOSE DATABASES ALL successfully from
> > the command window while the PM has a database open.

> > hth
> > -Stefan

> > "Matthew Reed" <matthewreed at emberts dot com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > > Here is a most irritating thing I've noticed - I open a couple of tables
> and
> > > have them on screen in either browse or edit window. I open project
> manager.
> > > I close project manager. When I close the project manager, the tables I
> have
> > > open close also. Is this a "feature"? If so, how do I turn it off?

Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:03:48 GMT

1. DBC Open/Close in VFP6 projects

2. Why project manager does not manage projects?

3. Close tables opened by query ?

4. closing tables opened by select-sql

5. close a database and leave open a free table

6. VFP50 problems opening and closing free tables

7. Opening and closing tables

8. Automatic open and close tables

9. VFP60 DataEnvironment - Open/Close Tables

10. Error on Closing Internet Explorer from VFP WHEN the IE window is already closed

11. Intercepting form close and appl close

12. Closing second modal form prevents closing of main VFP window