Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro
Author Message
 Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro

I'm having a problem running an EXE created from  VFP Pro.
When I try to run the EXE, I see the initial foxpro screen, then the
form comes up for about 1/4 second, then the application exits.  No
error message, no warning, nothing.  The form (and the exe) run
perfectly from the command window inside VFP.

Then I tried to create a simple form, one that has only a command
button.  The click event for that button does a "Release.thisform".  I
figured that would be the simplest program.  I got the same results
from the EXE.

Originally, I just copied the EXE to another system (the VFP300.ESL)
is already in the windows/system directory.  When that didn't work, I
used Setup Wizard to create an install disk, then ran the setup to
install the EXE.  Still didn't work.

I've had no problems creating exe's  with FP2.6 & the Dist kit, but
this is the first VFP one I've tried.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.   HELP!!!!!

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro

Quote:

> I'm having a problem running an EXE created from  VFP Pro.
> When I try to run the EXE, I see the initial foxpro screen, then the
> form comes up for about 1/4 second, then the application exits.  No
> error message, no warning, nothing.  The form (and the exe) run
> perfectly from the command window inside VFP.

> Then I tried to create a simple form, one that has only a command
> button.  The click event for that button does a "Release.thisform".  I
> figured that would be the simplest program.  I got the same results
> from the EXE.

Look up READ EVENTS, that should solve your
problem.

Scot.

Software Engineer
Strategic Advantage, Inc.      Fax: (612) 871-1151

http://www.winternet.com/~vitus/

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro

Quote:

>I'm having a problem running an EXE created from  VFP Pro.
>When I try to run the EXE, I see the initial foxpro screen, then the
>form comes up for about 1/4 second, then the application exits.  No
>error message, no warning, nothing.  The form (and the exe) run
>perfectly from the command window inside VFP.

Hola.
I'm pretty new to VFP, but I had a similar problem in 2.6, and as soon
as I switched to VFP,  I looked for the way it handles that.

As in Fox 2.6, you had to issue a READ CYCLE (foundation read)
somewhere in a PRG, MPR or SPR so that the program could start
intercepting events, in VFP that command has changed to READ EVENTS.

Possibilities:
1. If you use a menu as the startup program
    Place the READ EVENTS command in the cleanup code

2. A standalone startup program that calls a menu program
    Place the READ EVENTS command after the Do command that runs the
main menu program

3. A stand-alone program that calls a menu form]
    Place the READ EVENTS command after the DO FORM command that runs
the main menu form

In any case place the CLEAR EVENTS in the routine executed when the
user chooses the Quit or Exit option from your menu/form

I hope that you find this useful.

Bruno....

Bruno Gazzera

phone 54-1-7726640

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro

Quote:

>I'm having a problem running an EXE created from  VFP Pro.
>When I try to run the EXE, I see the initial foxpro screen, then the
>form comes up for about 1/4 second, then the application exits.  No
>error message, no warning, nothing.  The form (and the exe) run
>perfectly from the command window inside VFP.

[snip]

Quote:
>Originally, I just copied the EXE to another system (the VFP300.ESL)
>is already in the windows/system directory.  When that didn't work, I
>used Setup Wizard to create an install disk, then ran the setup to
>install the EXE.  Still didn't work.

     Ran into the EXACT same problem here at the Hygene Lab.  Program ran fine
under VFP and ALSO ran fine when running the *.exe from the PC that created
the origional code.  However, it would crash in unpredicatable ways when I
installed the icon for the "stand alone" EXE on another PC.  Here's what I was
able to discover:

     1) If VFP was installed on the PC (along with that silly VFP300.ESL file)
then the *.EXE file runs fine.

     2) If the VFP300.ESL file was missing (or in some directory other then
the EXE was), things didn't work (no real suprise there).

     3) If VFP had not yet been installed on the PC, the EXE file crashed in
the unpredicable ways you described!

     4) BUT if you installed VFP on the PC first THEN deleted it (both from
Windows and from your HD), the EXE would work just as if you had VFP
installed!!!

     This implies to me that the EXE file needs not just the VFP300.ESL, but
also at least one of the DLL files that the VFP install procedure installs
into Windows (since the windows DLL files are pretty much all the the VFP
install procedure puts in place, that isn't in it's VFP directory).  My guess
is that if you actually take the trouble to make the "install disks" this
would be handled by the "install procedure", but that's just a guess (as I've
not yet bothered fighting with the "install disk" procedure).

     What would be very handy would be some sort of easy "install DLLs"
procedure, for those of us who want to use the EXE files within an
organization (vs distributing the full application to outside parties).  I
really don't want to take the time/trouble to make install floppies (the
install disks wizard doesn't look that friendly), when we prefer to install
stuff from our network anyway!  OTOH there are two good reasons why we want to
make our applications into "stand alone" EXE files:  1) It hides the
developement environment from our users (who we don't want to have the "power"
of the full developement environment anyway), and 2) It reduces licensing
costs (as my reading of the MicroSoft license is that "stand alone
applications" do not seperate licenses for each user, provided we have the
necessary licenses for the IS programmer staff to develop those applications
in the first place.

     If anyone knows of a simplier/easer "solution" to this DLL problem
(instead of installing VFP and deleting it, just to get the DLLs installed),
I'm all ears....

     Robert

Sun, 27 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro

Quote:

Quote:

> I'm having a problem running an EXE created from  VFP Pro.
> When I try to run the EXE, I see the initial foxpro screen, then the
> form comes up for about 1/4 second, then the application exits.  No
> error message, no warning, nothing.  The form (and the exe) run
> perfectly from the command window inside VFP.

> I've had no problems creating exe's  with FP2.6 & the Dist kit, but
> this is the first VFP one I've tried.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.   HELP!!!!!

If you don't want to mess around with READ EVENTS you can just change
the form to MODAL.  (In the form designer change the WindowType property to 1
- Modal.)  Making the form Madal means that only actions related to the form
are accepted and all other VFP events are ignored.  Your form will stay on the
screen until your "exit" button is clicked.  And by the way, shouldn't it be
THISFORM.release not the other way around?

David Schwartz
Lockheed Martin Government Electronic Systems
Moorestown, NJ

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem running EXE created from VFP Pro

Quote:
>> I'm having a problem running an EXE created from  VFP Pro.
>> When I try to run the EXE, I see the initial foxpro screen, then the
>Look up READ EVENTS, that should solve your
>problem.
>Scot.

When all else fails, read the instruction  <G>.  That was the problem,
my project had ONLY a form, no controlling program to do the "read
events", etc.  I was seeing "forms" from from a Visual Basic
perspective; there the form is the program, no other stuff needed.  I
have since found the procedure documented numerous places in the VFP
manuals.  Thanks for your response...

Mon, 28 Dec 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe

2. Minimum memory to run a VFP-created .exe?

3. Running a VFP exe from another VFP exe

4. help help , with exe file created in Fox Pro

5. Problems creating stand-alone .exe in VFP 3.0

6. Running VFP 6.0 EXE problem

7. Problem of running .exe file built by VFP 3.0

8. Problem Running VFP .Exe From .BAT File

9. Error when running wizard created setup.exe

10. problem running fox pro 2.5 aplication on windows 98

11. VFP 5.0 Pro Upgrade CD to VFP 7.0 Pro Version Upgrade CD

12. VFP 5.0a pro - Distributing .exe with Ms Graph