Crystal Reports 7.0 
Author Message
 Crystal Reports 7.0

G'day all

I am considering the purchase of CR7 (costs me $690 here in Aus - thats
about $450 US) - now the distributor over here says that its compatible with
VFP3.0 - I'm only familiar with VFP6, will I be able to run CR straight off
my data or will I have to write the data to temporary tables at runtime
before executing the CR?

Thanks

Clifton

MineIT Pty. Ltd.
Brisbane, AUS



Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Crystal Reports 7.0

Clifton,

You have to copy the tables or cursors to Fox2.x format or use an ODBC
stategy. I've been working with CR for quite a while now and it's definitely
worth it. It provides far more flexibility that the native Report writer.

TIP: Use the automation server approach (CRPE32.DLL)  not the ActiveX
control. You'll have less problems distributing the app and you'll have more
flexibility.

For more Tips: You might want to contact me on the
(www.)UniversalThread(.com).

Walter Meester,

Tax Software,

Quote:
>G'day all

>I am considering the purchase of CR7 (costs me $690 here in Aus - thats
>about $450 US) - now the distributor over here says that its compatible
with
>VFP3.0 - I'm only familiar with VFP6, will I be able to run CR straight off
>my data or will I have to write the data to temporary tables at runtime
>before executing the CR?



Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Crystal Reports 7.0
G'day Clifton

I'll second what Walter had to say.
Furthermore, if you have Access installed on your PC
(treason, I know <g>), you can save yourself a bit by
buying the CR7 Upgrade version (about AUS$330).
There are other valid upgrade options apart from needing
Access (eg ReportSmith). I can't remember them all, but
I know they're listed at Seagate's web site.

I bought CR7 (the upgrade version) a couple of months ago
and I've been very impressed with its capabilities and results.
I'm using VFP6, though.

My advice is not to use ODBC (at least for working with FoxPro).
Since CR7 has native support for Fox2.x tables,
all you need to do is to copy the records you want CR to report
on to a new table (COPY TO... TYPE FOX2X).

Roger


Quote:
> G'day all

> I am considering the purchase of CR7 (costs me $690 here in Aus - thats
> about $450 US) - now the distributor over here says that its compatible with
> VFP3.0 - I'm only familiar with VFP6, will I be able to run CR straight off
> my data or will I have to write the data to temporary tables at runtime
> before executing the CR?

> Thanks

> Clifton

> MineIT Pty. Ltd.
> Brisbane, AUS



Mon, 06 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Crystal Reports 7.0
Could you give some examples of the increased flexibility?  I'm curious
because I have distributed and automated using ActiveX only.

Geoff


[Walter Meester snipped]

Quote:
> TIP: Use the automation server approach (CRPE32.DLL)  not the ActiveX
> control. You'll have less problems distributing the app and you'll have
more
> flexibility.

[Walter Meester and previous post snipped]


Wed, 08 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Crystal Reports 7.0
Geoff,

Because I havent used to ActiveX control in al long time I don't know if
some of these comments also applies to the ActiveX control:
- You can set papersize and orientation of reports at runtime regardless of
the printer you choose.
- You can completely customize the preview window by using the FoxHwnd
control on a form.
- You can write your own nextpage, previouspage, print, zoom, export
toolbarbuttons within VFP

when using the RDC automation approach with the Samrtviewer ActiveX control
you can also use:
- changing status, values, format and positions of objects at runtime.
- Scroll trough the reports with the mousewheel
- Select objects in the preview window.

RDC is a new feature within CR reports but still has got its problems. I'm
quite comfortable with the normal Automation approach. See the Developers
help for more information about using the automation server.

Because I do not frequently visit this newsgroup you might contact me at the
UniversalThread.com for more tips.

Walter,


Quote:
>Could you give some examples of the increased flexibility?  I'm curious
>because I have distributed and automated using ActiveX only.

>Geoff



>[Walter Meester snipped]
>> TIP: Use the automation server approach (CRPE32.DLL)  not the ActiveX
>> control. You'll have less problems distributing the app and you'll have
>more
>> flexibility.
>[Walter Meester and previous post snipped]



Thu, 09 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 Crystal Reports 7.0
Thanks - I am not absolutely certain that the ActiveX cannot do those
things, but I'm going to guess that it isn't as flexible.  Our clients were
pretty happy with it as-was so we didn't explore.  Using an ActiveX
interface is usually pretty simplistic.

I alluded to this a while ago (but didn't elablorate): the distribution of
our system with the ActiveX was an issue.  Basically, the documentation
didn't really tell me all the files that I needed to distribute.  And of
course the documentation is written for VB situations.  Once I finally got
to talk to someone at Seagate on the phone (web support was by-and-large a
waste of time for my problem), he recommended to me that I use the DLL
Search Expert that ships with Crystal Reports.  Using the DLL Search Expert,
I was able to determine the DLLs I needed to distribute and the problem was
solved.

Geoff


Quote:
> Geoff,

> Because I havent used to ActiveX control in al long time I don't know if
> some of these comments also applies to the ActiveX control:
> - You can set papersize and orientation of reports at runtime regardless
of
> the printer you choose.
> - You can completely customize the preview window by using the FoxHwnd
> control on a form.
> - You can write your own nextpage, previouspage, print, zoom, export
> toolbarbuttons within VFP

> when using the RDC automation approach with the Samrtviewer ActiveX
control
> you can also use:
> - changing status, values, format and positions of objects at runtime.
> - Scroll trough the reports with the mousewheel
> - Select objects in the preview window.

[Walter Meester and previous posts snipped]


Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Crystal Report vs VFP Report Writer

2. Converting FoxPro reports to Crystal Reports format.

3. Crystal Reports

4. Crystal report preview with FoxPro

5. crystal reports

6. Linking Crystal Reports 4.0 to FPW 2.6?

7. Crystal Reports Runtime Files Distribution

8. Need help with Crystal Reports

9. VFP with Crystal Report Writer

10. CRYSTAL REPORT

11. Crystal Reports 6.0 in VFP forms

12. Crystal Reports Instruction Wanted

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software