Creating an EXE in version 2.5 for DOS
Author Message
 Creating an EXE in version 2.5 for DOS

Hi fellow programmers:

I have just created my first foxpro program that I will sell commercially.

I am using foxpro 2.5 for dos and its associated SDK.

I have one question about some screen display problem and a question about
what I

can include with my commercial application.

1) The EXE I have created works perfectly but I get a couple of Foxpro
screens

   that I don't know how to remove.

   When I run my standalone EXE I get an initial screen with the following

   text:

        FoxPro 2.5 EXE Support Library

        (c) 1989-1992 Microsoft Corporation

                Registered to:

   When my program ends I get the following text appering on the DOS
screen:

        FoxPro 2.5 EXE Support library -- Normal shutdown.

   Is there any way I can surpress these screen displays ? They do not look

   particularly nice when I want to sell my application.

   I am using the build project command and selecting the "Create
Standalone

   EXE" option to build my program.

2) The program is designed to print onto a panasonic printer.  I noticed in

   that in FOxPro I can select a driver specificly for this printer(from

   the system menu).  I believe that this opens a file called genapp.???.
Is there

   a way that I can select this driver inside my program?

   Do I need to include this file with my EXE and is it legal for me to do
so?

Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated.

-- Mohamed --

Thu, 02 Jan 1997 16:59:19 GMT
[...]

: -- Mohamed --

With regards to your first Question about the screen, the solution isn't
very painful.  Irrespective of whether you're trying to startup the
Foxpro Development kit, or a .EXE program compiled using the Foxpro
Distribution Kit, you can stop the messages from appearing by executing
the program with a -T flag.

eg.

For the Foxpro Dev. Kit,    FOX -T     and the message will not appear at
start or end.

For a Foxpro compiled program, say FRED.EXE ,   FRED -T   will have a
similar effect.

From what I understand/was told/or read somewhere...
when you compile a program with the distribution kit, the Foxpro compiler
actually compiles the Foxpro interpreter into the executable.  As far as
your program code (.PRG stuff) goes, it is reduced to a form that the
interpreter can handle (and interpretes it).  Based on that what ever flag
that you can pass to the FOX.EXE, I believe (but I'm not totally sure)
you can pass it to your program .EXE and have a similar kind of effect.

If anyone out there thinks otherwise, please correct me.

Hope it helps.

Alvino...

P.S. Good luck with you 'commercialized' package.

Fri, 03 Jan 1997 21:52:46 GMT

1. Creating an EXE in version 2.5 for DOS

2. FoxPro DOS version 2.6a - Library Construction Kit 2.5

3. RUNNING AN .EXE IN 2.5 FOR DOS

4. I need a patch to FP 2.5 or 2.6 for DOS to make *.exe files

5. Blast from the past - FOXR.EXE question FOXPRO 2.5 DOS

6. FoxPro DOS 2.5 in Win DOS Shell

7. FoxPro 2.6 DOS EXE: Create Table and arrays in screens problem

8. Creating DOS based .EXE

9. Needed - Foxpro licences for version 2.5

10. Foxpro 2.6/2.5 For Chinese Version

11. FPM version 2.5 to 2.6 upgrade questions

12. Q: displaying multiple screens in FoxPro version 2.5