running program as a NT service
Author Message
 running program as a NT service

Can anyone tell me where I can find some help on running a foxpro V6 program
as a service.
I seem to remember a discussion on this newsgroup some time ago

Thanks in advance
Dave

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 06:50:11 GMT
 running program as a NT service
Hello, Dave!
You wrote  on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:50:11 -0000:

 D> Can anyone tell me where I can find some help on running a foxpro V6
 D> program as a service.
 D> I seem to remember a discussion on this newsgroup some time ago

 D> Thanks in advance
 D> Dave

This was taken from the thread "How to start VFP-Exe as Service NT/2000/XP"
in microsoft.public.fox.vfp.setup.environment, 02/18/2003:

www.universalthread.com:

 CW> Specifically download #13560, "Run a Vfp exe as a Service" and #9626,
 CW> "Running a VFP App as an NT Service".

 LM> 137890 HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service
 LM> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=137890

 LM> However, please remember that Visual FoxPro executables were not
 LM> designed to run as a Windows services.  Therefore, you may find some
 LM> problems that do not exist with tools normally used for creating
 LM> Windows services.
---
Eric den Doop

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:20:39 GMT
 running program as a NT service
Thanks for the reply
Ideally I would like to create a C++ service program that uses a vfp com
object but have had no luck doing this at all.

Quote:
> Hello, Dave!
> You wrote  on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:50:11 -0000:

>  D> Can anyone tell me where I can find some help on running a foxpro V6
>  D> program as a service.
>  D> I seem to remember a discussion on this newsgroup some time ago

>  D> Thanks in advance
>  D> Dave

> This was taken from the thread "How to start VFP-Exe as Service
NT/2000/XP"
> in microsoft.public.fox.vfp.setup.environment, 02/18/2003:

> www.universalthread.com:

>  CW> Specifically download #13560, "Run a Vfp exe as a Service" and #9626,
>  CW> "Running a VFP App as an NT Service".

>  LM> 137890 HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service
>  LM> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=137890

>  LM> However, please remember that Visual FoxPro executables were not
>  LM> designed to run as a Windows services.  Therefore, you may find some
>  LM> problems that do not exist with tools normally used for creating
>  LM> Windows services.
> ---
> Eric den Doop
> www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Sun, 28 Aug 2005 15:03:01 GMT
 running program as a NT service
Why not? What problems did you encounter?

~ Remus

Quote:
> Thanks for the reply
> Ideally I would like to create a C++ service program that uses a vfp com
> object but have had no luck doing this at all.

> > Hello, Dave!
> > You wrote  on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:50:11 -0000:

> >  D> Can anyone tell me where I can find some help on running a foxpro V6
> >  D> program as a service.
> >  D> I seem to remember a discussion on this newsgroup some time ago

> >  D> Thanks in advance
> >  D> Dave

> > This was taken from the thread "How to start VFP-Exe as Service
> NT/2000/XP"
> > in microsoft.public.fox.vfp.setup.environment, 02/18/2003:

> > www.universalthread.com:

> >  CW> Specifically download #13560, "Run a Vfp exe as a Service" and
#9626,
> >  CW> "Running a VFP App as an NT Service".

> >  LM> 137890 HOWTO: Create a User-Defined Service
> >  LM> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=137890

> >  LM> However, please remember that Visual FoxPro executables were not
> >  LM> designed to run as a Windows services.  Therefore, you may find
some
> >  LM> problems that do not exist with tools normally used for creating
> >  LM> Windows services.
> > ---
> > Eric den Doop
> > www.foxite.com - The Home Of The Visual FoxPro Experts - Powered By VFP8

Mon, 29 Aug 2005 02:11:05 GMT
 running program as a NT service
Hi, Remus!
You wrote  on Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:11:05 -0800:

 RR> Why not? What problems did you encounter?

Hmm, as VFP6 was mentioned, I don't beleive this program can survive user
LogOff... In VFP7 there was added special support:

=========Beginning of the citation==============
SYS(2340) - NT Service Support
See Also
SYS( ) Functions Overview
Disables or enables support for NT service.

SYS(2340 [,0 | 1 ])
Parameters
0
Disables support for NT Service (default).
1
Enables support for NT Service.
Return Value
Character

Remarks
This function intercepts Windows logoff messages (WM_QUERYENDSESSION and
WM_ENDSESSION) to Visual FoxPro and specifies whether to keep Visual FoxPro
COM Server instances running or to shut them down. A Visual FoxPro
application will terminate when the current user logs off Windows. If the
application is a Windows Service, then that service will terminate. Enabling
support for NT service will make it possible for Visual FoxPro applications
to continue even if the current user logs off Windows.

=========The end of the citation================

WBR, Igor

Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:00:04 GMT

1. Foxpro programs as Windows NT service

2. Foxpro programs as Windows NT services

3. Cannot create program workspace temp files - Windows NT Service

4. Problem with VFP6 exe running as NT Service

5. Run VFP as a Service under NT?

6. VFP components running as NT Service

7. Run VFP as a service under NT?

8. Running VFP as a Windows NT Service

9. Running Foxpro 2.6 programs under NT Server

10. Running a 2.6 (dos) program from Visual FoxPro 6 program

11. Running 2 programs at the same time within a program

12. RUN outside program as child of VFP Program