HTML/WWW/Xbase
Author Message
 HTML/WWW/Xbase

I have a catalog that I developed in Foxprow 2.6.
It has about 200 suppliers and about 200,000 products (photographs also).

The customer wants to offer the information via an internet WWW/HTML connection.
(It has a lot of product spec's and costs that are required by engineers.)

This may be more of a HTML problem but I would like to know some basic information before I comit myself
to making this thing work.

Does anyone know if I can do this in Foxprow and use something like Netscape as a browser?

I would like the HTML pages to access the DBF's so that every time the database is updated it would
change what the HTML document contained (OLE). Also I need to browse using MOSAIC and search by
product/supplier/price.

I already have an exellent working Foxpro program that I want to continue to use so simply switching all the
info to another platform is not a good option.

If I can do this I have several customers that would also be interested.
(and probably several Foxpro developers <g>)

Am I on the right track or just waisting my time?
Maybe there is a better way???
I'm not asking for a hand-held tutorial but any reply's will be appreciated.

****         Real Name: Eldon B Webb           ****
****          Company: Canadian ABC            ****
******* Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada  *******

Thu, 28 Aug 1997 03:10:59 GMT
 HTML/WWW/Xbase
: I have a catalog that I developed in Foxprow 2.6.
: It has about 200 suppliers and about 200,000 products (photographs also).
: The customer wants to offer the information via an internet WWW/HTML
: connection.
[...]

Unfortunately, I have not seen a Web Server which will allow you to execute
an application such as FoxPro directly. I have been working with https, which
is available on ftp://emwac.ed.ac.uk/pub/https. It allows you to execute
scripts (CGI compliant Windows NT console apps). The stdout of these scripts
should be html, which is then displayed to the user as a Web Page.

 If I were doing what you are doing, I would:

   1) buy Windows NT Server
   2) ftp the https software
   3) buy CodeBase
   4) buy 32-bit Visual C++
   5) put it all together:

  there is sample code with https which shows how to write a CGI script,
  taking query parameters from Web forms. You can link in the necessary
  CodeBase libraries to read your FoxPro tables, and return formatted html
  to the users. I really don't know of an easier way to do this, since you
  need the FoxPro table access. You could probably work out a similar solution
  on a Sun or another machine, but it seems to boil down to the fact that you
  need to build an app which can read FoxPro tables.

Hope this helps.

Brian Jepson, Senior Programmer/Analyst
Prosoft Systems International, Inc.
For info on our Visual FoxPro Guided Tour, point
your Web Browser at: http://access.digex.net/~psii/home.html

Fri, 29 Aug 1997 02:51:14 GMT
 HTML/WWW/Xbase

Quote:

> I have a catalog that I developed in Foxprow 2.6.
> It has about 200 suppliers and about 200,000 products (photographs also).

> The customer wants to offer the information via an internet WWW/HTML
connection.
> (It has a lot of product spec's and costs that are required by engineers.)

> This may be more of a HTML problem but I would like to know some basic

information before I comit myself
Quote:
> to making this thing work.

> Does anyone know if I can do this in Foxprow and use something like

Netscape as a browser?
Quote:

> I would like the HTML pages to access the DBF's so that every time the

database is updated it would
Quote:
> change what the HTML document contained (OLE). Also I need to browse

using MOSAIC and search by
Quote:
> product/supplier/price.

> I already have an exellent working Foxpro program that I want to

continue to use so simply switching all the

Quote:
> info to another platform is not a good option.

> If I can do this I have several customers that would also be interested.
> (and probably several Foxpro developers <g>)

> Am I on the right track or just waisting my time?
> Maybe there is a better way???
> I'm not asking for a hand-held tutorial but any reply's will be appreciated.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am in the final stages of developing
a perl program that generates HTML from DBF files on the fly. It allows
web users to search, view and update records in the DBF file and access
memo fields.

I will have a demo working within a month or so.

The problem I see with your database is pictures. I am not sure web
clients can handle pictures in the format that FoxPro stores them. They
may need to be converted to a new format. Is this a major concern? How
many pictures do you have?

Juan Osuna
Quixotic Consultants

Fri, 29 Aug 1997 23:18:28 GMT
 HTML/WWW/Xbase
Eldon:

I'm currently working on a project involving webb form access to a FoxPro
database. I have a HTML/WWW/Fox system up and running on my computer at
work. It alows you to enter into a webb form multiple criteria to search
on and select display order and output format (list or labels). Works
great. Email me and I'll send you my URL.

-Andrew

<SNIP>

Quote:
> Does anyone know if I can do this in Foxprow and use something like

Netscape as a browser?
Quote:
> I would like the HTML pages to access the DBF's so that every time the

database is updated it would
Quote:
> change what the HTML document contained (OLE). Also I need to browse

using MOSAIC and search by
<SNIP>

Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:22:19 GMT
 HTML/WWW/Xbase

Quote:
>   If I were doing what you are doing, I would:

>     1) buy Windows NT Server
>     2) ftp the https software
>     3) buy CodeBase
>     4) buy 32-bit Visual C++
>     5) put it all together:

>    there is sample code with https which shows how to write a CGI script,

I have several people who have submitted replys and ideas I will post them soon.

****         Real Name: Eldon B Webb           ****
****          Company: Canadian ABC            ****
******* Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada  *******

Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:25:05 GMT
 HTML/WWW/Xbase
  Excuse but...
  What is CodeBase?

--

|      __  __  __  __  __  ____  __     |                             |
|     /_/ / / /_/ /_  /_/   /   / /     |    Roberto Opazo            |

Wed, 03 Sep 1997 00:09:29 GMT
 HTML/WWW/Xbase

Quote:

> I have a catalog that I developed in Foxprow 2.6.
> Am I on the right track or just waisting my time?
> Maybe there is a better way???

I am contemplating the same sort of issue and this is what I
think is an option:

Instead of a dymanic link, ie a change in the dbf is immediately
relfected in html link by OLE or whatever, I figure that the
database module must/could generate or update, either periodically
or on the fly, the ASCII html file when the changes are made.

This does mean that data is duplicated, but this does seem like
an easy and practical way to do such links.

html is easy to generate from a prg.Its all ASCII and the Tags are
easy enough to structure.

I havent tried this yet bu am plaaning to do so soon.

Cheers,

Bruce Gillespie

url: http://www.pcb.co.za

Wed, 03 Sep 1997 21:27:04 GMT

1. Foxpro--> WWW(html) link

2. WWW/FOXPRO/HTML (SUMMARY)

3. Save as HTML? reports to HTML

4. 9 Volt - The greatest electronic band ever!! - http://www.smart.net/~kkvech/index.html

5. www search page wizard (vfp 6.0)

6. FPW 2.6a on the WWW

7. FoxPro linked to WWW

8. FoxPro Yellow Pages WWW site

9. WWW access to FP databases?

10. FoxPro and the WWW

11. WWW & FooxPro

12. Shared Code, Procedures, UDFs: FTP / WWW site?