Big PRG or Small PRG?
Author Message
 Big PRG or Small PRG?

I have used PRG to write a class. The PRG is getting big.
Do you think it is better to split it into small PRG files
or just let it bigger and bigger.

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 11:57:07 GMT
 Big PRG or Small PRG?

Quote:
> I have used PRG to write a class. The PRG is getting big.
> Do you think it is better to split it into small PRG files
> or just let it bigger and bigger.

If you split the prg, the small prg's will add up to the same size. Unless
you can exclude some prg's from your exe's (that is, if you use application
specific code and non-application specific code in an enviroment where you
maintain multiple exes) I see no reason to split it up.

Personally I just don't like the idea of tons of prg's on my disk.

Now somebody else will tell you they DO see reason to split it up :)

Robert

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:25:20 GMT
 Big PRG or Small PRG?
There might be a tiny performance hit with lots of little prgs as opposed to
one big one. Also I would have though it was easier to edit if everything is
in one file.

Quote:
> I have used PRG to write a class. The PRG is getting big.
> Do you think it is better to split it into small PRG files
> or just let it bigger and bigger.

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:07:17 GMT
 Big PRG or Small PRG?
I recommend many "non big" prg's. if you can.  Each class in its own prg.
Each of the individual prg's load faster in the editor. When you come back
to it, the cursor is right where you left it. On your last change, the one
likely to have the bug.

But you said "I have used PRG to write a class" - A Class singular.  I don't
think you can split the DEFINE CLASS and ENDCLASS across files.

Quote:
> There might be a tiny performance hit with lots of little prgs as opposed
> one big one. Also I would have though it was easier to edit if everything
is
> in one file.

> > I have used PRG to write a class. The PRG is getting big.
> > Do you think it is better to split it into small PRG files
> > or just let it bigger and bigger.

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:21:00 GMT
 Big PRG or Small PRG?
William,

As others have said, it's a matter of taste. You might find the Document
View window in VFP7 helpful when navigating through a large program.

--

Cindy Winegarden  MCSD, Microsoft MVP

http://cindywinegarden.adsl.duke.edu

Quote:
> I have used PRG to write a class. The PRG is getting big.
> Do you think it is better to split it into small PRG files
> or just let it bigger and bigger.

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 22:14:57 GMT
 Big PRG or Small PRG?
A good thing about small prg is easier version control,
and software update at production server. When your exe
rum, you cannot apply patches to it.

Even debugging could be easier with a collection of
reasoable sized programs.

Quote:

> I have used PRG to write a class. The PRG is getting big.
> Do you think it is better to split it into small PRG files
> or just let it bigger and bigger.

Mon, 05 Apr 2004 09:59:26 GMT

1. Executing a PRG from a PRG

2. How to turn small PRG to EXE

3. Page preview Zoom Percent 75% too small 100 % too big

4. format too big or too small when printing report

5. Print problem: font too small or too big

6. Printing in 2 time small or big fonts

7. Prg to exe

8. how to reindex in prg (VFX7/Win98)

9. VFP Problem: traslate VCX class to PRG

10. report to prg utility

11. FoxPro 1.02 *.fxp to *.prg possible?

12. 30update.prg?